DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in a JVC KD X270BT
when i turn unit off , then turn car off, when i turn car back on it starts up.. is it supposed to do that??
i assumed if i had radio off, then turn car off, when i turn car on , the radio would still be off, and i would manually have to turn it on...
i have the battery wire to battery and had ignition wire to ignition, but the radio would not even come of when it was wired like that ( the correct way ) so i put battery wire to ignition and ignition to battery and it comes on, but does what i say... yellow is supposed to be battary, buy goes to ignition and red goes to battery...
any ideas?????
are there other wires im missing.. i have ground... and i have an antenna hooked up that works...

· Registered
2,204 Posts
There are 3 wires you need to install correctly. 12v constant battery, ignition (switched), and ground.

The battery wire is wired to the battery and is always hot, when the car is off this wire will provide a very small amount of current to the HU to retain memory. When the HU is on this wire provide power to the HU. The Ignition wire will switch on when the car is turned ON. This will boot up the HU. Finally you got ground, which is obvious.

Get a cheap monitor or test light and check your ignition and battery are the correct wires. Car OFF the battery should be ON and Ignition OFF. Car On, both he ON.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi - i did all that when hooked up correct i get no power at all.... when i reverse red and yellow it runs fine... but my queston is - is it supposed to come on ALL the time you turn your car on???? or should it stay off if left off prior? is there some reason it ALWAYS strarts when car comes on? like for blutooth or something? what if i want it to stay off when car comes on?

· Registered
103 Posts
I've found most if not all headunits will turn ON, when power is applied to the Acc/Ign switched wire, regardless of the last used state being ON or OFF.

Wire it how Lithium described, the unit needs the permanent battery feed to keep memory settings, without that it would be a PITA having to re-set/re-tune etc every time.

Is it a big issue for you?

· Registered
4,501 Posts
i tried wiring it the propper way and zero power.... when i hook it up opposite it still keeps the presets.. maybe guy in factory got the wires wrong and put red and yellow in wrong spots/
Sorry but something was incorrect… it’s simple, 12v on two wires and earth on the other and it ‘will’ work, if it didn’t you were missing one of these regardless of what you think

start off with an earth from the chassis, not the current factory one, literally screw a ring terminal to a good earth, and then put both yellow and red to your perm power wire, if the stereo turns on the perm is good…

If it doesn’t you need to run a dedicated power line and do the above again

This is three wires and one is wrong… simple diagnostics will sort, do the above and get back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.