DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two crescendo audio FT1 tweeters(80 watts rms 8 ohm each) both with cross overs running on a autotek amp I think its a 1000 watt MAXX 2 channel(1000.2 but I highly doubt it actually produces anywhere near 1000 watts), and I recently put my car in the shop for a tune up(oil change, ac check, etc.) and when i got it back it has been making a high pitch noise and occasionally an electric crackling noise.

The high pitch winding noise gets louder as accelerate my car but doesn't really affect sound quality, you can really only hear it when music is not playing or is paused.

The electrical crackling noise is on and off but when it does occur and I turn up my music it distorts the music pretty bad.

I've tried tightening down all my wires and spacing out the RCA and speaker wires from the power wires but nothing seems to fix it. I haven't yet checked the wires to the cross overs in the doors, but I highly doubt both would cause the same problem have appeared at the same time. Any suggestions or ideas on whats wrong/how to fix this problem?

This problem was nonexistent before I put my car in. I also just noticed my sub would cut off after long low notes(just started happening a couple hours ago/just noticed, but I'm not for sure that it is happening)

Other info:
car - 95 civic hatch back
6.5" infinity door speakers
2 FT1 super tweeters with cross overs
Autotek 1000.2(wired with 10 gauge)
Alpine 15" type r
Autotek RZR2300D(not to sure if thats the exact name) wired 4 gauge
Sony XPLODE head unit

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
classic ground loop.

if you pull the RCAs off the amplifier, does it stop?

·
Registered
24 Posts
What is your ground like. My 80prs was pretty particular about the ground. There is no exposed chassis/unibody metal near the stereo. I had to run about 18" away to get a good ground, but it solved 95% of the ground loop. The last 5% is due to the cage grounding against something, so next time I have the dash out. I'll work on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I pull the RCA's the noise does stop. I've tried grounding out one of the wires from the RCA cable but all it did is stop the whining. The crackling noise is still an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ground to my amp for the tweeters is on this bolt and nut located by the passenger door which I think is right by the CPU but I'm not to sure, it looks like a good ground but I guess it could be funky.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If that ground isn't good, the amp could be seeking a ground path through the RCA shield and causing some noise. That's an odd place to have your ground, lol...is your amp in the dash?

I've never heard "crackling" from a ground loop - most of the time it's from a loose/pinched speaker wire (check the back of the speaker as well) or RCA cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's kind of like an electric/crackling noise, I don't really know how to explain it, but when it happens and I try turning up my volume it causes some pretty bad distortion.

Update on the problem: Even after trying to ground the RCA cable(wiring one of the cables to the dash) the high pitched noise is back and the crackling noise is still there.

My amp is located underneath the dash on the passenger side.

As far as pinched wires or loose wires, I tightened all the wires going into the amp and the ground, the only thing i could think of is the RCA cable is kind of coiled underneath the floor carpet. Or in the doors I used a cap to connect the speaker wire to the cross overs and they might be loose but I don't know why both would become loose at the same time.

And I'm not sure if this is whats causing the problem or not but when I turned on my car(engine on) the both noises were being made but when I just turned the power on(engine off) no noise was made(crackling and high pitch noise was gone).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.