DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I purchased a used 23w scans sub and hooked it up with a tru b2200 amp. It was fine for about 2weeks then one fine morning it just 'died'. No sound... nothing. The amp seems fine when tested with other speakers, so its the 23w that gave way.

The person who sold it to me is adamant that the sub was fine and it was the amp that is leaking current and killed the sub.

How do i verify this? turn the amp on and check the outputs for voltage?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Of course it was "leaking" current.It takes current plus voltage to move that woofer.

I think what he was implying was that it was outputting DC.

Get a DMM and select the DC voltage setting and place the leads across the speaker outputs. See if there is a DC reading. If there is get a hold of Tru.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok.. another dumb question. I can do this just with the speaker outputs without hooking up any speakers or subs?

·
Registered
75 Posts
without anything hooked up, check for dc, and ac voltage. it will be highly evident if ther is some out ouf the ordinary. if tyou get a real low reading, like .3v, that's to be expected. next, hook your dmm up to see the amperage, if you don't have excessive voltage. do both with the amp on and off. if you are leaking, it will kill your battery overnight, but at least you will have pics of your tests to prove it. now, for the real story of what happened- most lilely that a tinsel lead worked a bad connection, which was still having ssome contact hot(will be hot at a bad coonection) once it cooled for a bit, it became more brittle and broke at first movement. i have seen the exact occourence a few times, and pretty much ended up in me repairing the broken tinsel lead, unless there was a warrenty in effect subs don't just blow sitting, unless it is for a real long period with elemental dmage

1 - 4 of 4 Posts