DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking forever trying to find out if the Clarion DRZ9255 playes mp3s, does anyone know???

My dealer doesnt know, and he can't find anything on the spec sheet that relates to mp3s.... And it's not stated on the website...

Thanks

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, thx.

so how does the top of the line eclipse compare to the clarion drz9255 in terms of sonic quality, and tunabillity for DIY setups....

i currently have a nak cd400 with 0 options and i'm going active as soon as my w18nx speakers arrive... need suggestions on a good headunit that's not alpine.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Clarion, all the way... the 5 xtra bands of EQ on the Eclipse are nice, but in my experience I hardly ever use alot of EQ...

My truck I have set Flat all 5 still available... the Saturn 3 bands out of 13 available

·
Registered
757 Posts
Besides the main EQ you might set when first tuning a system to flatten the response, I would rarely use anything other than a quick 3 band for on the fly adjustments to some tunes.........

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but the clarion is 2x the cost of the eclipse

and the eclipse has alot more features such as mp3, map, ... etc

but the clarion is hardcore 24 bit dac, no onboard amp, external processing unit....

is the eclipse good enough??

I'm running TN52 Tweeters, on Seas W18NX, w/ Seas Lotus 12" sub, on 2 Diamond D7's (D7056 and D7152)

I do NOT want to go the alpine route with the H701.... Nore do i want to deal with the hassle of having equalizer boards in teh trunk...

·
Registered
757 Posts
can the DRZ9255 adjust time alignment on individual speakers in a 3-way system?

I like this H/U, but I don't want to give up a whole lot in the way of adjustment. The Alpine H701 with an alpine H/U would give some great adjustability features, but if this H/U can come close in an all-in-one package, I like the idea of simplicity............

·
Registered
103 Posts
With the Alpine combo, you are paying for a lot of features, but do you really need all of that? I dont know why so many people think they need something like a 13band eq for a 2-way. If I had to choose, and i had the money, I would take the Clarion hands down over the Eclipse. It looks nicer too.

You see these?
Review of ClarionDRZ9255 on ECA tech clinic

Review of Alpine H700 on ECA tech clinic

btw, the H700 is the same as the H701.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Casedot said:
With the Alpine combo, you are paying for a lot of features, but do you really need all of that? I dont know why so many people think they need something like a 13band eq for a 2-way. If I had to choose, and i had the money, I would take the Clarion hands down over the Eclipse. It looks nicer too.

You see these?
Review of ClarionDRZ9255 on ECA tech clinic

Review of Alpine H700 on ECA tech clinic

btw, the H700 is the same as the H701.
Yeah the Clarion is a nice piece. But how nice it is doesn't overshadow its pitfalls. The Eclipse will out tune a clarion in 3way active with 5band peq on each pair of drivers and at least 24 db slopes.

I simply kept my Eclipse to run 4way active and added an analog xover on the front channels. Still way shy of the cost of a drz, it still more flexible tuning wise as long as I keep 2 of the drivers equal pathlengths- which is the case anyhow with tweets/midranges.

Prob with a 5 band PEQ on an active DIY setup (specially 4way) is that you throw a band on 50hz, and say 100hz for door panel resonance and you are left with 3 bands to tune the rest of the audible spectrum that needs lots of attention in a car. The critical midrange and tweeter peak/reflection alone would take up 5 bands in my car...

On top of all that I can play mp3's/sat.

I just wished they had spent a little more focus on the DSP/Tuning aspect of the DRZ. The only 4way active xover deck on the market, but put shyt for an EQ to tune it. If this deck had at least a few more bands I would've been running one some time ago.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with the eq frequency limits of the Eclipse units? 63-16k seems a bit limited. For example, if I get a tweet that rolls off after 16k, I would be out of luck with the eclipse decks, right? Why can't Clarion and Eclipse give the 20-20k range?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
ATB said:
Has anyone had any problems with the eq frequency limits of the Eclipse units? 63-16k seems a bit limited. For example, if I get a tweet that rolls off after 16k, I would be out of luck with the eclipse decks, right? Why can't Clarion and Eclipse give the 20-20k range?
yup the limits of eclipse are you cannot tune sub 63hz certer freq nor the sub in promode...

Still waiting for the perfect deck- but that will never come.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you need to take car of door resonance, use deadener instead of an eq band. I agree with you though on the Clarion's eq. A little more flexibility and it would be hard to beat, but depending on what you are running or how everything is installed, you might not even need 5 bands.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am going to rehash this with my first post on this forum, I have an alpine 701 set up. The Brain is starting to fail and I am looking at moving away from Alpine in to the Clarion. After having my 701, am I going to feel frustrated with the ability of the Clarion DRZ9255 Unit?

What about the F1 status from Alpine?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am going to rehash this with my first post on this forum, I have an alpine 701 set up. The Brain is starting to fail and I am looking at moving away from Alpine in to the Clarion. After having my 701 that is have enjoyed all of the tuning flexability and I going to feel frustrated with the ability of the Clarion DRZ9255 Unit?

What about the F1 status from Alpine?
Here are a couple sticking points on the DRZ9255 that I see some having trouble with (including myself)
*5band PEQ - adequate for a Daily Driver, but some have used it as a competition HU.
*Mid / low crossovers - lowpass/highpass @ 200Hz - makes using the DRZ as a 3way while you figure your drivers out a PEQ heavy area :)
*No L/R independent XO - not a big deal, just not a feature.
*You can play MP3s through the DRZ, just in 2 different ways - through an AUX in, or a CD changer passed through optical/CeNet.

Can anyone else point out the possible annoyances / differences when switching from a H701 to a DRZ9255 ?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Here are a couple sticking points on the DRZ9255 that I see some having trouble with (including myself)
*5band PEQ - adequate for a Daily Driver, but some have used it as a competition HU.
*Mid / low crossovers - lowpass/highpass @ 200Hz - makes using the DRZ as a 3way while you figure your drivers out a PEQ heavy area :)
*You can play MP3s through the DRZ, just in 2 different ways - through an AUX in, or a CD changer passed through optical/CeNet.

Can anyone else point out the possible annoyances / differences when switching from a H701 to a DRZ9255 ?
?

http://www.mbd-indo.com/Product/McIntosh/Mx5000/Mx5000.html

·
Registered
380 Posts

These are good points, I have never used the separate L/R Crossover feature before, never had to, I do enjoy haveing the option of a full Graphic 31 bad eq as well as Peq. THe 701 has 7 Peq settings, the clarion has 5, I only use 3 currently in my 701 set up. the rest are flat.
I don't play mp3's because the loss of SQ annoys me (on low bit ones). But an Ipod input is a must for longer trips!

Thanks Genpac for pointing out the big ones!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts