DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Circuit breaker questions

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  9mmmac 
#1 ·
May be a silly question, but here it goes.

I will be doing the big three install and instead of fuses I will be adding circuit breakers. I would like to know if a circuit breaker is directional.

The CB has two connections, Bat and Aux. Now, if your connecting the circuit CB across the alternator and battery, is the alternator the Aux connection or the battery.

I know that CB's work on heat, so would I be correct to assume that I could connect the battery to the Bat terminal or ?

Thanks for your help.

#3 ·
For your big 3 upgrade, you don't NEED to add fuses anywhere. Why do you think the wires need any extra protection? The biggest danger is usually the alt > batt. wire falling into the cooling fan or melting across a hot exhaust header. Follow the factory wiring and use lots of zipties and you'll be fine.

Now, if you're talking about the power wire that lead aft to supply your amp rack. distro block, then yeah, you need some sort of protection. I like CB's over a fuse 'cuz they allow you to cut power to the system if you wanna futz around with changing the configuration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.