DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my IA ND-12 sub for an SI Mag D2v4 and it oddly improved not just the bass, but the clarity, detail and 'palpability' of the mids to highs. See details of my review/install here: post #163 http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/50446-stereo-integrity-mag-v4-7.html I've had other subs in there eg. IDQv2, Kappa Perfect, TC sounds, RF and Soundstream old school 10s and 12s and none came even close to affecting the sound like it has w/ the change to the SI.

In over thirty years of having car systems I've only experianced something somewhat similar one other time. This was w/ my wife's Rx330 where I added an amp and sub to the stock system. This is the non-levinson system and it sounds like crap w/ bloated, indistinct upper midbass, no low bass, smeared highs and often inarticulate vocals. I would actually turn it off or way down when riding in her car. To this sytem was added an IDQ12v2 in .9 cu ft. sealed box fed off an RF amp tapped in via LOCs w/ lowpass at about 120hz w/ all boost or bass controls at flat/0. And this made the system just snap into focus w/ improved coherence and articulation throughout the range. It was and is weird. Keep in mind that there was no sound deadening done, no alteration of midbass or tweeters, not even a highpass to the midbass, but the sound just gelled. The Lexus system does not have the midbass hit or the extreme highend detail of my other systems, but it sounds just 'right' enuff so I am satisfied not to f#^k w/ it.

So I ask and challenge you DIYMA gurus and speculators, WHY? And if you say I'm just crazy then I must be selectively crazy, cause I've never heard this phenomena in cars before. I now know that I won't ever subscribe to the theory that the bottom two octaves are 'just bass', 'go boom' or 'only 20 to 80 hz', especially when the top two octaves are 5k to 20khz. Appears that bass is not just fun, but perhaps 'essentially interacts' w/ the rest of the musical spectrum? How?

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
I've seen it in print...
1] adding a subwoofer is a 100% improvement to a stock system :)

could be amount of power sub is seeing, size of box affects frequency range...

If you ever get some processing controls, nice components, etc..,

just go to a show and hear what you're missing :eek: :D :)

Sounds like you are paying more attention to the music ...

sub may be integrating or more in sync with your whole system now ...phase coherence

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
In my experience it is often from the sub just not having a flat response, and a peak in the sub makes it sound too loud so you turn it down to blend...or have it too high and the peak blows off other frequencies. That in turn can mess up the blend into midbass and otherwise detract from a wide range. I was amazed when I had a parametric on my IB subs, I could make them sound any way I wanted. Figured the big EQ in the 880 would do the same but it does not so consideration is strong to put that back in on the sub next time I tear into it....even though I don't want more stuff in the car.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The reason you're hearing what you're hearing is a combination of a lot of things, but it's mainly the inductance (not only the measure of inductance, but the linearity of the inductance over stroke) and BL linearity. Low and linear inductance allows a driver to play higher than a driver with higher inductance. Lower inductance also allows the subwoofer to be "faster", which isn't always about double kick drums...it affects everything. Imaging and staging become much better because the driver can react to subtle changes in all signals whether they be vocals or ambient noise or kick drums or etc. And when you consider that the driver is able to follow every change a lot better, it makes sense that the driver makes your front stage sound a lot better. Instead of simply playing up to a certain point and falling off, your new driver has the ability to play a lot higher than ever before (the cutoff frequency full-range is around 1200 Hz). Even though you have the driver crossed over at 80 or 100 Hz, the rate of roll off still has audible characteristics that affect how the subwoofer integrates with the rest of your system. In this case, you've got a driver that not only has a low measured inductance, but a low inherent inductance (a measure of the coils inductance outside of the driver entirely), which is what helps it disappear and make your front stage sound huge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts