DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle tells me he needs a little help on his 65 Ford. He wants me to find him a cheapo cd player and some 6X9"s for the rear deck. Well I convinced him to scratch that and just replace the center channel speaker thats in the dash. So heres the situation. The speaker is held by a bracket that fits around the magnet of the 3X8" or whatever this thing used to be. This thing was beyond shot.

The idea is to utilize what I could to keep it all stock. My main concern was to keep the bracket that held it in. And then I thought of somehow using the basket of the speaker that was there. So, I tore out the grill, cone voice coil etc. and made some cuts to the basket. I would like to try and fit two of my extra NS3's in there.

What I will do is create a 1/2" quasi-baffle and epoxy it to the basket where the old cone was. This will have my two 3" cutouts for the left and right speaker. This way, I could still use the stock basket and bracket and have everything mount perfectly as it would have originally.

Thats the semi easy part. These guys only need 1L of volume per driver. Naturally my mind started to wonder, and I was brainstorming a way to squeeze every bit of SQ out of these guys. I know fiberglass doesn't adhere to metal, but is there a way that I could stretch fabric over the basket, and remove it once its hardens and then glass that to the baffle? Is that even worth it? My uncle is kinda old and isn't an audiophile by any stretch. I was just thinking of doing the most of what I could. This will be his only speaker BTW.

Any opinions guys?

·
Registered
238 Posts
That will work. Start cutting!

I would cut out the whole basket and just keep the metal top-frame...then screw that frame onto a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF. (MDF on the underside of the metal frame). Cut out your openings for the drivers...

Why not add a tweeter in the middle - a sort of mini D'Appolito array...along with a passive crossover?

How are you going to power it?

Also - instead of this project, there may well be an aftermarket speaker available in that size. Call Madisound and Parts Express.

To mount, simply get some long screws and run them all the way through the MDF and the OEM metal mount holes.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See thats the thing, it was mounted by that bracket. There werent any screws in the actual speaker. Thats why I really want to use the basket and the bracket that fits it. And it will just be powered by the headunit (~22w ea.). This is by no means an elaborate system. My uncle just wants something stealthy and audible.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
get some lycra and use that to make your shape. you can ca glue it to the metal and then resin over that, then glass. this is pretty much the same thing only for some pods i made.

base, same as your basket.

tweet mount

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Make a small box that will fit were the speaker was,install the bracket with a few new screw holes in it to secure it to the box.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you think I could CA glue the fabric to the basket? I have some epoxy here at the house, do you believe that would work?

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
I'd either get another 4x10 and modify the bracket to work. or, go back to his idea and mount a couple 6x9's in the rear deck.

if not one of those two options, mount something in the kicks. there's nothing SQ you are going to get with just small speakers playing in the center, imo.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
So you think I could CA glue the fabric to the basket? I have some epoxy here at the house, do you believe that would work?

epoxy may work but it won't dry as fast as ca, especially if you have activator. just use something like lycra (super thin and stretchy) and glue it under the lip of the basket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts