DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly starting to get my system installed, so far I have the mids in (peerless hsd) and the source unit (cda-9887). I was messing with the crossover and noticed the "level adjustment". What exactly does this control? The level of the total output frequency range (say 100-2500Hz) or something else? If this does what I think, it's sort of like an L-Pad for a tweeter, lowering it's output across it's output range, say from 2500-20000Hz....

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Yes, the level controls the level of everything connected to that output. In other words, if the mids are connected to an amp through the mid RCA outs on the deck, it controls the level of that output. It's a lot more convenient that having to go back and adjust the amps gain.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Here is the brain buster though....

When you are using the 9887 to run a two way active front stage what does the level do on the mids? You have a section for the mids low and mids high. So how the hell does that work?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 89, this unit is much nicer than others I've used.

The front RCA's control the mids, the rear RCA's control the highs.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
If you are using a 2way plus sub, you'll have the low/mid/high RCA outs on the deck.

When you are in the menu for mid you can adjust the level of the mid, when in low, you can control the level of the sub, when in high, you control the level of the tweeter.

You are just turning down the pre amp voltage level to whatever output you are working on, which in turn makes the amps output lower.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

I think my Pioneer 880 was the same way, rear was high, front was mid and of course there was a sub out too.

Basically, if you were using either of these deck for front and rear coaxials and a sub, the "level adjustment" would control either the front speakers, rear speakers or the sub. When in 3 way mode it now controls the tweeters, the mids and the subs.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

When you are using the 9887 to run a two way active front stage what does the level do on the mids? You have a section for the mids low and mids high. So how the hell does that work?
They're both the same. If you're in Mid-H and lower the level to say -2, when you click over to Mid-L the level will be at -2 there as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts

not really a brain buster - im assuming you have already set the switch on the bottom of the headunit to three way - and then in the audio options you have set filter type to L/R hence now the crossover will read low -- mid low -- mid high -- high ........ and if you want the mid high to ever go below 1000hz set the tweeter filter from "maker" to "user"

low is obviously to control the subwoofer - this is restricted from 200hz and down to the lower limit (havent yet checked what that is cos ive just set mine to 50hz - then the mid low bit is a lowpass for the midrange and the midhigh bit is a high pass for the midrange - so this is easy cos you have lowpassed the sub at say 50hz then you can highpass the mid at 50hz also and then you lowpass the mid at say 2000hz - this effectively bandpasses the mid between 50hz and 2000hz and levels here will auto adjust between the both - adjust one and the other automatically changes to that level - then all thats left to do is to highpass the tweeters at (again as an example my settings) 2000hz and upward

obviously everyone will have driver dependent settings between the mid and tweeter - mine is low cos the passives on mine actually highpass the tweeter at around 2200hz at 12db/oct - so whilst running active im using 2000hz at 24db/oct which allows a steeper rollof - other drivers may need those to be closer to 4000hz - so that depends entirely on your speakers

BTW im sure you know most of this and your question was merely what the effect on the second setting would be if you adjusted the first - but as the poster above me and myself have pointed out that they would then auto adjust to the same levels for both limits of the bandpass - the rest of the info ive included as a kind of checklist for the guys who dont really know the headunit too well so i hope it doesnt come accross as condescending

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
They're both the same. If you're in Mid-H and lower the level to say -2, when you click over to Mid-L the level will be at -2 there as well.
Ahhh, you've answered my question. I didn't notice that the high changed to match the low and vice versa on the mid settings. That was why I was tripping out before. I was wondering what the headunit would be doing to the sound if you were allowed to lower them individually.

·
Registered
8 Posts

In CDA-9887 manual it's mentioned

4.2ch (F/R/Sub-W) System / L=R
setting items:
LOW (SUB-W) / MID (REAR) / HIGH (FRONT)
why did you reverse them?

·
Registered
606 Posts
why did you reverse them?
In 3-way mode the connections are as stated by Rob K. It has confused many people over the years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In 3-way mode the connections are as stated by Rob K. It has confused many people over the years.
I'm running 2-way , that's why I didn't see a difference.

Did any one try both 2 and 3 way and made a comparison?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts