DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here's the deal. I have a Cadence ZRS component set for my front and MB Quart FTA169's for my rear fill. I was perfectly content with this setup until I heard my girlfriends 4inch ID CTX coaxials. They are amazing. Now I am thinking of changing my setup. I will be running the front speakers on a Polk Audio PA330. With Knuconceptz twisted wiring. I need some input or opinions since I have only heard 1 of these brands. Which ones are the best? Or am I pretty much comparing apples to apples? Here's my picks:

Front:
CDT CL-S50A
DLS C5A
ID CTX 6.5cs

Rear fill:
CDT CL-6EX
DLS Classic 126
ID CTX 6.5 or CTX69

BTW this is going in a 2002 Buick Regal if that makes a difference

·
Registered
151 Posts
you really are comparing apples to oranges here. each speaker has a sound its own and there will be a different person that says that each brand is the best.

my suggestion: go and find yourself shops around your area that have these brands and audition them (with music you listen to) for yourself. go in with a budget in mind, and let your ears do the talking for you as to which ones you think you can listen to and appreciate the most.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you really are comparing apples to oranges here. each speaker has a sound its own and there will be a different person that says that each brand is the best.

my suggestion: go and find yourself shops around your area that have these brands and audition them (with music you listen to) for yourself. go in with a budget in mind, and let your ears do the talking for you as to which ones you think you can listen to and appreciate the most.
The only shops around me are eithier JL, Kicker, RF, or Alpine stuff. Budget is probably around $200 to $300. I listen to a little of everything. Mostly hip hop though and a lot of Decaf. So far i'm biased toward ID since I heard it but i am a little worried about build quality since they are owned by Powerbass now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the money inlike the dls. Smooth solid midbass and laid back tweet
Yeah thats what I was thinking. If the 3 are pretty much the same, I would rather just get the cheapest. And maybe I could even get 1 of the better sets of DLS within my budget. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
My vote is for these DLS Reference RM6.2 (RM 6.2) 6-1/2" 2-way Component System
I jut swapped a set of type r for these. The alpine nver really did it for me even after changing the tweeter to a pair of vifa aluminum domes.
The tweet and mid blend so good kinda laid back but can get VERY loud and still sound amazing.
The mid is very well built rated at 100 watts and can get very low and still keep every bit of it composure.
Its a very enjoyable listining experience no matter what you play.
Edit: sonic just raised the price on these like 60 bucks and knowing what i know now i would still buy them. So ya i really love this set.

·
Registered
151 Posts
im biased. i like DLS so thats what i would suggest. if you liked the brightness of the mb quarts, i was gonna suggest you look into getting DLS R6A components for now (and get the 126 coax later). just that change in the front stage will be a day and night difference. the only thing is that these components alone will break your budget.

·
Registered
438 Posts
plus I think the RM6.2 is a 3ohm driver...cheap way to boost the output of your existing amp.
(ref: specs as described @ DLS site, not SonicElex ad site)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was in a similar position... I was looking for something that would get loud and sound REALLY good.

I went with the DLS RM6.2, although I'd never heard them, and still haven't since they are not yet installed.

Pretty much like thomasluke said, everybody has told me the same thing...

"The tweet and mid blend so good kinda laid back but can get VERY loud and still sound amazing.
The mid is very well built rated at 100 watts and can get very low and still keep every bit of it composure.
Its a very enjoyable listining experience no matter what you play."

I'm sure I'll love them, that is what I was looking for, and I'm going to do everything I can to install them as close to perfectly as possible per DLS's instructions.

B.T.W. the cheapest price I found on them was through the DLS Online Store on ebay. I talked to DLS before I bought them and they said they were the only legit DLS dealers on ebay... they also said they are seeing a lot of fakes on the 'bay so I'd only go that route.

·
Registered
72 Posts
plus I think the RM6.2 is a 3ohm driver...cheap way to boost the output of your existing amp.
(ref: specs as described @ DLS site, not SonicElex ad site)
Everything other than the DLS site says 4 ohm, I'm going to email them to find out which is correct and I'll respond here... shouldn't really make a great deal of difference either way though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 on the DLS

Tweeters are extremely smooth and laid back. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the tweeters are actually produced by Scan. I will say the mid-bass on the Ultimate line is very "light." On the other hand, the Mid-bass on the RM 6.2's are much "stronger." Havn't heard the iridium or nobeliums.

Sorry can't compare to ID or CDT.

Maybe ask yourself some basic ?'s to narrow down your search?

Budget?

Where will the be installed/mounted/imaged? Tweeter? Mb?

How much wattage do you have available?

umm tweeter preference? soft or hard dome?

Depth may be an issue?

Cone material? Aluminum, Paper, Poly, etc what do you prefer? Each cone material has its own unique 'sound.'

Hm good luck man
Well I found another option that I was also thinking about on partsexpress.
Vifa NE19VTT-04 3/4" Titanium Silk Surround Tweeter 264-1004 thess tweeters and these mids Dayton ND140-4 5-1/4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm 290-216 what do you think? Not saying I wouldnt go the DLS route. Just weighing my options.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
The only shops around me are eithier JL, Kicker, RF, or Alpine stuff. Budget is probably around $200 to $300. I listen to a little of everything. Mostly hip hop though and a lot of Decaf. So far i'm biased toward ID since I heard it but i am a little worried about build quality since they are owned by Powerbass now.
Well I found another option that I was also thinking about on partsexpress.
Vifa NE19VTT-04 3/4" Titanium Silk Surround Tweeter 264-1004 thess tweeters and these mids Dayton ND140-4 5-1/4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm 290-216 what do you think? Not saying I wouldnt go the DLS route. Just weighing my options.
i'm biased but here's my thought.

go with the dls. lol. the partsexpress stuff you showed might be ok but how do you plan on running them? it'd be ok if you were going active but i don't see that in ur setup.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Yes these are indeed 3 ohm drivers.
The only thing that meens is that you need to be carefull when bridging them on a four channel.
Otherwise it just pulls a little more power out of your amp in reference to a 4 ohm load.
I'm running mine off of a boston 2.125 and really regret not getting a little more power for them.
Sonic says 100 watts but the manual that came in the box says 100 for the woofer and 50 for the tweet.
So in the very near future i'll be bumping it up about 200 watts running with passives.
Just something to think about.
Edit: PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST GET THE DLS MAN !!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i like the image speakers they sound great installed of axis where most speakers are installed anyways, they only knock on them is that they can be a little bright at the xover frequency. and the dls with the 3 ohm voice wont really acheive much theres not going to be a very big power difference

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
i'm biased but here's my thought.

go with the dls. lol. the partsexpress stuff you showed might be ok but how do you plan on running them? it'd be ok if you were going active but i don't see that in ur setup.
Ok im not entirely stupid here but I hear going "active" a lot and I am not sure what that means. Sorry if that is a stupid question. But why dont you think that parts express setup would work? With a crossover that is.... Does it matter that my deck has built in high pass and low pass filters (which I use) ?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts