DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,

For any familiar with the Alpine CDA-117, what's the highest SQ format one can use with the USB?

I've looked a bit and haven't found much. From experimenting, I know it' will not play WAV or WMA lossless. I have noted it plays .mp3 (lame) 320 kbps.

Any opinions or am I back to CDs for lossless? Of note, I have DB PowerAmp for conversions as necessary.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
think you will find that most HUs have 320kbps as the highest rate they will support. (I am sure there are exceptions) for me personally, while driving in a noisey car. 320 VBR sounds just as good as cd.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Chances are you won't notice a difference because of the delivery method.. It's all down to the recording when you're talking about CD/USB interface.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just talked to Alpine tech suppport and they confirmed that 320 kbps MP3 and 96 kbps WMA is the highest the CDA-117 will play via the USB.

Which is better seems a topic of much online debate. I'm going with the WMA 96 kbps for now.

The tech did say that I could get higher quality using an IPOD. Since I'm already converting the music (I rip my home collection to WMA lossless via DB PowerAmp.) to WMA 96 kbps, perhaps I just need to break down and buy an IPOD to replace my ancient 2.5 GB USB drive... :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
just apple lossless direct from the ipod.
It won't play that.

If you are gonna convert anyway, why not convert to 320vbr?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
320kbit CBR/VBR lame codecs are good enough to be indistinguishable from wav/lossless in a car. I hear differences below 192kbit CBR if I listen to good recorded tracks.

Here's a site where they measured a audio clip and compared them against eachother

Lossy vs lossless

Edit: Check out 128kbit, almost no information above 15kHz

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I play songs (recorded from I-Tunes) in lossless through my I-Phone 3Gs via the USB, as well as by streaming, with no problem.
I think that by using the USB, the DAC's from the I-Phone are bypassed and I can't tell a difference between a CD, lossless through USB or streaming.
I did listen to music way too loud in my youth so take that with a grain of salt.
Gary

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the good advice. I think I'll move over, for mobile applications at least (car, mp3/wma player [non-IPODs that I already own], to 320CBR MP3. I did some ABX testing with Foobar and it's really tough to tell any differences. The folks over at Hydrogenaudio Forums - Portal have given me some more things to check out...

320kbit CBR/VBR lame codecs are good enough to be indistinguishable from wav/lossless in a car. I hear differences below 192kbit CBR if I listen to good recorded tracks.

Here's a site where they measured a audio clip and compared them against eachother

Lossy vs lossless

Edit: Check out 128kbit, almost no information above 15kHz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts