DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

It appears that my DRZ is going to need repair and I wondered if anyone knew of a good place to have it sent to. :mad:

All of a sudden the right front midwoofer stopped working and after checking the wiring in various ways, I've come to the conclusion that the problem lies either in the output wire from the head unit or somewhere in the inside of the system. I'll pull it out in the next couple of days and check the internal wiring to that channel and I pray that is what it is, but sadly I have to face the strong possibility that it will be more than that.

I thought I'd heard of internal fuses inside the DRZ, but I can't imagine that there would be one fuse per output channel, so I don't think I'll find the problem there - but if anyone knows about internal fuses, please drop me a line with whatever you know. Also, if anyone else has had an output channel go bad on a DRZ - your input would also be appreciated.

The one other thing I plan to try is to change the output settings from the setting for a 4way front stage to the one that bypasses the internal crossover and only gives front rear and sub... if the outputs work then, I'll know for certain that its internal.

Thanks in advance =)
Less

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Just out of curiosity, was it new, used, or refurb when you bought it?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No one has had a DRZ repaired before? I suppose I can look through authorized Clarion repair places and take my chances, but I'd sure prefer to send it somewhere that has a good reputation with at least someone on here =)

BTW - it is a refurb unit, but its worked perfectly for almost 2 years (iirc) and was in brand new condition.

I've really grown to love this head unit although I don't like the looks that much. Its one of the few that will deal with my media player well and has decent quality internal processing/ta/para eq/etc. If I can't get it repaired, I've even thought of just going with a bit one and just run my media player and ipod (for audio books and some video) directly into it, bypassing the whole head unit concept entirely.

Anyhow - let me know please and thanks!
Less/Jim

·
Registered
539 Posts
it has been covered before, and 6spdcoupe has recommended a place he uses to get clarion repaired. Just do a search here for it or PM Don.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Lifetimeservice.com is an authorized Clarion repair center... Lifetime Service Center - Manufacturers

I used to work there long ago.... Good people... I called last year looking for a part for my Pio DEX-M88 and the parts guy REMEMBERED me, he still worked there obviously, but yeah, he remembered me.. lol...

Give them a call and see if you can speak to the parts guy and ask them if they have the service manual for it (i'm sure they do) maybe talk to a repair manager and see if they do them ever... ?

Again, good people, good turn around times, decent prices (all of my info is dated, though)..

Something to consider..

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much.

I discovered the problem and i suspect it will require the replacement of one of the two circuit boards in the unit - the quite small one which appears to be the output preamplifier portion. The copper tracing from the board is actually uncovered and warped down one reasonably wide part - perhaps it got hot... there are a couple slightly discolored spots near two diode on the board and one on the other adjacent board.

I'm considering buying someone's old parts only DRZ and trying a straight swap out but I will definitely call a tech with some experience first.

Thank you both very much for useful answers - sorry my search did not turn anything up! Man - it hurts looking at your baby and knowing its damaged =( I've really taken a liking to the DRZ and appreciate its nice combination of abilities without the need for an outboard processor (at least in my case).

Less

Less

1 - 7 of 7 Posts