DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading A TON about the JBL MS-8 and am seriously thinking about picking one up here in a couple weeks in order to get the great sound I seem to only hear about on this site.

I've read a lot about the MS-8 but still have se questions about setting it up.
In the front I have purchased a set of PPI 6.5" components that I can run passively off the included crossovers. That's easy. They will be run by an elemental designs NINe.2. This amp puts out [email protected] RMS.

I also have 2 subs running off an eD NINe.1. They are a single channel and getting [email protected]

My question comes when I put the MS-8 in the mix...

I read that only the front outputs from my HU are used for the MS-8. I do like messing with the subs through the HU, but not a big deal if the MS-8 takes cares of that, and lets me mess with the subs myself.

If I leave the PPI comps as is, will the front left and right channels be set up as full range, since the crossover is doing the filtering? Or can I buy a set of Dayton RS180s and put those on the NINe.2, and then run some separate tweets off the MS-8 amp? That way I can use the steep crossovers provided with the MS-8. (Also, will the RS180s fit in a 6.5" opening??)

I obviously still have NO idea what components I want to use in the Tahoe. I first looked at the separate Dayton/Vifa combination, but was sorta scared off due to the active crossover requirement. Using the MS-8 would essentially be my active crossover, correct??

I am liking the MS-8 more and more, and am slowly getting more comfortable about losing some of the features that my HU has in order to get a great sounding system. This forum has been so much help for me! I've been out of the car audio game an awfully long time! Thanks for any help with this!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The ms8 only takes the front signal - But it takes that and processes it for subs as well as everything else. Basically two channels in, 8 out.

I have the dayton rs180s and I like them a lot, but they are just a tad bigger than 6.5". I've been told the peerless SLS 6.5" is far superior...

Ditch the passive crossover and let the ms8 do your active crossover. You will be much happier and you can customize slopes, xover points, etc...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been reading A TON about the JBL MS-8 and am seriously thinking about picking one up here in a couple weeks in order to get the great sound I seem to only hear about on this site.

I've read a lot about the MS-8 but still have se questions about setting it up.
In the front I have purchased a set of PPI 6.5" components that I can run passively off the included crossovers. That's easy. They will be run by an elemental designs NINe.2. This amp puts out [email protected] RMS.

I also have 2 subs running off an eD NINe.1. They are a single channel and getting [email protected]

My question comes when I put the MS-8 in the mix...

I read that only the front outputs from my HU are used for the MS-8. I do like messing with the subs through the HU, but not a big deal if the MS-8 takes cares of that, and lets me mess with the subs myself.

If I leave the PPI comps as is, will the front left and right channels be set up as full range, since the crossover is doing the filtering? Or can I buy a set of Dayton RS180s and put those on the NINe.2, and then run some separate tweets off the MS-8 amp? That way I can use the steep crossovers provided with the MS-8. (Also, will the RS180s fit in a 6.5" opening??)

I obviously still have NO idea what components I want to use in the Tahoe. I first looked at the separate Dayton/Vifa combination, but was sorta scared off due to the active crossover requirement. Using the MS-8 would essentially be my active crossover, correct??

I am liking the MS-8 more and more, and am slowly getting more comfortable about losing some of the features that my HU has in order to get a great sounding system. This forum has been so much help for me! I've been out of the car audio game an awfully long time! Thanks for any help with this!!
I kind of feel like you need to come up with more of a plan before taking the plunge on a ms8. The ms8 is a great unit but if you did a workaround on the sub and only ran a two way passive set up front, you are wasting alot of its potential. maybe look at the ms2 instead?

The ms8 only takes the front signal - But it takes that and processes it for subs as well as everything else. Basically two channels in, 8 out.

I have the dayton rs180s and I like them a lot, but they are just a tad bigger than 6.5". I've been told the peerless SLS 6.5" is far superior...

Ditch the passive crossover and let the ms8 do your active crossover. You will be much happier and you can customize slopes, xover points, etc...
Look at the response graph for the peerless sls on madisound. The dayton is a far better choice in a two way with tweeter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kind of feel like you need to come up with more of a plan before taking the plunge on a ms8. The ms8 is a great unit but if you did a workaround on the sub and only ran a two way passive set up front, you are wasting alot of its potential. maybe look at the ms2 instead?

Look at the response graph for the peerless sls on madisound. The dayton is a far better choice in a two way with tweeter.
What do you mean? I am leaning towards the Dayton's with a tweeter up front and running them active from the MS8.

I'll probably throw the PPIs in the back for the passengers and kill them when it's just me.

What other features can I utilize on the MS8 that I have overlooked?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the biggest one is the L7 and center channel processing...
Perhaps I can rig up a center channel in the Tahoe. It's an 03 so it's before the stock center channel.

Maybe it's something that's too much for now. But maybe I can buy the necessary components to make it worthwhile. Then I can tear it out and put it in my next ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts