DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching for a tweeter that can be crossed below beaming for a 6.5-7 inch midwoofer i came across the CDT ES-02. Listed freq responce 150-20k. Anybody have any experience with these. I was thinking about mounting them in the front upper corners of the door panels with the midwoofer in the stock location of my 07 accord. They would be run active of of a Zuki Eleets 5 hybrid. Still have not decided on a 6 or 7 inch yet. The doors are sealed and deadened. Any help?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I use them. As you would expect with a 2" wideband driver, they don't like to play loud down to 150 Hz. I was actually told by my CDT rep to not run them that low, and that most people use them from 250 Hz on up. They work quite well crossed over at 1 kHz on a 12 dB/octave slope.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use a set of the ES-02's. First, I recommend calling CDT and buying a set of their cosmetic seconds, if they have any on hand. Any blemish on mine is hardly noticed and irrelevant to me. The money savings was much more relevant and I am running them active from the amp's crossover so I only wanted the drivers which are all you will get.

Before I installed them, I tested them for a few songs with them in my hands and pivoted them all around to see how bad off axis would be. IMHO, there is significant dropping of the high end when angled greater than 30 degrees. This may be an important factor for your situation. Pods can be made to fix that or you can run a tiny tweeter later on and use them in an active three-way.

I have them mounted in the dash, a bit off-axis and blasting into the windshield. If I were less interested in the 100% stock appearance, I would make a stronger effort to mount them on axis, however I detect very little drop in the high frequency response like I did testing them prior to the install. In fact, I have reduced the treble adjustment slightly at the head unit. I have listened to most of my favorite tunes that I know well from evaluating audio gear (both home and auto) and I will eventually migrate toward some additional processing as they seem to have some high spots that need a bit of taming. I am sure this is related to my install rather than the speaker's character as I didn't detect that at testing either. I feel that they are more efficient than they are rated and IMHO they certainly do not need an amp that is rated to deliver more than 75 Watts to get them extremely happy.

Here is a link to the thread I started awhile ago asking about drivers in this class. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/system-design-help-me-choose-equipment-my-car/117716-small-wide-range-speakers-dash.html

Although I have more work to do on my modest system, I am very pleased with the purchase and look forward to adding the CL-69SUB/CF to the front stage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to cross them around 1800 to avoid any beaming. What is your impression of them as far as sq? Or would I be better off with a pure tweeter crossed @ 2.5k or higher and run the woofer up to there?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I feel that they are more efficient than they are rated and IMHO they certainly do not need an amp that is rated to deliver more than 75 Watts to get them extremely happy.
My findings are in line with this statement. I use the CS-020X Center Stage system which has a crossover module that includes a level adjustment. I have that set to less than 20% in addition to -8 dB attenuation on my head unit, but I also have 2 pairs of tweeters running off the same amp channels to account for the need of so much attenuation.

They will definitely keep up with your mids if you choose to cross them over under 1.8 kHz.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
They do resemble both a Tang Band and a Vifa 2" wideband driver. Not many manufacturers are doing their own ground-up R&D on drivers anymore.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a pair of the CDT ES-02 tweeters, but have not installed them yet. They are a very nice looking driver. I also have a pair of Dayton ND16FA-6 to run as "supertweeters" along side the CDT ES-02. I will have to experiment and see if it is necessary. Surprised how tiny the ND16FA-6 tweeter is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts