DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya. Been a minute.

TL,DR I need to buy some full range amps. Need to be small and class D and full range. At least five or maybe seven channels worth. And small, able to fit in the factory location behind the rear seat. Are any of the cheap amps any good? Which ones are worthy of purchase?

I'm building a project in a 24 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee with an infinity upgrade system that frankly? Sounds okay. What's not okay is it's old and needs extra functionality in the radio.

The factory amp has some crossovers built into them, where the door 6x9s are bandpassed and the weird 2 3/4" dash speakers are dry rotted. It crossed my mind to find replacement ones and just change them, but with the pandemic supply chain issues who knows when that's going to happen. So I decided to just replace the whole damn thing, and I'm okay with buying speakers and doing a fiberglass box for the sub, but amps now confuse me.

For reference, I bought a RF Punch 45 back in 1988 for $250 1988 dollars. It made 90 watts.

Now you can spend $250 and get a legit 3KW? 馃槼

I could make a couple of phone calls and get some product from old friends, but I really just want to order something online and be done with it. A 100w a channel or so would be great.

Any ideas?

Registered
Electronics have come a long way , you can get sound quality very cheaply now that years ago would have cost you a lot more.

Best bet is just do some research , if there are no reviews/comments to the item you want then you would have to order it and just find out for yourself.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best bet is just do some research
Thank you for the response.

I kind of did, for the past three months, and am more confused than I was before.

I guess I should ask my question different - what's a reasonable price to pay for a quality amp around 100x4 into 4 ohms?

Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
Comment to follow, people have mentioned the soundstream picasso nano series are surprisingly good for the peanuts price. There鈥檚 at least three different brands with the same circuit boards, soundstream, ppi and, idk, something. Very far removed from the soundstream and ppi we remember from the 90,s but they鈥檙e spoken about as doing close to, or rated power. And being quite small.

Registered
Comment to follow, people have mentioned the soundstream picasso nano series are surprisingly good for the peanuts price. There鈥檚 at least three different brands with the same circuit boards, soundstream, ppi and, idk, something. Very far removed from the soundstream and ppi we remember from the 90,s but they鈥檙e spoken about as doing close to, or rated power. And being quite small.
Dual. Walmart. Same thing. Same terminals. Same control layout.

Registered
In the SQ class buck for buck I highly doubt anything comes even close to a Sony GS4 that could be had for as little as 250usd brand new. remarkable price performance really

Registered
But...he doesn't talk about anything else. The build quality or nothing. Kinda aggravating. I want more.
well make your own youtube channel!

i thought that when he would take them apart and highlight some of the components and state whether he thought it was built like junk or not.....isn't that something along the lines of talking about build quality? thats what I thought anyways....

Registered
well make your own youtube channel!

i thought that when he would take them apart and highlight some of the components and state whether he thought it was built like junk or not.....isn't that something along the lines of talking about build quality? thats what I thought anyways....
Ya...kinda. the guy he links to .....a UK 馃嚞馃嚙 guy I think. He does a great job of explaining what the amp actually is. When the design was first used and who originally designed it.....I'll be back.

Registered
Power acoustik amps are the same as the ppi and soundstream amps. They're built well in Korea vs a lot of "better" amps built by Chinese "it's not legally slavery" workers. The power acoustik amps by and large do not donated power because they massively overstate their power. They do the same power as the identical ppi amps that do rated power, and it's pretty easy to map which ones are which. It's also pretty impressive power all things considered. Oh, and they're tiny. And they're reliable. And they're cheap. Oh and they have ones with built in Dsp to run active. They're also not half bad looking, very understated, and you can run them in small spaces and not worry about heat.

You won't win any contests for who is coolest on the board here, but they good, cheap, clean power in a small space that take abuse. I have one I've abused for like 5 or 6 years now that hasn't missed a beat.

Reactions: JohnnyOhh

Registered
I use the Jensen 4 channel with dsp and leds in my uber car.
I've never thought about again once I set it.
But now that I am....the thing runs 4 to 5 hours straight. Playing music at 2 ohms on all channels. It hasn't missed a beat coming up on a year. 9

Registered
Power acoustik amps are the same as the ppi and soundstream amps. They're built well in Korea vs a lot of "better" amps built by Chinese "it's not legally slavery" workers. The power acoustik amps by and large do not donated power because they massively overstate their power. They do the same power as the identical ppi amps that do rated power, and it's pretty easy to map which ones are which. It's also pretty impressive power all things considered. Oh, and they're tiny. And they're reliable. And they're cheap. Oh and they have ones with built in Dsp to run active. They're also not half bad looking, very understated, and you can run them in small spaces and not worry about heat.

You won't win any contests for who is coolest on the board here, but they good, cheap, clean power in a small space that take abuse. I have one I've abused for like 5 or 6 years now that hasn't missed a beat.
How do they do sound/hiss wise?

Registered
The ones I have used have sounded fine. For reference I have a couple of alpine amps that cost 3 to 4 times as much. They have more hiss. The Jensen I use everyday is dead silent. Even with the gains up pretty high and a very cheap 20 dollar loc.
Sounds fine. Its being used full range on a set of cheap alpine type comps and it is honestly the best thing I've heard. In this type of install. Just an loc and amp. The alpine comps are a freaking steal at the 100 bucks amazon wants to.

Registered
The ones I have used have sounded fine. For reference I have a couple of alpine amps that cost 3 to 4 times as much. They have more hiss. The Jensen I use everyday is dead silent. Even with the gains up pretty high and a very cheap 20 dollar loc.
Sounds fine. Its being used full range on a set of cheap alpine type comps and it is honestly the best thing I've heard. In this type of install. Just an loc and amp. The alpine comps are a freaking steal at the 100 bucks amazon wants to.
Interesting, I鈥檓 looking hard at the alpine 6 channel.

Registered
In the SQ class buck for buck I highly doubt anything comes even close to a Sony GS4 that could be had for as little as 250usd brand new. remarkable price performance really
yes! Sony XM-GS4 or XM-GS400 - it鈥檚 4 channel class A/B (but the mono version of the amp is class D鈥 ) it鈥檚 absolutely silly for the price. Very low distortion (like really low) and it has nice components like Rubycon caps, Sanken BJT transistors鈥 freaking insane for their price鈥 I second this if you are looking for an SQ kind of build鈥

But if you鈥檙e looking for a class D 4 channel then any decent brand will be fine..Alpine, Rockford, Kicker, Pioneer if you鈥檙e on a budget.

Brants to stay away from are crunch, Pyle, really anything made by maxxsonics鈥 Rockville I would stay away from although I have heard decent reports from some people鈥 Taramps I dont care for I feel they are cheaply made but again like the Rockville I鈥檝e heard a lot of people have had success with them as a sub amp鈥ou can鈥檛 go too wrong with any decent amps nowadays as long as you don鈥檛 scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Registered
They don't.

I had some hiss when I first set it up with gains kinda randomly set. But you'll get noise out of any amp if you crank the gain too high. Once I adjusted it down to a correct level, it's silent. And that's off an older Pioneer double Din (f90bt, circa 2008 I think?).

Honestly, you put someone in a car with these amps vs one with something else of the same power, nobody will be able to tell the difference outside of something that has really good dynamic power like a rockford. I'm not gonna tell you they're the best amps in the world, but for 400$ you can have a 3 way active front with 260w to your midbass, 130w to your mids and tweets, and 900w at 1 ohm to your sub, and has your dsp built in for the 4ch amp. The 5ch amp is also dsp built in, but has a lot lower sub power, and the 4ch section is weaker too, probably fine, but the sub channel is only like 300w. I have personally paid more than that for a single amp that did nowhere near that kind of power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts