DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mostly frequent the Old school section of this site, but wanted to do something for to help others when they had some Questions, concerns or comments on Clarion. For that reason and a few others, I post this here in the General section. I hope that ANYONE, either here or via Google, when they do a search for Clarion when in need of help or whatever the reason, they'll find this to make it easier. I've had quit a few people find me here, sign up and PM about Clarion and a couple for OS LANZAR.

We don't, and I can see why, have a section for every manufacturer on this site. So I'm also doing this post for that reason. I'll bump it about once a week IF I don't have any legit posts or updates to make.

For those that know me, they know I'm a Clarion collector/freak as well as early/mid 90's LANZAR stuff and ALL years of Phoenix Gold.

I consider myself one of the most knowledgeable about the Clarion products from ~'92 to present. I've been into car audio since '93 and Clarion has been at the top of my list from the start along with LANZAR and PG.

I just bought a Clarion CZ702 to hold me over until I get the NX702. I couldn't pass up the price of $145 nib w/dealer warranty.

Other then the 9255 models and the foreign models, I've had, used/played with or own just about every model from '93. I own about 27 Clarion HU, 10 amps, 3 subs, 7 speakers/comps, 12 DSPs and 7 CD changers. That's just the Clarion portion.

Please feel free to post your Clarion items/pieces here as well as any Questions you might have about Clarion.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My first update has to do with Clarion CZ702.

5 band parametric EQ (a very powerful tool), and a pretty flexible crossover section.
The options are the same for the NX702 as they are for this deck.

2 way: Front, Rear & Sub
3 way 1: Front tweet, Front mid & rear (as a whole)
3 way 2: Front tweet, Front mid and Sub

The sub can even be bandpassed for a SSF on the sub.

It arrived today, but it'll be the weekend before I get it installed.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry man, I forgot all about that, but I saw were you sold them/it anyway. I'm not sure off hand what year they are. The wife is asleep right now and that's were I keep the brochures.

To update the CZ702,
This is a sweet ass HU. Thus far, my ONLY gripe is the USB read file. Or HOW it reads and displays them to you. You don't get to see the folders. I have a 32G USB with all my music on it, but you can't scroll the folders to select the one you want. You just push the button folder up/folder down to switch folders. When you have over 200 albums, it sucks ass trying to find the album/folder you want.

I'm not to worried about it though as I'm sure the Clarion NX702, which I'll get later this year, will display the folders and that you can browse through them in the manner you need. I believe that there isn't enough room in the display to show/browse the folders.

iPod works great, no issues.

Bluetooth connects right away with my phone and the audio isn't all that bad streamed that way. Phone calls sound OK, but as with most hands free devices, to the person on the other end has a harder time hearing you.

I haven't tried the 3.5mm AUX jack in the front yet. That'll be this weekend.

The Xover is very flexible and the TA has helped improve my soundstage due to the crappy speaker locations I have, though they're not all that bad really.

5 band parametric eq is very powerful and was just enough to smooth out my freq resp.

Over all, a great value, esp when you consider the price point of this HU, It's going to be hard to beat. I'll get some pics up of it over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
What do you know about a clarion apa 2150g? I have 2 of them and had the big matching 4 channel but already sold it. Are they worth much? I would like to sell or trade them off. I don't need them. They are in decent shape and work perfectly. I need to get a 3 way capable deck with high, mid, sub crossovers that is pretty simple for my father in laws truck. He doesn't like complicated. Let me know if you have any thoughts about them. Thanks

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys,
Bill, eBay of course.
Hated to do it, as I'd rather go to our local dealer.

Aj,
Those amps are the last of their, what I call top tier amps. Not that what's after is bad, because it's not. The 4200G and 4400G are sweet. If you would've had one of those, I'd be offering to buy it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update,

This just showed up today. I bought this more for the carrying case then the HU. This dates to 1986. The HU is missing the mounting sleeve and the parts vender states, available, but out of stock????

·
Registered
213 Posts
What about the 4-channel Clarion amp from 5-10 years ago that was really high-end with a gold or bronze heatsink. I always wanted to try one out.

Clarion in the 90's produced some really good headunits. I really liked my HX-D10 and only got rid of it due to the lack of time alignment. If I remember correctly, my 7500z had fixed settings and length could not be adjusted.

I still really like the displays from the late 90's with their bright colors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Those amps are the last of their, what I call top tier amps. Not that what's after is bad, because it's not. The 4200G and 4400G are sweet. If you would've had one of those, I'd be offering to buy it.
Hi smgreen,

Not sure if you remember me, I'm one of the many people that have pm'd you regarding old school Clarion gear.
I bought a Clarion APA4400,but it turned out being far too big to install under my seat, so it ended up going unused. You have such a passion for old school Clarion that if you lived locally I'd give it to you,cause I hate the thought of it going to waste!

Thanks again for all the help you provided me getting info on this amp, particularly the connection these have to McIntosh

Jamie

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Man I'm slipping, thanks for that link. Those 2 units are not compatible, but that wouldn't stop me.

The bronze colored amp is the APA4300 HX. Never seen one in person, would love to though. I've been offered 3 of them, but as a set only and I didn't have enough for the trio, barley one. It's the number one amp in my want list, followed by an earthquake PA-4300.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Anyone know what the part number is for the period correct remote for a 6770? I've found a few listings for replacements but they don't seem to look like what would have actually been included or optional for it in 93.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts