DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys probably see these posts all the time, so I'll try to keep to the point.

I've got a 2010 Subaru Legacy, and so far I've installed JBL GTO609C components in the front, and JBL GTO629's in the rear. Right now, they're powered off the head unit, but at some point I'd like to get a separate amp for them with a DSP unit.

But for now, I want to purchase a subwoofer and amp to add some low-end to the system I currently have, and I'd like to be able to keep the same subwoofer setup for when I eventually upgrade the rest of my system.

I listen to mostly Dubstep/EDM (AKA bass-heavy music), so I'm looking for something which can accurately reproduce the low frequency content in my music while also being able to play the low notes which you may not find in other types of music.

I'm looking for a 12" subwoofer, and I'm thinking about a sealed box, but I'm not particularly stuck on sealed vs ported. From why I've researched so far on SQ subs, the IDQ12 seems pretty promising, but at the same time, I've heard that ID's quality has gone down since the IDQv3 model came out. Furthermore, looking at the IDQ12v4 user manual, the sub will have an f3 of 42Hz in a sealed box, and I'd hope to find something which will play a little lower.

I'm not trying to blow anyone's ears off here -- I'd say my most important constraints are flat response and deep bass extension. My budget for the sub alone is $300. I'll be able to find a suitable amp.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I thought I'd provide as much information as possible. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
I know you guys probably see these posts all the time, so I'll try to keep to the point.

I've got a 2010 Subaru Legacy, and so far I've installed JBL GTO609C components in the front, and JBL GTO629's in the rear. Right now, they're powered off the head unit, but at some point I'd like to get a separate amp for them with a DSP unit.

But for now, I want to purchase a subwoofer and amp to add some low-end to the system I currently have, and I'd like to be able to keep the same subwoofer setup for when I eventually upgrade the rest of my system.

I listen to mostly Dubstep/EDM (AKA bass-heavy music), so I'm looking for something which can accurately reproduce the low frequency content in my music while also being able to play the low notes which you may not find in other types of music.

I'm looking for a 12" subwoofer, and I'm thinking about a sealed box, but I'm not particularly stuck on sealed vs ported. From why I've researched so far on SQ subs, the IDQ12 seems pretty promising, but at the same time, I've heard that ID's quality has gone down since the IDQv3 model came out. Furthermore, looking at the IDQ12v4 user manual, the sub will have an f3 of 42Hz in a sealed box, and I'd hope to find something which will play a little lower.

I'm not trying to blow anyone's ears off here -- I'd say my most important constraints are flat response and deep bass extension. My budget for the sub alone is $300. I'll be able to find a suitable amp.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I thought I'd provide as much information as possible. Thank you for your help.
Up your budget a little bit and grab a Stereo Integrity RM-12. They are on sale right now and i think you would be much happier with that at $350 than you wold with a IDQ12.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up your budget a little bit and grab a Stereo Integrity RM-12. They are on sale right now and i think you would be much happier with that at $350 than you wold with a IDQ12.
I assume you'd recommend a ported enclosure for this sub?

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
I assume you'd recommend a ported enclosure for this sub?

I tried it in a 1.7 cubic foot ported box and I much preferred in my 1.25 cubic foot sealed box.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried it in a 1.7 cubic foot ported box and I much preferred in my 1.25 cubic foot sealed box.

From what WinISD shows, it seems the frequency response rolls off pretty early in a sealed box. What are your experiences with the sealed box? Does it seem lacking in the low-end from what is implied from WinISD, or are your experiences different?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
From what WinISD shows, it seems the frequency response rolls off pretty early in a sealed box. What are your experiences with the sealed box? Does it seem lacking in the low-end from what is implied from WinISD, or are your experiences different?
I don't hear any roll-off in the low endand I generally love ported boxes but this particular sub for some reason sounds amazing in a sealed box. Now to be fair the ported box that I was using was kind of a crappy box and I am going to eventually try it in a different ported box but overall I think I'm going to be much happier with a sealed enclosure for this particular driver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After thinking about cabin gain, the RM-12 in a sealed box seems really promising. Do you guys have recommendations when it comes to a box? I could build my own, but I feel like it might be a little easier to get one pre-built with a finish on it already.

Also, do you know by chance how long the RM-12 sale will last? I want to do a little more research first, but I also don't want to miss out on the deal.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
After thinking about cabin gain, the RM-12 in a sealed box seems really promising. Do you guys have recommendations when it comes to a box? I could build my own, but I feel like it might be a little easier to get one pre-built with a finish on it already.

Also, do you know by chance how long the RM-12 sale will last? I want to do a little more research first, but I also don't want to miss out on the deal.
Shoot Nick a pm here or email him thru the website or facebook, he is pretty responsive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shoot Nick a pm here or email him thru the website or facebook, he is pretty responsive.
Thanks, I just emailed their sales email which is posted on their website. I'm not really sure where I could contact Nick directly.

The website recommends a 1 to 1.5 ft^3 box. If I were to purchase the following one, do you think that would suffice?

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...d-MDF-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Belva-MDFS1215.html

My main concern is that the box has a 11" opening, and the RM-12 has a cutout diameter of 11.125". I was thinking I could maybe file the opening a bit wider if need be.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Thanks, I just emailed their sales email which is posted on their website. I'm not really sure where I could contact Nick directly.

The website recommends a 1 to 1.5 ft^3 box. If I were to purchase the following one, do you think that would suffice?

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...d-MDF-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Belva-MDFS1215.html

My main concern is that the box has a 11" opening, and the RM-12 has a cutout diameter of 11.125". I was thinking I could maybe file the opening a bit wider if need be.
I think that box might be too big...could you perhaps get scap wood and cut some piece to glue inside the box to knock it down a little bit. Maybe just a 2x4 and cut some pieces to do some internal bracing against the back panel maybe to knock the size down a bit?

Don't worry about the 11" opening, that is probably perfect. I used my CNC to cut out my opening at 11.065 (11 1/16") and it wasn't even snug. Nick said that 11.125 is just so it fits.

he is just nick at stereointegrity.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
In terms of an amp, I'm looking at the following:

Soundqubed Q1-1200.2 (For 1 ohm) $240
Soundqubed S1-2250 (For 2 ohm) $250
Skar Audio RP-2000.1D (For 2 ohm) $230
Rockford Fosgate R1200-1D (For 1 ohm) $240
Wolfram - C2400.1. (For 2 ohm) $250

I'm also looking at American Bass HD/PH 2500 and the AB VFL 2680.1D

I'm hoping to get an opinion on these amps, or if you think another amp would be better suited for the RM-12

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've narrowed my choices to the Soundqubed Q1-1200.2 and the Rockford Fosgate R1200.1D. I was hoping to get some thoughts on these two in particular. They both seem to get pretty good ratings online

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm gonna be honest, I think I'm over-buying here. I'm fine paying for the RM-12 and all that, but it seems like a little more than I need.

I listened to the system in my friend's car today, and when he turned it up, it was louder than I think I'd need -- I feel like I could hear my eardrums vibrating. He had a Rockford Fosgate P3D2-10, and a Pioneer GM-A5602 from Walmart, which really isn't much, but it was loud enough for my needs. Maybe the fact that he had it in a ported box and his car is a hatchback made a difference?

I mean, its a 500W RMS sub with 82db sensitivity. That's quite a lot less of a rating than the RM-12. Like I said, I'm happy to spend what I've been planning already, but I really think it's too much for what I need it for.

Do you guys have any tips for me in terms of getting a subwoofer a bit more reasonable for my use?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check into the Dayton ultimax series on Parts Express, they're popular with the car and home audio crowds. You can get the 10 and a knock down box for it from PE for less than $300. The 12" and box for it wouldn't be much more than $300. If you think it's too much output for you lower the level on the sub amp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Check into the Dayton ultimax series on Parts Express, they're popular with the car and home audio crowds. You can get the 10 and a knock down box for it from PE for less than $300. The 12" and box for it wouldn't be much more than $300. If you think it's too much output for you lower the level on the sub amp.
They Ultimax looks pretty nice. I've definitely heard of it while looking around the internet for subwoofers. The 12" needs quite a large box (2 ft^3 recommended), but the 10" recommends 0.63 ft^3, which is a lot more reasonable.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
They Ultimax looks pretty nice. I've definitely heard of it while looking around the internet for subwoofers. The 12" needs quite a large box (2 ft^3 recommended), but the 10" recommends 0.63 ft^3, which is a lot more reasonable.
you don't need the ultimax. Check out the HO version of that sub and i think the box is .5 cuft for the 10 an .75 for the 12.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss265ho-4-10-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-462

there is also this 10 that is selling here, i think that would be a great choice too, and a small box sub.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/foru...l-audio-10tw3-d4-2-10-shallow-mount-subs.html

Reactions: jtvd78

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
In terms of an amp, I'm looking at the following:

Soundqubed Q1-1200.2 (For 1 ohm) $240
Soundqubed S1-2250 (For 2 ohm) $250
Skar Audio RP-2000.1D (For 2 ohm) $230
Rockford Fosgate R1200-1D (For 1 ohm) $240
Wolfram - C2400.1. (For 2 ohm) $250

I'm also looking at American Bass HD/PH 2500 and the AB VFL 2680.1D

I'm hoping to get an opinion on these amps, or if you think another amp would be better suited for the RM-12

Thanks
Look at the JBL GTR-1001. It can be had for $180 right now. 700w @ 4ohms, 1000w @ 2ohms.

The Pioneer GM-D9601 can be had for $130 from Best Buy. 500w @ 4 ohms, 800w @ 2 ohms.

Also, judging solely from what I've read, I don't think the build quality from Image Dynamics has gone down really. It seems more like the v4 subs just aren't quite as good for pure SQ as the v3 was. The ID series still seems to be a very popular budget SQ-oriented sub recommendation, though.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'm gonna be honest, I think I'm over-buying here. I'm fine paying for the RM-12 and all that, but it seems like a little more than I need.

I listened to the system in my friend's car today, and when he turned it up, it was louder than I think I'd need -- I feel like I could hear my eardrums vibrating. He had a Rockford Fosgate P3D2-10, and a Pioneer GM-A5602 from Walmart, which really isn't much, but it was loud enough for my needs. Maybe the fact that he had it in a ported box and his car is a hatchback made a difference?

I mean, its a 500W RMS sub with 82db sensitivity. That's quite a lot less of a rating than the RM-12. Like I said, I'm happy to spend what I've been planning already, but I really think it's too much for what I need it for.

Do you guys have any tips for me in terms of getting a subwoofer a bit more reasonable for my use?
Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. My .02

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I also vote Dayton HO DVC with this knock down cabinet if you’re up to putting that together yourself. Get an amplifier that puts out about 125% of the max recommended RMS power for the subwoofer you choose. All of the amplifiers listed so far in this thread should be fine. There isn’t much difference in terms of sound from them.

You also might want something a little more plug and play like
Code:
this. I have this one and it sounds good in the right vehicle like my CX5 but not my Sienna Van due to cabin gain and vehicle size.

Another good option is the Alpine SWS 10 in a 1 cubic foot net volume (after sub) ported box. I have this in my van and it’s very good especially at the price point. This box is just ok for it but if you can get one made with a 35 Hz tune and 3/4” material on the sides with 1.5” material on the front than it would be noticeably better sounding. If you lived near me I’d give you a box I originally used for my Alpine SWS 10 that I know sounds good. It was my original test box that I ended up keeping for over a year because it sounded great. :D

A couple things make or break how good a subwoofer sounds and they are:

1. The box construction, size, and if ported tuning frequency itself depending on driver chosen. Cheap boxes such as that NVX one you listed might have too much box resonance due to thin materials and poor joint design. Most all prefab boxes are crap by comparison.
  2. The placement within the vehicles due to the shape of the vehicle and distance from your ears relative to the front drivers. This you will have to experiment with by trying different locations within the vehicle.
  3. Cabin gain from the vehicle depending on type and is related to #2.
  4. Having enough power on tape to avoid clipping the amplifier. Sub frequencies require large drivers and a lot of power relative to the other frequencies. This is one reason why I recommend a larger than required amplifier and if set up properly won’t hurt the subwoofer.
  5. Sealed vs ported and this comes down to personal preference and the type of music you listen too. Both have pros and cons and you can’t have it all.

Reactions: jtvd78
1 - 20 of 23 Posts