DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want my cigarette lighter to no longer provide 12v. I want it to house a switch attached to the same terminals. Has anyone ever seen a switch that plugs in to a cigarette lighter? I can't imagine they make one, because what it would do is short the damned 12v supply, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So I want my cigarette lighter to no longer provide 12v. I want it to house a switch attached to the same terminals. Has anyone ever seen a switch that plugs in to a cigarette lighter? I can't imagine they make one, because what it would do is short the damned 12v supply, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
I'm a little confused about the question but if you have a toggle switch with a 12v input and the output is ground then you will most definitely short it whenever you switch it on. What are you trying to do?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I unplugged the 12v & ground pigtail to the cig lighter. I'm replacing that input with a wire hooked up to the "on" switch of my computer. So "shorting" the cig lighter will serve as the on signal for the computer. I'd like to install a switch in the cig lighter hole for the purpose.

Basically, I'm trying to avoid hot gluing a toggle switch to my dash, you know?

But, since such an animal probably doesn't exist, I'm probably stuck having to fabricate something. Which annoys the **** out of me because I want to spend a maximum of about 20 seconds on this.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah. I unplugged the 12v & ground pigtail to the cig lighter. I'm replacing that input with a wire hooked up to the "on" switch of my computer. So "shorting" the cig lighter will serve as the on signal for the computer. I'd like to install a switch in the cig lighter hole for the purpose.

Basically, I'm trying to avoid hot gluing a toggle switch to my dash, you know?

But, since such an animal probably doesn't exist, I'm probably stuck having to fabricate something. Which annoys the **** out of me because I want to spend a maximum of about 20 seconds on this.
I would just leave the cig lighter alone and add a small toggle switch somewhere. They make some really small ones that are hardly noticable :)
something like this http://www.moddersmart.com/en/small-toggle-switch.html

·
Registered
240 Posts
If it is simple to disect, you could hollow out the bottom of the cig lighter barrel and install a small push button at the base. Then either set it so the end of the cig. lighter pushes the on off button, or glue the cut off end of a donor cig. lighter to the end of the push button switch.

Of course measuring that the lighter end sat in about the location of the original lighter at rest. This would give a nice stealth appearance.

Maybe you could use something like one of these: http://www.moddersmart.com/en/switches/vandal-resistant.html ....of course they are out of stock on most.
Mount it in place of the lighter or something???? Would be low profile and not really draw attention.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I think what I'm going to do is get an actual cig lighter to stick in the socket. [My car actually doesn't come with one] Then I guess I can short the element and, voila, a switch. Is that how the elements work? Just a coil of some sort? The push-in thingy is the switch itself.

Now I just need a..."stylish" one.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
LOL, all you need to do is use the 2 wires for the cigarette lighter plug as your 2 switch leads (one input, one output). As long as the housing isn't grounded it's that simple. the cigarette lighter completes the circuit when it's pushed in, pull it back out to disconnect- it won't pop out on its own because it won't be getting hot without positive on one side and ground on the other.

I used to do this with my amp turn-on wire, it was like a valet switch. I just had the lighter wires in series with my turn-on wire. It would work normally all the time as long as I left the plug in, but I could pull the lighter and take it with me if the car was getting worked on or getting valet parked to prevent people from playing the stereo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is an alternative - look at the round ones on this page, or they have the round style with a square bezel:

Switches - Rocker | AllElectronics.com

I used a couple similar that I found on ebay on the cheap. They might work in the hole if you can find one the right size. I think they show .75" and .98" for a couple of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts