DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I walk into a car stereo shop today that I know has a great installer and asked them if they had any sub amps that put out around 1000 watts that's not made in China as I was trying to put together a system with non-china manufactured components. This place sells Arc Audio, Hertz, Kicker and maybe a couple others. The girl I was talking to looked at me like I was speaking Russian. There were 4 guys from the shop/install bay and one of them looked at me and said all amps are made in China now. I said well nah, Mmats, Tru Tech, Mosconi, Helix and some others aren't but I'd like to buy from y'all instead of online if possible. All 4 guys immediately went back into the install bay and the girl was still looking at me like I was from another planet. How are these shops sooo incredibly f'n clueless? I asked the same shop if they did any active tuning and they looked at me like I was from another galaxy even though I know the lead installer there does some very high end installs and tunes. It's like they want people to come there and say how much they have to spend and put whatever they want/can in for that price and want you to know zero about anything. Oh yeah I just remembered, they sell Audison too. Anyway, she said they had nothing not made in China so I left.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
So I walk into a car stereo shop today that I know has a great installer and asked them if they had any sub amps that put out around 1000 watts that's not made in China as I was trying to put together a system with non-china manufactured components. This place sells Arc Audio, Hertz, Kicker and maybe a couple others. The girl I was talking to looked at me like I was speaking Russian. There were 4 guys from the shop/install bay and one of them looked at me and said all amps are made in China now. I said well nah, Mmats, Tru Tech, Mosconi, Helix and some others aren't but I'd like to buy from y'all instead of online if possible. All 4 guys immediately went back into the install bay and the girl was still looking at me like I was from another planet. How are these shops sooo incredibly f'n clueless? I asked the same shop if they did any active tuning and they looked at me like I was from another galaxy even though I know the lead installer there does some very high end installs and tunes. It's like they want people to come there and say how much they have to spend and put whatever they want/can in for that price and want you to know zero about anything. Oh yeah I just remembered, they sell Audison too. Anyway, she said they had nothing not made in China so I left.
Just buy online, much larger selection there.

Reactions: audiobaun

·
Registered
901 Posts
Truth be told what I gathered since 2009 when it comes to a certain number of shops is that they claim they are the best in town but yet have no idea about time alignment.

Also there is one shop that the installer would do A Pillars for his friends but not for every customer even though the customer would pay for it.

Certain shops have a hard on for certain brands due to the nature they have to meet or exceed a certain dollar amount in sales to be a dealer for that brand the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing that gets me is the lead installer at this place does some very high end installs and also tunes but apparently no one else there knows anything about anything.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I hate to call out a shop in Orlando but the reality is that there is a shop just like that. The lead installer knows how to pillars and kick panels but since I am friend with the owner (not by choice and long story about this one).

The lead installer does custom fabrication on certain cars or when they need him to do that. The other installers are just your average guy that did one install in high school type and think they know how to install systems.

Truth be told not every shop will carry a brand you like or none of the shops will carry a brand of product you like in your local town.

Come to Orlando and I will prove to you that we have three shops that are Orca dealers since I can’t verify the fourth one. Plus they are no Arc Audio or Dynaudio dealers here.

Most of the end consumers in Orlando are running towards Incriminator Audio, Memphis, Power Bass, Digital Designs to name a few.

If I wanted to get Arc Audio I will have to ask Brian from Arc Audio if he knows any dealers that are close to Orlando and he would tell me who the owner is and I am golden.

Otherwise if I know if one of my friends is a dealer or distributor then I would ask them.

I learned growing up is that if you can’t find what you want/need then they are several other avenues to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I don’t know if I would walk into a shop asking for brands made in x unless I already have done the research on what they carry. Order online. I have about 5 or 6 local shops near me and would assume 2 could answer that question, both having higher end equipment and both shops known to do tuning. In house those shops would have brands mainly speakers made in other countries. The other 4 shops I would guess would say most of our stuff is either Chinese or Korean, and for the most part they are correct. We also make an assumption that a lot of shops do dsp and tuning. This is a niche forum with niche needs and product selection. I had a recent discussion with an installer after he made my son some speaker baffles. I am using cdt speakers and most of the shop had never heard of them. I was talking about this forum and the junkies forum, no person in the shop heard of either but they are young and admitted they don’t look at any forum, all social media. The installer said their bread and buttter is factory integration or a deck if the car allows, Speakers with passives not active, amps and subs. This shop does a lot of business, and doesn’t even keep a dsp in stock. They can get one but their customers are not asking for it. The two other shops I mentioned do dsps and tuning everyday but they are an audio frog and focal dealers respectively. Different clients and different needs

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Also have a question around non Chinese made components. If an amp is made in the states, is it not still a likelihood that parts inside the amp are from China? My assumption is very few electronics even if designed and built in the states would be American through and through. A circuit, a chip, a something more than likely would come from China. Is this about making sure American labor built the component?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Guys....I don't know what you expect. The reason why she was looking at you weird is the simple fact that anyone with the knowledge of time alignment and the brands that you mentioned have most likely never been inside and spoke to them.
Believe it or not but shops don't make money spending hours tuning your car. One guy. Sure.
The goal is to get the car in./ get the car out. That is only way yulou get paid consistently over 40 years.
High end installs for the average shop don't even include a thought about a dsp.

The people on this forum are the 1% of the 1%
I live in Atlanta and the music industry is everywhere mostly rap but country a little as well.
People that charge 5k an hour for studio time use jbl floor monitors for play back.....

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
IMHO every installer should be able to setup DSP,....it is part of the job, and they should gain this sort of knowlege. Every other car audio hobbyst know how to do it, almost every serious competitor,.....Shops that offer such service I belive gain on their popularity and customers

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also have a question around non Chinese made components. If an amp is made in the states, is it not still a likelihood that parts inside the amp are from China? My assumption is very few electronics even if designed and built in the states would be American through and through. A circuit, a chip, a something more than likely would come from China. Is this about making sure American labor built the component?
Sure some of the internal parts are made in China in most amps. We and the rest of the world made that happen but any shop should be able to answer a basic question about the products they sell. I've tried to go out of my way to support a couple local shops but they just make it impossible.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMHO every installer should be able to setup DSP,....it is part of the job, and they should gain this sort of knowlege. Every other car audio hobbyst know how to do it, almost every serious competitor,.....Shops that offer such service I belive gain on their popularity and customers
Totally agree. DSP's are not a new thing anymore. Most of their business nowadays are people that come in and just want a bigger (more powerful) amp and subs. Frustrating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don’t know if I would walk into a shop asking for brands made in x unless I already have done the research on what they carry. Order online. I have about 5 or 6 local shops near me and would assume 2 could answer that question, both having higher end equipment and both shops known to do tuning. In house those shops would have brands mainly speakers made in other countries. The other 4 shops I would guess would say most of our stuff is either Chinese or Korean, and for the most part they are correct. We also make an assumption that a lot of shops do dsp and tuning. This is a niche forum with niche needs and product selection. I had a recent discussion with an installer after he made my son some speaker baffles. I am using cdt speakers and most of the shop had never heard of them. I was talking about this forum and the junkies forum, no person in the shop heard of either but they are young and admitted they don’t look at any forum, all social media. The installer said their bread and buttter is factory integration or a deck if the car allows, Speakers with passives not active, amps and subs. This shop does a lot of business, and doesn’t even keep a dsp in stock. They can get one but their customers are not asking for it. The two other shops I mentioned do dsps and tuning everyday but they are an audio frog and focal dealers respectively. Different clients and different needs

my personal experience... most shops dont like customers beinging in their own gear that wasnt purchased from them. high end shops will turn you away

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Totally agree. DSP's are not a new thing anymore. Most of their business nowadays are people that come in and just want a bigger (more powerful) amp and subs. Frustrating.
you have to know your products inside/out if you want to separate yourself from others and be a pro, sadly, 99% settle into there job and never grow, thats the American way now, laziness and settling. that goes for any job, not just car audio which is sad. i see it everyday in my business as well, folks do just enough to get by and get there check

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would be shocked to see an amplifier that didn't have China build it or produce all the components which are assembled somewhere else. There are plenty of very good build shops in China. You don't spend decades taking all the manufacturing out of the west and not have a variety of skill sets from the cheapest to the most high quality. They have crappy build houses and good build houses. It all impacts that bottom line price.

I can tell you working in domestic battery production some years ago the only difference between the batteries was primarily the color of the casing and name that went on it. Other than that battery size played a roll and maybe lead paste quantity which would be reflected in the weight of the battery.

·
Registered
174 Posts
you have to know your products inside/out if you want to separate yourself from others and be a pro, sadly, 99% settle into there job and never grow, thats the American way now, laziness and settling. that goes for any job, not just car audio which is sad. i see it everyday in my business as well, folks do just enough to get by and get there check

In the IT business I see huge numbers of engineers beat down by administrative layers and paperwork that has nothing to do with engineering. They end up doing just enough because the hassle/******** just isn't worth it and often there is very little ability to move up or change fields within IT. We won't even get into the constant on-shoring of labor combined with zero incentive to do anything for an employee other than treat them like a robotic automaton.

Reactions: audiobaun

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Sure some of the internal parts are made in China in most amps. We and the rest of the world made that happen but any shop should be able to answer a basic question about the products they sell. I've tried to go out of my way to support a couple local shops but they just make it impossible.
Honestly I think you're expecting them to study a feature that to most consumers doesn't matter. They're not going to be familiar with a product they don't carry, and truthfully that's not something most consumers would ask about. If they don't carry any American made amps, they'd be right to assume none aren't made in China except for a few tiny companies that most shops have never heard of.

FWIW, Power Acoustik amps aren't made in China. They're made in South Korea.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some great electronics are made in China. I personally just don't want one. The frustration was mostly about the shop knowing nothing about their products. I did my research and know they do sell amps not made in China. That's the whole reason I went in there.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes we are asking the average shop to care about stuff they don’t sell. I have some shops in town I would bet good money have not installed one dsp this year. I know they don’t, don’t even have one in stock to do it. The other thing to think about is just because you sell it, doesn’t mean you can tune it. We have installers in this forum that do remote tunes because shops can’t do it or they are fixing bad tunes from people that said they could. This forum is the 1percent and we don’t represent what is actually being sold in most car audio shops. I had a conversation with a guy affiliated with a pretty good shop that has been there for years. He flat out told me the shop had to pivot away from a car audio focus. It no longer paid the bills. They do good work and have great product line, but people don’t come in for car audio installs like they used to. He said in the 90s/2000s Guys would come in with high end cars off the show room floor and say put the stereo in. Now people look at them and say why would I change that, it’s does everything I need and sounds good. They still get that time to time but not norm. This guy is super knowledgeable but his average customer is not asking for the level of install we are used to on the forums. Subs, amps, make it loud. A bunch of the car stereo shops by me cut opening hours and some not open on Saturdays now. The only reason you do that is you can’t justify the doors being opened and paying staff when the business isn’t coming in.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
why not install it by yourself!!! some aftermarket car stereos will come with plug and play and it's easy peasy
that is the goal, but a lot of newer cars are not plug and play. There are things that I will do if I have the tools to do it. Some of my older cars, I did installs or a lot of the work and let a shop finish things off. My Volvo, let a shop handle that

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
why not install it by yourself!!! some aftermarket car stereos will come with plug and play and it's easy peasy
Thats the point. You don't just pay these shops a premium pricefor their time or install.
You pay them to get in your brand new 100,000 dollar vehicle. Take panels off that are not designed to ever come off I might add.
In some cases cut and solder inside of. Think about the liability just a solder gun has inside of a vehicle.
If you burn or even scorch the carpet or God forbid touch a plastic panel.....
That can be a mistake that there is no fix for. Ever try finding a something like the bottom trim of a newer BMW dash? It's damn near impossible.
You pay them take all that liability. Then turn it into responsibility and complete an install that where if you were on the outside looking in the car it would look untouched.
All the while....you the customer are not responsible for the scratch on the door window button that his wife probably did with her big ass ring 5 seconds after she sat in the car and put her shoes all over the door sills that just got waxed.
That's what you pay for guys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts