DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning out my room, and found some literature that came with my DLS components. I didn't notice this bit of info when I was doing the install. But DLS recommends a chamfered baffle for the midbass. I simply made 1/2" birch rings with no chamfer. My question is, will I notice a big difference in midbass response by going the chamfered route? The rings are fairly thin being only 1/2", I don't think the backwaves are really hitting it. But I want to get some second opinions before I take my doors apart to redo the rings.

http://www.dls.se/files/701/2/baffle_installation.pdf

Pics of my baffles:

passenger side

driver side

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would think if the manufacturer suggests it that it would be a good idea. I chamfered the baffles for my L3's and put my hand behind the baffle and speaker and it was moving plenty of air where the chamfered area was. It definatley won't hurt to do it and it's easy to do with a dremel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think if the manufacturer suggests it that it would be a good idea. I chamfered the baffles for my L3's and put my hand behind the baffle and speaker and it was moving plenty of air where the chamfered area was. It definatley won't hurt to do it and it's easy to do with a dremel.
how thick is your baffle?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
There was a thread on here a while back and it called DLS out on this line of BS.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I did it on my mids, but I think my basket was a little bit more shallow than yours. My baffle was 0.75", and it would have almost completely choked my drivers if I didn't chamfer it. I actually did more of a sweep than a straight chamfer. I will try to get pictures tonight.

·
Registered
343 Posts
There was a thread on here a while back and it called DLS out on this line of BS.
the thread was about the DLS I sold to Fiercetimbo. When I sold them to him I pointed him to the document that was on DLS's site where they suggested to chamfer the baffle. I'm pretty sure the manufacturer tried chamfer and non chamfer and realized that it was better to chamfer.

I don't think it's a huge difference but for me it doesn't hurt to do it and could only help. So why not do it?

here's my l3's

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i guess when i have spare time i'll redo them. but as of right now, the midbass response is very good. :)

thanks for the replies fellas. RMAT how did you make those cuts? dremel?

·
Registered
343 Posts
well i guess when i have spare time i'll redo them. but as of right now, the midbass response is very good. :)

thanks for the replies fellas. RMAT how did you make those cuts? dremel?

yup dremel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts