DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than price, is there any reason not to use Hydrophobic Melamine Foam as a decoupler for MLV?

CCF offers zero sound absorption, but the HMF does, so why not use this instead? It's waterproof and it will offer some sound absorption.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Anything you put between two constraining layers will not act as an acoustic absorber, so there will be no acoustic benefit. Even if it was exposed to the sound in the environment it would only be effective at absorbing frequencies of maybe 8kHz and greater, which won't make any real difference on the floor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Lets take where absorption foam is placed in car. Inside the rear quarter panels, inside doors, above the roof liner. All of these applications have interior panels on top of them, so in all cases, the foam is between two constraining layers.

A home with sheet rock on both sides and mineral rock insulation in-between, two constraining layers on both sides.... The insulation does absorb sound.

I am not saying you are wrong, but it doesn't seem logical to me. Do you have some kind of data/tests to back up your statement?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Interesting. I would think that the melamine would be able to decouple and provide some extra sound absorption. Although the issue is that it could be too thick to put door panels and other areas along with the MLV. Melamine is compressible but it takes a fair amount of pressure to squeeze it down flat and at the more it is compressed the more it looses its sound absorption capabilities.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Other than price, is there any reason not to use Hydrophobic Melamine Foam as a decoupler for MLV?

CCF offers zero sound absorption, but the HMF does, so why not use this instead? It's waterproof and it will offer some sound absorption.
Any foam can work between 2 hard surfaces, the only reason ccf is used is because it can resist moisture, water, chemicals and it will last longer.

Any foam Being in between 2 hard surfaces, ( metal and MLV ) there is no acoustic benefit for the foam since the MLV will block noise coming from the outside or the inside when the music waves reflect on the door panel.

If used just as an insulator say, an extra layer over the MLV between the door panel it may help a bit a acoustically.

The magic eraser foam is very dense, it does absorb sound in the upper range, however I am not sure it will be better in than standard open cell foam.

CCF only deflects sound, it does not block it, or affect it in any frequency range from what I understand

·
Registered
667 Posts
Any foam Being in between 2 hard surfaces, ( metal and MLV ) there is no acoustic benefit for the foam since the MLV will block noise coming from the outside or the inside when the music waves reflect on the door panel.
This doesn't seem correct. We are not talking about just any foam, but melamine which is known good sound absorber. If you were able to put a 1.5" or even .75" melamine between the door skin and mlv it should work as a decoupler and reduce some sound from outside of the vehicle from getting to the mlv. How effective is unknown. SDS sells Hydrophobic Melamine Foam (HMF) which has also been treated to repel water. I use it in my car along with a full treatment of MLV. I am not using the HMF in place of ccf but to fill areas in panels, pillars and headliner. The issue again is it's thickness. It would difficult to use in doors it is hard enough getting the MLV in there with a thin layer of ccf.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
This doesn't seem correct. We are not talking about just any foam, but melamine which is known good sound absorber. If you were able to put a 1.5" or even .75" melamine between the door skin and mlv it should work as a decoupler and reduce some sound from outside of the vehicle from getting to the mlv. How effective is unknown. SDS sells Hydrophobic Melamine Foam (HMF) which has also been treated to repel water. I use it in my car along with a full treatment of MLV. I am not using the HMF in place of ccf but to fill areas in panels, pillars and headliner. The issue again is it's thickness. It would difficult to use in doors it is hard enough getting the MLV in there with a thin layer of ccf.

You replied to just part of my post, perhaps you should have read the whole thing. :mean:

The op did not specify to place it between the door card and the MLV, like I mentioned it on my first post.

I stand for what I said, if decoupling is the purpose using MLV, any foam with decent density will do, and again, with foam between 2 hard surfaces ( not the door card and the MLV) , there is no acoustic benefit, other than decoupling to keep road noise outside.

·
Registered
18,239 Posts
Melamine Foam is lightweight and will work better on upside down areas like the roof panels or vertical panels.

CCF will work on the floor pans better because it's very dense and heavy. More difficult when installing on roofs due to weight.
Ccf is dense and heavy? Have you ever even used melamine or ccf?

OP, I would use ccf as the decoupler because its thinner, yet still effective. If you use a thicker foam, chances are you wont be able to get your door panel back on. I would use melamine to fill left over gaps

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Ccf is dense and heavy? Have you ever even used melamine or ccf?

OP, I would use ccf as the decoupler because its thinner, yet still effective. If you use a thicker foam, chances are you wont be able to get your door panel back on. I would use melamine to fill left over gaps

Luxury liner Pro weighs a freaking ton. And its not just the vinyl that contributes to the weight. But the foam is pretty thick.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
No, I assure you it's not the foam.

"Applications for this melamine foam include ceilings, doors, trunk lids, and any upside down surface that our mass loaded vinyl Luxury Liner Pro is too heavy to be applied"

"Melamine foam is an extremely lightweight and flexible"

I guess you know better than the people that manufacture the stuff.

·
Registered
18,239 Posts
"Applications for this melamine foam include ceilings, doors, trunk lids, and any upside down surface that our mass loaded vinyl Luxury Liner Pro is too heavy to be applied"

"Melamine foam is an extremely lightweight and flexible"

I guess you know better than the people that manufacture the stuff.
Luxury liner is ccf AND mlv....... Foam weights next to nothing. Mlv on the other hand is heavy as holy hell. You need to stop speaking on topics you have no experience with.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Melamine is extremely light but so is ccf especially compared to mlv. I weighed all of the material before I installed it in my car and then subtracted the scraps and what I had left over because I wanted to know how much extra weight was in the car. It came to about 115 lbs. I think about 16 lbs of it was ccf the rest was mlv.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Luxury liner is ccf AND mlv....... Foam weights next to nothing. Mlv on the other hand is heavy as holy hell. You need to stop speaking on topics you have no experience with.

CCF is about 14 times heavier than Melamine foam. But hey, what do I know.

·
Registered
18,239 Posts
CCF is about 14 times heavier than Melamine foam. But hey, what do I know.
What type of ccf? There are loads of different ccf's. Either way, the comparison is irrelevant. Second skin is saying you would use melamine in spots where you cant use luxury liner because the MLV on the luxury liner is much heavier and much harder to work with.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
The magic eraser is stiff and it tears, even if found in 1/8" thickness it will break or tear if compressed too much. I may be wrong, some higher quality ones may not have those issues and may cost way more.

I would still use quality open cell foam to fill gaps between the card and the inner door, it may simplify things, like self adhesive different thicknesses and cost.

·
Registered
18,239 Posts
The magic eraser is stiff and it tears, even if found in 1/8" thickness it will break or tear if compressed too much. I may be wrong, some higher quality ones may not have those issues and may cost way more.

I would still use quality open cell foam to fill gaps between the card and the inner door, it may simplify things, like self adhesive different thicknesses and cost.
id be weary about putting open cell foam in a door.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts