DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you rate this head unit, I currently use a Alpine CDA-9835 which has 105db Signal to Noise and the Clarion is 87db... will it be a big difference, which would be better - keep the 9835 or get the clarion?

The clarion has a 6v preout and has 24 dac, but the Alpine has 4v preout with a 1 bit dac... does that make a significant difference?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went from an Eclipse to this unit in part because I could get the lights to amber.
I kept it one day, it sounded ok, but my Eclipse sounded better to me, I took it back and upgraded my Eclipse to the 3200 for 1 car, and the 7200mkii for the other.

The Clarion (at least the 785usb) sounded harsh to me, not warm.

YMMV

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would have gotten the 7200mk II, only if the usb would be a direct connect to an ipod...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I went from an Eclipse to this unit in part because I could get the lights to amber.
I kept it one day, it sounded ok, but my Eclipse sounded better to me, I took it back and upgraded my Eclipse to the 3200 for 1 car, and the 7200mkii for the other.

YMMV
Which eclipse did you switch out? i'm curious because i swapped from the venerable CD8053 to the clarion and felt it sounded just as good.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Which eclipse did you switch out? i'm curious because i swapped from the venerable CD8053 to the clarion and felt it sounded just as good.
Thanks Kappa, good to know as Eclipse has been my go to choice for good sound, but I took a shot on the Clarion...which is waiting for the right car to present itself.

·
Registered
92 Posts

YMMV
What kind of speakers?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have this head unit, and it sounds great. There are plenty of option and crossovers to keep you busy and there is an input for everything. My two concerns about it are that it is hard to see in direct sunlight(too much glare), and it won't read off my usb hard drive properly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had the Eclipse cd8053 for 5 years and then replaced that with the Clarion DXZ785USB. I feel the Clarion sounds better. It also had much more DSP options available which can make MP3/WMA files sounds better. I like the the Eclipse's dials better and the fact that it had balanced outputs which I "had" feeding straight to my Zapcos.

I still have my same front stage but different amps, (some cheap but great sounding JVCs). My speakers have been Seas Excels and Scan Speak 9700 for 10 years.

As far as the Clarion is concerned the layout is very intuitive and I have mine working fine with a 500GB hard drive. I had the hard drive lock up on me just once but other than that, it just works like the worlds biggest CD changer. When it did lock up, all I did was rotate through the sources and it picked up where it left off. Your milage may vary depending on the hard drive you get though. I have yet to stack 90% of the hard drive though. It's also cool that it has a detachable face which I need in my area. My previous setup had gotten stolen except for the front speakers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't read much good about that particular set of comps, although I believe I did read they were better in the past.

I messed around with the Clarion some more the other night and I was hella impressed. I need to do a little bit of fabrication before I can put my speakers in, but I'm running Mach 5 MLI-65s and LPG26NAFMs off my Alpine PDX 4.100. Can't believe people say the PDX lacks in the midbass frequencies LOL.

Anyway, I set my gains at their lowest level and that seemed to match up almost well enough with the HU. Those pre-outs really are that strong. I didn't like how the LPG sounded off-axis, so I tried it on-axis. It was certainly an improvement over the off-axis aiming. I was kinda disappointed at first because it was sounding a little harsh and I read this was a pretty smooth tweeter if crossed over properly. I tried crossing it a 4000 Hz with a -6db slope. That seemed to blend pretty well with the woofer, but it wasn't quite dialed in yet. Thankfully, this HU has independent gain control for every speaker. I dropped the gain a few levels on the LPG and that made it much more pleasant to my ear. That alone was REALLY helpful, because my gain on the PDX was already all the way down.

This was my first time trying active crossovers and I'm really glad this deck was such a bargain. Even adjusting something like the slope can dramatically change a speaker's sound. I almost kinda wish I could do a 4-way setup because I think the LPG was sounding really nice crossed over around 6000 Hz.

I popped in a flash drive to try out the USB and I really dug it. Quick read time for sure. Navigation was very simple with the slider things. SQ seemed alright, nothing I'd complain about.

I don't think I'll mess with the T/A too much, but it's nice to have.

Now, to just finish up some easy fabrication and get some money together for an SSA DCON. =D

Very nice deck, definitely an 8.5/10, maybe even 9/10 when considering it was as low as $117 shipped NEW and its wealth of features. I did not use any of the sound enhancement stuff and I was very pleased with the sound I was getting. For the money, it CANNOT be beat.

P.S. I think the Clarion is supposed to have a neutral sound, not warm or harsh. I may be wrong, so feel free to correct that. =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts