DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 BMW 323Ci Convertible. I am running a system with an MS-8 and would like to install a center channel but the 323Ci has HVAC vents right where the center channel should go. There are 2 center vents that are about 4" across. The best speaker that I've found so far is a Polk 5.25 SR because it sounds great, has a very small neo magnet structure, and is only 2.25" deep. My though is that I could trim or soften the vents to make room for the neo magnet then I would only need to have about 1.5 - 1.75" above the dash. With each vent being 4" across I would only need to remove about an inch from each vent (to fit the neo magnet) so the vents would still have about 3 inches across (3/4 of their original size) so they should still work pretty well.

Has anyone here tried to do anything like this? Looking for any help with how to move, cut, shift the vents to create the space I need but still allow for the HVAC to still work.

Any help here is greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Most I would do would be a couple of tweeters on the back of the mirror or not at all, I've never herd a center channel in a car that I liked.. That's just me..

What do you hope to achieve with a center channel? You realize that you'll be asking whatever you put in your dash to do a LOT of work..

your call though.. I've got the PERFECT dash for it if I really wanted I could mount a shallow 8" .... lol...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The great thing about the MS-8 is that the center channel is what takes it to the next level. Because of the way it time aligns it will move the sound stage to the midpoint between the reflected sound (windshield) and the speaker (dash). It also allows both front seats to be time aligned at the same time and pretty much makes the whole car a great seat for the show. So yes it's worth it. :laugh

Subs in the dash are so cool.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Youd have the modify the actual vents to fit the center. BMW HVAC unit is directly in the center and all the vents stem off from it. What you see at the front of the dash is just the Vent adjustments fins. The tubing is behind it.

you could take a hole saw to the top of the dash and actually cut into the plastic vent tubing, then use ABS and plastic weld to fill in the gaps
so basically you have a circle area between the vents and the vents are resealed.

Or you can just pull one out bc they are actually kind of off center and heat and bend the other out of the way some.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Have you done this? This is what I was trying to say above when I talked about making room for the neo magnet portion of the Polk SR 5.25. So you think / know it can be done? I have pulled the front vent controls off and looked back up in there and looks like it would work. Do you have a E46 BMW?

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I hav an E36 and it isnt THAT different. When I did a center channel I removed my vents completely and then covered the front vent portion from the backside so it would seal the area but the vents would still "look" functional.
the Left/right and floor vents were still functional so the center vent wasnt that big of a deal to lose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.