DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im having a really hard time finding replacement carpet for the Subaru and im wondering how hard it is too mold your own.

Has anyone tried this? Is it difficult? If not, im thinking of adding foam padding to the bottom isolate from the vibrations and sound.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I removed stock carpet and used a CCF/MLV layer as floor then used SDS Cargo mat material on top of that which more CCF/MLV with a cosmetic pebble finish layer. Here are some pics of when I was putting it in.

Caveats for using the SDS Cargo Mat Material are that it is expensive and not the easiest to work with (thick and heavy). You have to plan out the cuts and folds very carefully to not waste material.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Holy cow that looks great!

Exactly what I want my interior to look like...it's essentially a giant WeatherTech mat.

Two questions -

1. How many of the mats did you have to buy to cover your floor?

2. I've got tan leather seats and tan/beige/light brown trim. In your opinion, how do you think the black floor would go with that trim?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Holy cow that looks great!

Exactly what I want my interior to look like...it's essentially a giant WeatherTech mat.

Two questions -

1. How many of the mats did you have to buy to cover your floor?

2. I've got tan leather seats and tan/beige/light brown trim. In your opinion, how do you think the black floor would go with that trim?
1. I ordered 2 mats. I have 2016 Honda Civic Sedan. 1st mat provided enough coverage for the interior from the front (bottom of firewall) to the back (bottom of back bench). 2nd mat will be used for the trunk.

2. Tough call more of what your personal tastes are. Personally I went with a function over cosmetics vibe with the civic build.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
So are their acoustic advantages of the SDS cargo mat other then external noise reduction due to density??
Not to my knowledge. It is literally the same thing as Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro but with an extra thin (but durable) cosmetic layer on top of the MLV.

·
Registered
64 Posts
1. I ordered 2 mats. I have 2016 Honda Civic Sedan. 1st mat provided enough coverage for the interior from the front (bottom of firewall) to the back (bottom of back bench). 2nd mat will be used for the trunk.

2. Tough call more of what your personal tastes are. Personally I went with a function over cosmetics vibe with the civic build.
I hear ya. I was more curious if you had done something like that yourself, and what your result was like.

I've noticed that a lot of new cars use more contrast in this way - black carpet and different colors for the rest of the interior, so I'm confident it will look good.

And regardless of what it looks like, I agree completely with you on the function over form argument. As I was looking for mass backed carpeting, I found an article on Jalopnik that stopped me in my tracks: "...consider this: the very existence of floor mats is a condemnation of the failure of the car’s carpet to do its job. If the carpet needs another bit of removable carpet over it to protect it, something is deeply, profoundly wrong."

https://jalopnik.com/carpet-in-cars-is-gross-and-stupid-so-lets-not-use-it-a-1783975814

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I removed stock carpet and used a CCF/MLV layer as floor then used SDS Cargo mat material on top of that which more CCF/MLV with a cosmetic pebble finish layer. Here are some pics of when I was putting it in.

Caveats for using the SDS Cargo Mat Material are that it is expensive and not the easiest to work with (thick and heavy). You have to plan out the cuts and folds very carefully to waste material.
Dang that looks nice!!

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
The most comparable product to the SDS Cargo mat is DynaMat’s DynaDeck product. If you you google image DynaMat DynaDeck you can see more examples of what can be achieved with the material.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts