DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was just wondering what people are using for their center channels with the JBL MS08? I have an Acura CL so I will have to custom fit it. Therefore, I don't have a size preference. I am running Hertz 165 MLK's so I am thinking about the Hertz ML 700. I also have a Dynaudio 242 set. I was thinking of using the midrange and tweeter from that set. Any thoughts? Different recommendations?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
personally, unless you are watching movies in your car, a center channel is not needed.

set up your system image correctly and you wont miss it ;)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
would be a bigger shame to use it if it made your system sound worse ;)

just my $0.02

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You think it could make the system sound worst? I have not heard the center channel in a vehicle. I have been trying to find someone who has it but they are few and far between.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
its just my opinion (hopefully some besides me chimes in ,lol) but ya I think it could. reflactions off the windsheild, timing issues (although with the ms8 you can tune those out), phase issues.

for me, I am not sure it is worth the extra complexity. you have a fairly small area in a car anyway, do you really need a center channel?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I agree with minbari. Not only will they cause phase and reflection issues, but center channel speakers are always a huge compromise (small drivers, poor placement) unless you've got a fully custom dash (which is much harder to have than it is to type the phrase "fully custom dash")

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A lot to think about here. It would save the cost of the Hertz ML 700's and customization of the dash (which is quite easy to type). Any thoughts the other way? What if I was able to work in the 6.5 driver? Do you think that would help?

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
The MS8 does a great job of integrating the center. I ran for a month without the center before adding one. There's no doubt it sounds better that way The catch is you need to run as large of a center as possible because you want it to be able to produce the same frequencies as the midbass. I'm using a 6.5" in the TL's stock location and luckily I was able to fit it with no mods. My tweeters are in the stock locations in the dash firing at the windshield. I taped both the tweeters and center to various locations where they weren't bouncing off the windshield and there was no difference. It will sound fine with the center in the dash.

It sounds better in the "driver" position but where it really shines is on the "front" position. There's less compromising going on with a center when it's set on "front".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My problem is that I have an Acura CL with no stock location. I don't know if I would be able to fit a 6.5 in there. Although, if I could I would use the dynaudio and tweeter.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The MS8 does a great job of integrating the center. I ran for a month without the center before adding one. There's no doubt it sounds better that way The catch is you need to run as large of a center as possible because you want it to be able to produce the same frequencies as the midbass. I'm using a 6.5" in the TL's stock location and luckily I was able to fit it with no mods. My tweeters are in the stock locations in the dash firing at the windshield. I taped both the tweeters and center to various locations where they weren't bouncing off the windshield and there was no difference. It will sound fine with the center in the dash.

It sounds better in the "driver" position but where it really shines is on the "front" position. There's less compromising going on with a center when it's set on "front".
THIS! With some install creativity you may be able to get something bigger in there. I started out with a 4" coax and have been testing some 6.5-7 comps and the difference is immense. Don't regret the extra work for one second. Sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Do you have an Acura Cl? if so, I would love to see some pics.
I do not-- sorry if I gave you the impression that I did. What ( if anything ) do you have for a center now? Is there anything at all to work with? If so, how are your fab skills?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right now I have nothing. No stock location. My fab skills are good but my time is limited. I was thinking of having something custom done. If I could get a 7 inch driver in there it would be great. What are you running right now. Its aggravating because I have accumulated all of the equipment and am trying to decide if I should wait a little longer so that I can incorporate the center channel.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Right now I have nothing. No stock location. My fab skills are good but my time is limited. I was thinking of having something custom done. If I could get a 7 inch driver in there it would be great. What are you running right now. Its aggravating because I have accumulated all of the equipment and am trying to decide if I should wait a little longer so that I can incorporate the center channel.
I hear you. I have all these great ideas... so I gather gear and sometimes I get around to it. The lack of a stock location is brutal. You can always find some kind of way to expand on a stock location, but if there is nothing to start with then you might want to search the threads here to see if someone has tackled it. Which reminds me I need to stop collecting all this $hit. LOL.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any ideas on how much to have the dash customized for center channel? I figure that if I go that route why not try to put both dynaudio drivers in?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Any ideas on how much to have the dash customized for center channel? I figure that if I go that route why not try to put both dynaudio drivers in?
really big hammer! :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Center channel is useless unless you play DTS or live concert / movies in car. 99% of tracks are recorded in stereo.

Anyway , center speaker should be good full range driver.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts