DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to build a 3-way front stage I need a 3"-3.5" midrange speaker. After some web searching I happened across this driver. E J Jordan JX53

Looking at their claimed specs, this little driver doesn't look all that bad. :) Creative Sound even has its bigger brother paired with an Aurum Cantus G2Si ribbon in a DIY home speaker.

Has anyone seen/heard this driver or manufacture? I am thinking of trying these out.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
It's a nice driver, however I'm a little more partial to the Aura ns3 given the price...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I've not blown up many drivers in my life, which is pretty amazing, considering. However, I have blown up a couple JX53's, despite using them in abundance with a conservative high-pass filter. Moreover, before catastrophe an array of 4 JX53's per side did not fare well in direct comparison with a much cheaper Vifa 10BGS in the near field or 3m away, even after I ditched Jordan's rudimentary 2-element filter for much more elaborate voicing. They got a little louder, as would be expected given that the quad of them exceeded the 10BGS's Sd by about 250% and cost nearly 10x more. That was their only advantage.

Admittedly, six of the eight JX53's I bought had QC issues namely frame misalignment, that contributed to their rather dismal comparative performance. I note that the new version has ditched the old basket for a new polymer design, which should be more precisely made.

The JX92S is really nice, but isn't that relevant to the JX53's performance. The QC problems I found in the '53 aren't in evidence with the 92 because it's OEM'ed for Jordan by Vifa. (Or at least it was when the JX92S first came out; they might have changed since then.) However, my JX53 experience only left me poorer. I second our host's recommendation of the Aura NS3, and if you want something similarly good but better made and more expensive, the Vifa 10BGS.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DS-21,

Thank you so much for your reply! I am very glad to hear from someone who actually has used these drivers. Between you and our gracious host you have stopped me from possibly making a mistake.

npdang,

Have you A/B'ed the Aura 3" and the DLS 3"? I would be curious to hear from you regarding the two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts