DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I've been doing a lot of research on how to get CD quality or better music in the car using an iPhone as the source feeding the HU. Not Hi-Fi. That's a different topic to me. Just CD quality +

--apparently, the dongle for the iPhone 8, etc. has a DAC and amplifier in it. That dongle also apparently is capable of hi res music playback, but the iPhone internals prevent the iPhone from playing 24 bit. But, when I connect the phone using the Apple dongle to 3.5mm jack and into the Aux port on my Pioneer HU, the sound quality isn't any different and it even is more distorted than playing via bluetooth.

So, I believe I need to use the camera adapter, since it has no DAC and no amp, thus just the original digital signal coming out, and then feed that to the HU Aux. input. Another way is to use the camera adapter and/or an external DAC.

Anyone have any input/specialty knowledge/can help?

Ty,
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey man, i use tidal Hifi off my iPhone with apple car play, the difference between that and Spotify is night and day. The bit rate is a lot higher and tracks aren’t compressed and that’s where you lose quality

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello:

I've been doing a lot of research on how to get CD quality or better music in the car using an iPhone as the source feeding the HU. Not Hi-Fi. That's a different topic to me. Just CD quality +

--apparently, the dongle for the iPhone 8, etc. has a DAC and amplifier in it. That dongle also apparently is capable of hi res music playback, but the iPhone internals prevent the iPhone from playing 24 bit. But, when I connect the phone using the Apple dongle to 3.5mm jack and into the Aux port on my Pioneer HU, the sound quality isn't any different and it even is more distorted than playing via bluetooth.

So, I believe I need to use the camera adapter, since it has no DAC and no amp, thus just the original digital signal coming out, and then feed that to the HU Aux. input. Another way is to use the camera adapter and/or an external DAC.

Anyone have any input/specialty knowledge/can help?

Ty,
Rob
Amazon Music HD played through Apple Carplay has stellar sound quality with most of the files I've played being FLAC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Amazon Music HD played through Apple Carplay has stellar sound quality with most of the files I've played being FLAC.
Aside from Amazon, is there another app you've tried that's doing great with apple carplay too that you can suggest? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
OPs question is less about streaming services, and more about connecting the source to the stereo. But you guys may be right that the source material is the problem.

The iphone adapters actually have perfectly good DACs, I find it highly unlikely that the adapter is the problem. Having said that, if you can connect digitally you can remove 1 unnecessary conversion. Does that Pioneer head unit not have a USB input?

Unlike what DubDerby said, the difference between Tidal and Spotify is NOT night and day. Tidal is better on paper, and under some circumstances you may hear a small difference, but the differences are very small, and won't be noticeable 99% of the time.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Didnt I recently see a member use an iPhone camera kit to get direct connection and sound quality to their dsp.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Didnt I recently see a member use an iPhone camera kit to get direct connection and sound quality to their dsp.
Yeah, this is a fairly common solution, I think the big complaint is intermittent issues with charging the phone while using the camera kit.

·
Registered
2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 M/T
236 Posts
I have several postings on this topic, Using a camera adapter is by passing the internal DAC of the iPhone. The question is how do you convert the USB to digital Coax or Toslink and what DSP/DAC are you running. I have a ARC PS8 that has both TOS and COAX. You need another unit to convert the USB (DIGITAL) to COAX or Toslink. I am using a L.K.S audio unit to do it that corrects and updates the signal while keeping it still in the digital domain.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Camera kit can be glitchy with charging. Use a powered USB hub with a PD port that can charge iPads or phones from someone like Anker. Mine works with a Douk Audio U2 (been a broken record recommending this lately) for both iPhone and Android. I've tested from 6s up to 11 and Galaxy S9+ up to S20 and they all work with Tidal and Spotify but I've yet to get anything to do direct digital transfer from Amazon HD. The U2 even converts my DSD512 files to PCM 24/96 on the fly for connection to my Helix.

Edit: Amazon HD works if you use UAPP to set the output of the U2 at 24/96 before starting the Amazon app. I've done a chat with Amazon and they're working on getting the app to better support having an outboard sound device.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
There are multiple products out there to get the digital USB out of a phone, some have options for charging others don't, the main idea is to get it digitally vs an aux plug or blue tooth

·
Registered
4 Posts
OPs question is less about streaming services, and more about connecting the source to the stereo. But you guys may be right that the source material is the problem.

The iphone adapters actually have perfectly good DACs, I find it highly unlikely that the adapter is the problem. Having said that, if you can connect digitally you can remove 1 unnecessary conversion. Does that Pioneer head unit not have a USB input?

Unlike what DubDerby said, the difference between Tidal and Spotify is NOT night and day. Tidal is better on paper, and under some circumstances you may hear a small difference, but the differences are very small, and won't be noticeable 99% of the time.

It is night and day, I run a well built sq system and the difference is massive, tidal hifi listening to master studio tracks is worlds away from listening to Spotify, for an audiophile

·
Registered
236 Posts
The tread is not discussing streaming services, SQ is subjective based on a users ears, equipment installed, installation and the level of the tune. The question is more about what is the best way to hook the phone up to transmit the digital signal to the DSP. I think the weakest point is from the USB connection to the converter that goes to COAX or TOSLINK. The converter is digital to digital not analog so its a bit different than what most of us see in any hi fi setup. Question comes up are you going to settle with a 25 to 50 dollar unit that comes from China or invest in a little bit better converter that addresses correction and clocking and jitter issues.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've not had any issues with either of the following:
Douk Audio U2
Topping D10S

And a Topping D30.

Of these, the U2 or D10 are easiest to integrate since they're USB powered and turn on and off with the powered hub interfacing it to my phone. You have to limit the output to 96khz though as it's not actually communicating with the dsp and will send at 192khz by default. UAPP is the easiest way I've found to accommodate these peripherals as none of the streaming services have any means of controlling what the output is going to be from the USB device.

Currently testing a Topping BC3 to see if it will maintain a 990kbps BT5 connection consistently.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya but are you connected or wireless? because the blue tooth limits data transfer right. so That's a problem. So, I need the adapter that lets me charge and play simultaneously, or the camera adapter and maybe wireless charging. ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hi. Thanks for helping man.
Yes. It does. It's an inexpensive MVHS622BS. What I'm using for now. But it has USB input on front as well as standard 3.5mm jack input.
--It seemed like that maybe because I used the lightening to 3.5mm that the DAC and amplifier in the dongle was thus passing converter and amplified (although very low) signal to to 3.5mm input and somehow in the chain a bunch load of distortion showed up.
--I tested it yesterday, and it's working fine. Used Amazon HD to test, and Amazon played in HD quality.
--But yet Amazon HD also says that it is playing HD (16/44) while connected via blue tooth, so IDK

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have several postings on this topic, Using a camera adapter is by passing the internal DAC of the iPhone. The question is how do you convert the USB to digital Coax or Toslink and what DSP/DAC are you running. I have a ARC PS8 that has both TOS and COAX. You need another unit to convert the USB (DIGITAL) to COAX or Toslink. I am using a L.K.S audio unit to do it that corrects and updates the signal while keeping it still in the digital domain.
Yes. That's what I found. Studies have figured out that (a) using the camera adapter causes the iPhone output to bypass the internal DAC, and (b) since the camera adapter has no DAC, the signal comes out unchanged. However, then you need an external DAC, which is fine by me, so long as the setup will actually work.
--Also, the research studies I saw indicated that the lightening to 3.5mm adapter has the DAC and amp in it, and I've seen a study that did Xrays, etc., but even still it is capable of paying at least 16/44.

The iPhone 8+ internal DAC is capable of playing hi res, but it is limited to a max of 24/48. But that's not my goal anyway. If I can at least get 16/44, than that would be good.
I don't want to buy a DAP. Streaming seems like the best option due to the size of 16/44 + files.
---So it's (a) what streaming service to use, (b) how to play the CD quality or higher, (c) how to get the CD quality from my iPhone 8+ to the HU?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Camera kit can be glitchy with charging. Use a powered USB hub with a PD port that can charge iPads or phones from someone like Anker. Mine works with a Douk Audio U2 (been a broken record recommending this lately) for both iPhone and Android. I've tested from 6s up to 11 and Galaxy S9+ up to S20 and they all work with Tidal and Spotify but I've yet to get anything to do direct digital transfer from Amazon HD. The U2 even converts my DSD512 files to PCM 24/96 on the fly for connection to my Helix.

Edit: Amazon HD works if you use UAPP to set the output of the U2 at 24/96 before starting the Amazon app. I've done a chat with Amazon and they're working on getting the app to better support having an outboard sound device.

Thanks man. looking into this. seems like a viable option

·
Registered
236 Posts
Read up on the L.K.S. unit, I think it is the best SQ option for getting the signal to your DSP/DAC. Its a bit more expensive at $200 but it uses a 5 volt power that can be hooked via USB in a 12v to 5v converter. You can run it with your remote turn on leads to control the on off switch which has a toggle on the back of the unit

·
Registered
189 Posts
Read up on the L.K.S. unit, I think it is the best SQ option for getting the signal to your DSP/DAC. Its a bit more expensive at $200 but it uses a 5 volt power that can be hooked via USB in a 12v to 5v converter. You can run it with your remote turn on leads to control the on off switch which has a toggle on the back of the unit
No optical output: "L.K.S Audio USB-100 USB Audio Interface PCM384/DSD512 I2S RJ45 HDMI C" L.K.S Audio LKS USB-100 USB Audio Interface PCM384/DSD512 I2S RJ45 HDMI Coaxial out DSD512 with Crystek

1 - 20 of 46 Posts