DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a new monitor (I'm on my computer a lot) and have a lot of the most recent xbox 360 games. I'm not limited by space and would only probably use this monitor for a year (unless I took it with me to college).

The problem I have is that, Xbox 360 is 720p and most computer LCDs are 1080p...and LCDs traditionally are only good in their native resolution. I'd like a new monitor (1998 Dell CRT) and a good gaming monitor. The bigger the better, I'm also looking for something <$250 (eBay is fine as long as its in good condition).

What units would you recommend that are reasonable (<$250), and are good gaming/browsing monitors?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm looking at getting a new monitor (I'm on my computer a lot) and have a lot of the most recent xbox 360 games. I'm not limited by space and would only probably use this monitor for a year (unless I took it with me to college).

The problem I have is that, Xbox 360 is 720p and most computer LCDs are 1080p...and LCDs traditionally are only good in their native resolution. I'd like a new monitor (1998 Dell CRT) and a good gaming monitor. The bigger the better, I'm also looking for something <$250 (eBay is fine as long as its in good condition).

What units would you recommend that are reasonable (<$250), and are good gaming/browsing monitors?
FYI you can get 1080P out of the VGA cable. The Xbox 360 can do all HD resolutions, depends on the monitor. Some Tv's actually can dish out 1080p through component. But unless you got the Elite or the new Xbox360 Premiums with the HDMI connectivity, VGA is the only way to get 1080P for the most part, and its the connection suited for PC gaming/monitors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
sony fw900 (24" WS CRT ftmfw!!!), or f520 --- Hell I kinda want an fw900 even though I'm looking to switch to a samsung 226cw LCD atm!

I listed two of th best caliber CRT's cuz well...they are cheap/outdated now even though I still consider them superior to LCD's...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sony fw900 (24" WS CRT ftmfw!!!), or f520 --- Hell I kinda want an fw900 even though I'm looking to switch to a samsung 226cw LCD atm!

I listed two of th best caliber CRT's cuz well...they are cheap/outdated now even though I still consider them superior to LCD's...
Thanks man, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for!:D Cheap, and amazing picture. By any chance do you know where to find one of these beauties, besides ebay? Could I get full 1080p out of them with the VGA input from my 360?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8400492&st=lg&type=product&id=1179877503299

There you go buddy. This monitor is great. I use it on my pc and I love it. Excellent price for the quality.

2000:1 contrast ratio with 5ms response.

Only thing I don't like about the monitor is for some reason it's on of those LCD widescreens that is 16:10 instead of 16:9 which is the real format for widescreen. Other than that it's a great monitor. When I first bought it, it had 3 stuck pixels. I took it right back to bestbuy and they replaced it right there. The dipshit salesman who tried filling me up with a bunch of bullshit and didn't know what he was talking about tried telling me that they don't replace the montiors unless they have 30% of the pixels dead:eek: He even told me that he didn't think any store will replace them with any less dead pixels than that! Bullshit, costco replaces anything no questions asked.

I took it to the customer service desk and they didn't mention their pixel policy at all.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8400492&st=lg&type=product&id=1179877503299

There you go buddy. This monitor is great. I use it on my pc and I love it. Excellent price for the quality.

2000:1 contrast ratio with 5ms response.

Only thing I don't like about the monitor is for some reason it's on of those LCD widescreens that is 16:10 instead of 16:9 which is the real format for widescreen. Other than that it's a great monitor. When I first bought it, it had 3 stuck pixels. I took it right back to bestbuy and they replaced it right there. The dipshit salesman who tried filling me up with a bunch of bullshit and didn't know what he was talking about tried telling me that they don't replace the montiors unless they have 30% of the pixels dead:eek: He even told me that he didn't think any store will replace them with any less dead pixels than that! Bullshit, costco replaces anything no questions asked.

I took it to the customer service desk and they didn't mention their pixel policy at all.
Yeah, thats the problem. I would just pick up a Dell 2007wfp or something, but I'd like to also play my Xbox 360 on it (just got Bioshock, wanna see some more eyecandy!). I don't want a small screen, but need to be able to switch resolutions (720p, 1080p) and from what I've heard...LCDs only like displaying in their native resolution (1680 x 1050, 1440 x 900, none of those are supported by the 360).

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a ViewSonic VX2025wm 20.1" widescreen LCD with the P-MVA panel that I use for my computer and sometimes with my Xbox 360 set to 1360x768 resolution. The monitor upscales it to 1650x1050 and it does a pretty damn good job at doing it. Only the text in the Guide menu can look a little jagged from time to time but everything else looks beautiful, in someways I prefer it to my 51" HD RP CRT. Of course the black levels don't compare but the image is just a tad sharper on the LCD. I wouldn't rule out an LCD unless it's a TN Panel type, sure they update quick but the colors are washed out and the blacks aren't that great.

Ryan

·
Registered
38 Posts
ebay
craigslist (I've seen the fw900 and f520 on here within the past 3 months)
google search: "fs sony fw900" or "fs sony f520" or variants... gdm-f520... whatever you want to search = over and over until you find it.

That's it. Unfortunately the condition of these CRTs cannot be guaranteed - it's a gamble. If you can find a good one then jump on it (and let me know if there is another! :D ) -- although I'm prob. going with an LCD within the next 2 months, and my current setup is good enough.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Newegg.com sells an extremely popular 22" widescreen LCD for gaming made by Chenbro. It has like 1000+ reviews and people seem to really like it. I think it's right around $250 ~ $300. Native resolution is lower than 1080p. (which translates to 1920 x 1440 or 1920 x 1200 I believe)

Anyways, check it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Are you staying in an area that receives a limited amount of sunlight?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts