DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
A guy posted this over on the Corvette Forum a couple of months ago. Do you know SublimeZ?
Hah! Do I know SublimeZ? We were the founding members of the Austin chapter of DIYMA a little over a year ago. He lives around the corner from me and gets car audio help from the same guy I do, Glenn (GLN305). Glenn invented tweeter pods and made and installed them for both of us.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
well just got back from lowes and hd, from what i can tell the closet size for my LPG's is 1.5" end cap, but its a lil too small. does anyone know if they make a 1.75" end cap it would be a bigger in my opinion but i can wrapped them and they should fit shug.

Mike has anyone tried this technique with a large format tweeter?
If they just barely don't fit, you could try sanding the 1.5" end caps. Or get 2" end caps and use some weather stripping foam etc. to line the insides to make it a snug fit.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Sorry James, I did not see your name there. I have just finished doing this to my C4, and the difference is quite dramatic. It raises the sound stage so that the sound is right there.

Well done.
Glenn (GLN305) deserves all the credit. He is the one who thought of the idea and how to finish them. Lots of people use ends caps, but they usually glue or glass them in. With this approach, swapping out tweeters is a 10 minute job. He is also a master at sparying bedliner - his first coat is smooth and then the second coat adds texture.

·
Registered
454 Posts
the pillar mount for me was an utter failure as far as sound, next experiment....... these pods!! caught my eye months ago and it is now time to play around. Great idea Glenn and great write up and pics Shiv

·
Registered
768 Posts
got mine ghetto'ed in, still need to work some with the angles and they look a little funny in my little cobalt but they are there and thats a huge plus for me. those with these from the FoosBQue sounded very nice. so I have high hopes in the end for mine.

SublimeZ, I did go ahead and pick up the xxx comps and am liking them so far, rather astounded with the mid action on these

·
Registered
455 Posts
SublimeZ, I did go ahead and pick up the xxx comps and am liking them so far, rather astounded with the mid action on these
Yeah, they're monsters. Tweets are pretty good, directly on axis. They will play as low as 2k, but did very well hp'd at 2.5k.

·
Registered
454 Posts
optical illusion

Wow, nutty optics on the other angles, thanks! Still considering chopping mine a bit for an even lower profile, but it is all still nothing but an idea and experiment. The dash in my scion is not level, there is a "hump" of sorts, so they would have to go at least 4 inches up the pillar to clear it and it is not real easy to temp them in to get a listen that way

·
Registered
133 Posts
im trying a 3inch peerless fullrange this week, previously i had the tweet from my pg rsd comp set in one (cant remember size).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice idea I guess, but still looks FUGLY IMO!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Nice idea I guess, but still looks FUGLY IMO!
Do you have a better way to mount tweeters on the A-pillars? There is really not any way to make them blend in completely, and the bigger the tweeter, the more they stand out. If they are small (ie. small tweeters) and painted a coordinating color, they look pretty nice actually - the pics don't do them justice.

Waiting to hear what brilliant ideas you have ...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
This would work amazingly for gauges too if they weren't too deep. Very cool!
You can sand them down to the depth you need. It is actually a very good way to mount gauges on an A-pillar.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hey,

is the bed liner absolutely necessary? Like does it help with the sound or something?

eitherways, great writeup, I'm going to give this a shot this week

41 - 60 of 345 Posts