DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for some of you with a little experience with this unit. I put it in today and i made the mistake of selecting 2-way for the sound mode. I need to know how to switch it back to normal.

I read through the manual and it says to select system check and that will let you change it but i cant find that anywhere in the menu.

If anybody can help me that would be great

·
Registered
751 Posts
You can hit the reset button under the faceplate (remove the face)... Use a paper clip or whatever... it's in the lower bottom right area... You should be able to differenciate it from the other screw holes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will go try that. Thank You!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That worked. Thank you

·
Registered
751 Posts
Actually, to access the "System Check" feature (the way the manual tells you to change from norm/2way/3way) you hold the "Option/adjust" button down (top left on face) for 2 seconds... then slide to the "system check", then press enter...

I just found this while I was adjusting the clock and color scheme today... I find that the green or white display was better for me to read...

Also, another funny thing is the "Amplifier Cancel" option... If you are running an external amp for ALL of your channels, then this needs to be toggled to the "ON" position -thereby turning off or canceling the internal HU amp.

The "music note" button accesses your xovers, and slopes, as well as sub volume, etc... you press it once fast to access one menu... You hold it down for 2 seconds to access the other... (this confused me for awhile)

·
Registered
172 Posts
USB can read subfolders just fine. My only gripe on this unit is no USB search function so you are stuck scrolling through folders one at a time. I have 400+ right now. What makes it worse is that you can't do it from the remote, thankfully I have long arms. I'm running a 250gb hard drive on mine and as of yet it recognizes all my folders and files just fine though it takes about 30 seconds to finish finding all the folders when you first start it up.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
So it sees subfolders and puts em all in one flat list? I hate that....
I like if you can browse subfolders like so : Genre\artists\album\songs

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ziggy, about that AMP cancel, I've been trying to figure out if its possible to run everything from external amps but to have a set of "Super tweeters" running off of one of the internal amp channels and be able to control the gain and other settings for that internal amp channel while running in 2 or 3 way mode.

Do you have any idea if that is possible? I would experiment with it but I dont have my system put together yet.

I have also found that the "White" is the easiest color to read during the daytime.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Internal amp is controlled by the same settings as external outputs. So if you want to run your tweeters from the internal amp you'll have to add an L-pad or some other way of controlling the level not to mention a higher xover point. Just get some passive xovers with attenuation jumpers like the CDT upstage kits.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That is exactly what I wanted to know.

The thing is that I DO have the entire upstage kit with the Lpad and the passives which both work great but my vehcle is a two seater convertible and I want to keep it as simple as possible so I was looking for an option that would allow me to leave out the Lpad(to many wires) and passives.

I was considering a small 4 channel tweeter amp being fed by the high output of the HU. 2 channels feeding the main tweets and the other 2 feeding the CDTs with the XO set high and the gain very low. Does this sound doable?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm glad that got answered... But, you guys are getting complicated... I'm watching.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It'd be preferable to just split your front outputs with a y-adapter and run one of the split sets into your tweeter amp. The only way I'd even consider messing with the high outputs is if you actually wanted to use them to drive your tweeters directly. If you're going to run the tweeters on a separate amp I'd just go with the splitting the rca's option. I'll be doing this soon to run my front/rear outputs split to a pair of 4 channel Kenwood KAC-X4R's and use the DSP in the amps for my T/A and Xovers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't use the HU's amp for anything, except basic car install.

You can get much better SQ (and tweeters are the most sensitive component) from good external amps.

HU amps are, for me, pretty much useless.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree about preferring NOT to use the internal amp. I have been searching for a very small 4 channel tweeter amp. I would like to install it either in or behind my glovebox so the smaller the better.

Maybe I'm being stupid not just using the entire upstage kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't use the HU's amp for anything, except basic car install.

You can get much better SQ (and tweeters are the most sensitive component) from good external amps.

HU amps are, for me, pretty much useless.
Wouldn't say this. With a good crossover for the tweeter you can use the internal amp of the radio. Ok, the sound level wil not be as high as with additional amps. I think the internal amps of good car-hifi-radios are better than most people think. Just test it. :) Even if there is little place available.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My problem is that although i have most of the components of my system, I have not installed most of it so I am a week or two away from being able to test all this. Being able to play around with everything sure will answer many questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, does it need to be a 4-channel amp? Just take a look for an Audio Art 140.4. Or (if 2 channels are enough) an Audio Art 70.2. They are relatively small.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts