DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help or info will be appreciated as I am getting rid of my JL XD400/4. TIA.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NM found it NIB for $579.00. :)

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mods please delete. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
:( such a waste of almost 600 bucks. You could have gotten much better for the money. As long as your happy with it I guess :)

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suggestions as to what other amp please? I can always put that one in my truck as opposed to my Legacy. :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Where can you find a better amp that combines all of the same qualities for $600?
What makes it worth $600 to you? (This is a serious question.)

OP: What makes you dissatisfied with the XD and what do you expect the HD to give you that the XD won't? Is it just a question of power or is there something else?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As the op I was looking for more power and since I have a HD750/1 I wanted them to match. They are both mounted on my rear seat and the XD is much smaller then my HD. I really am learning when it comes to car audio, so my thought process is not as educated as you gentlemen. I figured not only do I want them to match cosmetically, I wanted room for growth with replacing the XD400 with a more powerful HD600. If this logic is wrong, please guide me in the right direction. :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you're happy with the sound then leave it as-is. The HD is a good amp, but overpriced in my opinion and in the opinion of many others. The XD is a good amp with a much better price. And there are many good amps outside of JL.

You can certainly change it out just to make them match or just to try something new or whatever. It's probably not a good use of money, but that's your call.

I'd tell you where to get it cheapest if I knew, but I don't.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Well, there are of course used options...like maybe an Arc SE Series if one got lucky. But, I would like to know myself what one might thinks is a MUCH better amp NIB for $600?

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
What makes it worth $600 to you? (This is a serious question.)

OP: What makes you dissatisfied with the XD and what do you expect the HD to give you that the XD won't? Is it just a question of power or is there something else?
It combines all of the qualities I want in an amp. Tons of power and headroom, small enough to fit under the seats, class D efficiency, reliable and no speaker killing problems like turn-on pops, and non existant noise floor. You can literally crank the gains all the way and unless you have the engine off and your ear right next to the tweeter, it's silent. You also get technology not available in other class D amps. I believe JL owns the full range class D market. There are many amps that do not offer what these amps offer that cost much more. FWIW, I got mine for $500 authorized new.

I've run several amps on these Dyn speakers besides the HD. I had a JL6450, McIntosh 430, Interfire, Infinity, etc. My entire system with 9 speakers is run off of only 2 amps that draw very little power, fit under the seats, and sound just as good as the McIntosh.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Plenty of amps that can do that.

The Arc KS 125.4 Mini is efficient - class GH - and has the other benefits you mentioned. The XXD series seemed to be disliked due to problems, and the replacement XDi is said to be fixed completely, but I'm right behind you in not trusting it.

The Kenwood XR-4S is good and isn't known to be problematic to my knowledge.

The PPI Phantom series just came out and seems good so far but I'd like to wait a bit before I consider buying it.

Rockford has Full-range Class D amps in all 3 lines now. I would never own their subs but their amps are great. The Prime series ones at least are reasonably small.

etc.

And I don't think the HD competes favorably over XD for value - not even close.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Plenty of amps that can do that.

The Arc KS 125.4 Mini is efficient - class GH - and has the other benefits you mentioned. The XXD series seemed to be disliked due to problems, and the replacement XDi is said to be fixed completely, but I'm right behind you in not trusting it.

The Kenwood XR-4S is good and isn't known to be problematic to my knowledge.

The PPI Phantom series just came out and seems good so far but I'd like to wait a bit before I consider buying it.

Rockford has Full-range Class D amps in all 3 lines now. I would never own their subs but their amps are great. The Prime series ones at least are reasonably small.

etc.

And I don't think the HD competes favorably over XD for value - not even close.
Define value. If the XD can't supply enough power for my needs it doesn't matter how good the value is. I looked at the Rockford amps but they wouldn't fit under my seats.

The HD was literally the only amp that has every trait I needed.

I got one of my used 600/4s for a little over $300 and the 900/5 for $600. Thats a great value.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts