DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, sorry if this has already been discussed I tried searching but couldn't find any topics like this.

I'm trying to get the most and lowest bass out of my 02 civic using 3 12" subs ported. My current idea to get the best transfer function possible, is have my 12" subs facing the rear seat with 2 5" ports. Each port will be a chimney, one for each 6x9 hole. I haven't figured out if I'm going to seal them into the cab or just aim them at the holes from the trunk yet, that's why I wanted to ask your input.

My concern is that my 6x9 holes are 2.5" to 5.5" away from my window which is sloped up. That short distance has the possibility of acting as an extension of my port and raising the fb.. Should I worry about it? Another option is to port directly where my subs are facing but then my ports wont see open air until i fold the seats down :/ any suggestions? How would any of you go about this install? Im going for spl at 25-33hz and as much sq as possible..

Thanks for your time and input! :p

·
Registered
572 Posts
How about a bandpass configuration so you only have to worry about the port, and not the port + sub faces?

I don't think the windshield will affect the port behavior, anything past 1/2 the port diameter away will be moot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugg id have to cut my torsion bars to do my chimney :/ what if i just faced my ports to my holes instead of bringing them all the way up there? Like, have the exit of the port abot a foot away from the holes.. what kind of losses would i get

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know that this is really gonna help you, but you should know that having the ports firing into the cabin, and the woofers contained in the trunk doesn't work very well. The bandpass option is a good choice, or fire woofers and port same way, and seal the trunk off from the cabin with the box. If you're looking for more output, sealing the cab off from the trunk will decrease the cabin size. Some of the loudest trunk cars are done this way. The back seat really isn't going to block that much output; back in the day, (before crossovers were built into amps) they would use the back seat as kind of a cheap man's crossover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts