1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Good info, thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think as the recording industry started playing the "loudness wars" all CD quality really took a dump. dynamic range suffered as a result, making sq of Cd format less appealing.
I think the music industry has a future with CD format... they should spend some money and find ways to make buying the cd worth the effort. It should cater to those would really want a high quality sound, get out of the loudness wars and give the CD format the dynamic range it needs to get it back to "live" quality.
cater to the market of the audiofile... after all, if someone is going to pay thousands of $ on equipment, those people wouldn't mind paying for a cd if they dynamic range was improved.also, the way pink floyd has packaged there work as of late is not a bad direction either

just my 2 cents:D

cheers

randy

·
Registered
783 Posts
Try Mapleshade recordings!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mind a little dynamic range compression if used responsibly. We crudely do it in our cars with these SQ tracks anyways. Next time your music isn't loud enough and you turn up the volume, try to see if your midbass is actually increasing in volume proportionally with the midrange. Go back and compare with just the midbass playing on the same track and same volume settings. If it isn't then you are doing the same thing that is done in the studios but by either the driver's power compression or by clipping the midbass amp, which is a clipping level that is inaudible by as much as up to 6dB (ie 4x rated power).

For me the real issue is too much compression, ie 6db crest factors. Or more importantly, just blatant severe digital clipping of the peaks. That's the true modern loudness wars IMO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I completely agree with the writer. So many people could save SO much by reading this article. It is disgraceful how many myths are sold to audiophiles, many of which are widely believed even on this forum.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I think it's a bit facetious to suggest that folks playing cd's are somehow behind the times. For me it's not about cd's sound better than lossless. I love my hu, but it hates any sort of interface. I'm ok with that.

Yes there's a lot of crappy recordings, but there's a ton of good stuff as well. It really boils down to how picky the artist is about his recording. Crappy is crappy it's not going to sound better in lossless. Telarc and Mapleshade are good sources for recordings as mentioned.

I am fussy about the balance between the mid range and mid bass. If 300hz ~ 4khz is overcooked at any point, you are going to lose a ton of midbass impact.

It is disgraceful how many myths are sold to audiophiles, many of which are widely believed even on this forum.
That's a fairly strong statement. By myths you mean stuff like.....

1. Expensive amps have a better sonic signature and hence better sq.
2. I'm a purist so I don't use dsp.
3. Old school / high dollar hu's with 0 dsp, give tons of SQ.

Or were you thinking of something else? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't tell if he is only referring to playing CD's that you've purchased, or burned. I burn FLAC to CD's and personally I can tell a major difference between that and playing FLAC files off my ipod through my deck.

*shrugs*

edit: I don't intend to start a debate that's just my personal experience.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think a lot of SQ depends on the quality of your system, not just the recording.
when I installed my system after sitting 15+ years in a box (couldn't have done it without the internet) I could not believe what I was missing. Instead of musical instruments playing together, all of a sudden I could hear each instrument playing independently of each other.
When I listen to my music I listen for things that I never hear before and a lot of times those "hidden" little tones show up that was lacking with poor SQ equipment and or recordings.
The downside of a good quality systems is you can tell a big difference between a good recording an a not so good one.
I kind of look at it this way... it is like when I drive the same road every day I try to make it more exciting by looking at things I never seen before (details) and the same goes with music. Maybe I am a fuss pot but paying maga bucks for a system and putting in song with sh*t recording quality (mostly lack of dynamic range like what goes on today)doesn't make sense.
I usually tell when a recording has been made lately or back when CD's where in their prime.... I have to turn the older recording up to 3/4 and the newer one at 1/4 volume. lots of times the older recording with better dynamic range makes me jump if a passage really hits hard... not so much anymore unless you are into classical and some jazz recordings.

bla bla bla :laugh:

cheers

randy

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I still love CDs, but CDs will die when car companies start including USB and SD slots in the head unit instead of a CD players...IMO

I dont know if its just me getting older, but it seems like music itself is dying.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Sure I'd like everything on flash drives/etc, I never got why they brought the 'record' back with CDs why not go magnetic disk like the PC or at least put it in a casing so it can't get damaged. I hate CDs but my HU is not liking anything else and I don't have the time to rip everything I have, not now anyway.

Unfortunately many standards are formed due to politics of business, just look at bluray. I hate proprietary companies as well. If you are old enough you might remember you could have had a DVD burner in your PC 5 years sooner, back when that was a large storage format, but someone stopped it and told you to suck a nut. Only took a pack of lawyers to do it. By the time it came out harddrives were larger.

On top of all that the music industry is run by a pack of morons. Even the movie industry is happy to sell old movies for $5 at walmart, you know movies that cost $100M to make not 5 dudes playing music. Oh yeah, they have video on them too and sound....duh.

Another issue is this service thing, every company wants a revenue stream they don't want to sell something. I buy a CD I own it, I can copy it and it must piss them off. I don't have to pay every month. I hate anything I have to pay monthly for utilities are bad enough. I can see it for phone service/etc, but not much else. What will they do, stop playing music on the radio for free? LOL, they are stupid enough to do it. Games and movies and other internet are a much better deal than music, no wonder they are dying in comparison. I think at some point the internet will put the hurt to them in a big way.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am fussy about the balance between the mid range and mid bass. If 300hz ~ 4khz is overcooked at any point, you are going to lose a ton of midbass impact.
What do you mean here? Please clarify.

300-4khz is where a lot of impact is.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sooner or later all car system will equipped with Bluray or FLAC APE player:). I have nothing to complain about CDs, good studio and good equipment will master their music with great level of detail and sound quality, the rest is depending on your equipment to play them like the studio wanted it to be. There is a reason why Audiophile Disc sounds better than the the other ones. Also, check out Stockfisch Records, Linn, FIM, Premium Records , which are great example of fine recordings of music.

Alison Krauss and Norah Jones won their academy awards for the studio they used to record their music :).

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I still love CDs, but CDs will die when car companies start including USB and SD slots in the head unit instead of a CD players...IMO

I dont know if its just me getting older, but it seems like music itself is dying.

This is already happening.

Multiple aftermarket car audio companies are already making headunits that don't have a cd mechanism (Alpine, Sony, Kenwood etc). Also, Ford announced that their 2012 Focus/Fusion will come with stereos that allow smartphone integration, with no cd.

Basically both the OEMs and the aftermarkets are going away from CDs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts