DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi DIYMA,

I am building my first system for my 2018 Toyota Corolla. I am not looking to compete, simply to enjoy. I am looking for SQ over SPL. What got me started was how loud this relatively new car is on the highway so I have deadened and will be adding foam and MLV soon. I just put in a new HU: Kenwood DDX9705S.

Next is the sub. I am looking at the Dayton UM10-22 Ultimax. This is a DVC 10" sub with 500w RMS. I have been told this would be a decent wattage range for my application. Plus if I want to add another I can change the wiring and be good to go. Correct? Please tell me if I am dumb or if you have another quality recommendation!

I am looking at the Taramps MD1800.1 for the amp.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hi DIYMA,

I am building my first system for my 2018 Toyota Corolla. I am not looking to compete, simply to enjoy. I am looking for SQ over SPL. What got me started was how loud this relatively new car is on the highway so I have deadened and will be adding foam and MLV soon. I just put in a new HU: Kenwood DDX9705S.

Next is the sub. I am looking at the Dayton UM10-22 Ultimax. This is a DVC 10" sub with 500w RMS. I have been told this would be a decent wattage range for my application. Plus if I want to add another I can change the wiring and be good to go. Correct? Please tell me if I am dumb or if you have another quality recommendation!

I am looking at the Taramps MD1800.1 for the amp.
You should check out Wolfram Audio amps, too. https://www.wolframaudio.com/
CSS Audio SDX's, Adire Audio Brahma's are some of the high Xmax small sealed box subs, there are others I can't think of right now.
Looking at your current selection, it looks like you're looking for good bang for the buck at around $500. Maybe we can get you hooked up for around that price.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I can get a sub and amp large and reliable enough to add another sub in the future (if needed) for 500 I will be a happy man. Am I right to go for a 10" in the 500w range for SQ?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
If I can get a sub and amp large and reliable enough to add another sub in the future (if needed) for 500 I will be a happy man. Am I right to go for a 10" in the 500w range for SQ?
Yes if you buy the dayton 10 D2 sub you can wire it at 4 ohms and be good to go with most amps. And then if you buy a second one and wire it to 4 ohms as well and then wire them both in parralel you will be at 2ohms and also be good to go with "most" amps. Just pick an amp that can run 2 ohms mono at the total RMS the two subs can handle. i think thats around 1000 watts.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'd go for a 12", but that's just my inner basshead talking;) Any good sub in any size can do sq really well, it's just gotta be a GOOD sub. Dayton has a pretty good reputation, so..... The real question is will YOU be happy with one 10", then another later?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My biggest problem is I have no idea! I have never even heard a decent car audio system so I am kinda shooting blind lol. I just knew I didn't want to let the local shops sell me whatever.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My biggest problem is I have no idea! I have never even heard a decent car audio system so I am kinda shooting blind lol. I just knew I didn't want to let the local shops sell me whatever.
Give us a minimum-maximum budget to shoot for so we can get more specific for you. Also, let us know if we should include rca's, power wire, connectors, etc. in our suggestions.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
A single 10" can be plenty if you're after SQ over SPL like you say. You only need to fill in the lows and such a sub with good excursion capabilities as well as lending itself to various box sizes and relative general response will be on par for a small sedan such as the Corolla.

As a comparison, my daughter has a 2000 Camry with a single sealed Peerless XXLS 10" that plays very well for a daily driver. I built the box with a baffle big enough to separate the trunk from the cabin albeit the actual enclosure is only .5 cubic foot. Implementation matters. My truck only has a single 10" and I'm happy with as well.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Give us a minimum-maximum budget to shoot for so we can get more specific for you. Also, let us know if we should include rca's, power wire, connectors, etc. in our suggestions.
I have nothing other than my sound proofing materials and my HU as of now. Let's try to get the job done for 700-800 Sub, amp, enclosure, wires. Is that a doable figure?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have nothing other than my sound proofing materials and my HU as of now. Let's try to get the job done for 700-800 Sub, amp, enclosure, wires. Is that a doable figure?
Most likely. Can you build a box, or would you rather buy one? Building a box can save some coin that could be better applied to a sub or amp.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Just an example, I realize you asked for a 10". And that amp won't ship til August.
https://www.css-audio.com/online-store/CSS-SDX12-12-XBL^2-Subwoofer-p110031759
https://www.wolframaudio.com/collections/w-series-monoblock-amplifiers/products/w-1500-1
https://www.amazon.com/Q-Power-Sealed-Subwoofer-Enclosure-QBOMB12S/dp/B00NG38WZ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?qid=1560050097&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:1293705011,p_n_feature_browse-bin:1293709011&rnid=1293708011&s=car&sr=1-13
That combo leaves about $80 for wires/cables.
An Adire Audio Brahma 10" for $389, plus your Taramps md1800.1, plus about $60 for a prefab box leaves about $150 on the table (out of $800). I'm not counting shipping costs, either. I would definitely spend more on a great sub, then upgrade the amp and box when you can.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
A custom box could probably be built for $60 in materials, thus saving shipping costs, with help from a friend with tools.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
A user name of "quartersawn" seems to indicate to me that the OP may be capable on their own...
:laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A user name of "quartersawn" seems to indicate to me that the OP may be capable on their own...
Very observant! I used to build guitars and low level hobbyist stuff. I currently have very few tools unfortunately but building a box is not out of the question. Worst case, I have a cabinet maker buddy that can probably cut all my pieces and I can glue them up.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Honestly I would get a 12" instead of a 10" if you're only going for one sub for now. It's better to have to cut the output than it is to have to push something beyond its limits. When it comes to having plenty of clean bass down low cone area and/or linear travel is your friend. And check out the Stereo Integrity RM12. That sub is a straight up badass that digs DEEP.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have experience with 10" and 12" subs. You can definitely get great SQ with a 10" subwoofer. The biggest difference between the two will come down to how large a box you can or want to fit. Obviously a 12 is going to need a larger box and it is better to have an ideal sized box for a 10" subwoofer than it would be to have a smallish box for a 12" subwoofer. I have an Alpine SWS 10 in my van and it is a very good budget sub in a ported 1 cube box tuned to 35 Hz and it gets plenty loud for the family. The Dayton Audio line of subwoofers are also a proven line you can trust will sound good if you build the box right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an example, I realize you asked for a 10". And that amp won't ship til August.
https://www.css-audio.com/online-store/CSS-SDX12-12-XBL^2-Subwoofer-p110031759
https://www.wolframaudio.com/collections/w-series-monoblock-amplifiers/products/w-1500-1
https://www.amazon.com/Q-Power-Sealed-Subwoofer-Enclosure-QBOMB12S/dp/B00NG38WZ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?qid=1560050097&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:1293705011,p_n_feature_browse-bin:1293709011&rnid=1293708011&s=car&sr=1-13
That combo leaves about $80 for wires/cables.
An Adire Audio Brahma 10" for $389, plus your Taramps md1800.1, plus about $60 for a prefab box leaves about $150 on the table (out of $800). I'm not counting shipping costs, either. I would definitely spend more on a great sub, then upgrade the amp and box when you can.
I appreciate the examples. The subs you showed are about 2 to 3 times the price of the original one I was looking at. Not knocking your suggestion, but is a noob like me, at lower, commuter levels going to notice a difference worth double the price? Or would I be better off grabbing two of the Daytons for surface area?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts