DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Based on some info I found here I made some tweeter pods and I'm really proud of how they came out.

Drillin' them holes. I found with 3/8" it perfectly fit the nipple tightly and I was able to use the threads of the nipple to bite the pvc cap. I chose a pvc cap 1/4" larger than my tweeters so that I could wrap them with foam.

20200206_135358.jpg

Next I did a couple of coats with the truck bed liner. Living in Maine makes it hard to paint things in the winter without killing yourself but probably applying around 55F. I did 2 coats.

20200206_144929.jpg

I mocked them up to find the spots where I wanted to drill my pillar. Getting the painters tape to stick (or anything for that matter) to the pillar was tough.

20200207_084946.jpg

I put foam around the outside edge of the tweeter so that it would fit tightly into the cap but still be adjustable. I can also adjust the angle of the pods themselves. And in the car with the diamond tweeters installed:

20200207_093035.jpg 20200207_103500.jpg 20200207_103517.jpg

Of course I buttoned it all up afterward. This next week I am redoing my amp rack. Given my small amp shit the bed I now have to find room for two larger amps and having my amps on the backseat is lame as hell. I'm building a real amp rack that will go behind the back seat. There is about 18" between the seat back and my subwoofer box and I plan to make an amp rack 44"x16" which would allow me to install the amps sideways (to give even more room).

I took some pictures of the install but I'm sort of embarrassed about my amplifier rack. Once I finish my work next week I'll post the before and after pics along with the car I took all this gear out of.

Now I was looking at these and worried a little that the sun might hit the tweeters. These aluminum tweets are pretty tough but some silk ones might be damaged by the sun? I thought in the next revision I could make it hooded like a bullet camera...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't "hood" them. The waves leaving the driver need to immediately roll off radially. And that pizza box paint booth is awesome.
Thanks for the advice! After watching a lot of installs over the past few days on youtube I see nobody really worries about the sun even on their 2000$ components.

So does anybody looking at my pillar/dash have any advice where you might put a 3-way?? There is a 2.5" in the dash but reflections off the windshield can be a real downer (caused me trouble in a saab I had years ago).. I know the 2.5" drivers play well off axis... Can you get away with PVC pods for a 2.5"? I would have to do something different to make it look right...

·
Read Only
327 Posts
Tough call. My tweeter will sit above my 4" mid on the pillar. And what do you mean by "3-way?" A coaxial?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean 3 way components to add a midrange like a 2.5" for when I upgrade and go active. I've got plenty of time to mull it over, one thought I had would be building into the dash speaker grill which pops off.

·
Read Only
327 Posts
You're pretty ingenuitive, so I have the utmost faith in whatever you decide to do with the midrange :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts