DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,400 Posts
Correct on all accounts.

See, I see the influx of full range class D amps creating homeostasis in the world. Those power hungry space heater class A amps that I love are being balanced out with small efficient class D amps.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Nothing like coming home on a cold winter day and firing up a Levinson 20.6;)
(or 2)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I seem to remember my Bryston 4B at home was rated at 800w of power output, and over 1100w of heat output :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If I ever find a Genesis DMA for an affordable price, I'm getting it. 20w full class A, then it switches to class G.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^^^^^ :)

Rated Power Class A mode: 4ohm 2 x 20 WRMS
2ohm 2 x 10 W RMS
Typical Power Class A Mode: 4ohm 2 x 26 WRMS
2ohm 2 x 13 W RMS

Typical Power Class G Mode: 4ohm 2 x 150 WRMS
2ohm 2 x 250 W RMS
1.5ohm 2 x 300 W RMS
4ohm 1 x 500W RMS
3ohm 1 x 600WRMS

S/N : > 115dB A Wtd Ref full output
Input : 0.3 - 4.0 Volts RMS
Crossovers: High pass <20 Hz - 200Hz Fully variable
Lowpass, 50 Hz - 200Hz Fully variable
Filter slope: 12dB / octave ( 2nd order butterworth )
Fuse: 4 x 20 Amps
Size: 450 x 210 x 62

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It's not a full class A, but it's a hotter bias than any other amp that I know of that isn't full class A--and there are only a handful of those.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are class a amplifiers linear ?

quote>
A linear amplifier responds to different frequency components independently, and does not generate harmonic distortion or intermodulation distortion. A nonlinear amplifier does generate distortion.
quote>

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
How to tell?

It's huge, gets hot, is expensive and the marketing material includes words like "passion", "pristine", "clarity", "transparency" but doesn't include the most relevant words like "irrelevant", "wasteful", "unnecessary" and "outdated".

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
How to tell?

It's huge, gets hot, is expensive and the marketing material includes words like "passion", "pristine", "clarity", "transparency" but doesn't include the most relevant words like "irrelevant", "wasteful", "unnecessary" and "outdated".
WIN!!1!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Who cares if it's pure class A or not? Does it sound good? Are you happy with it and the money you paid for it? That's all there is to know. All the rest is purely marketing and consumerism.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to polish my DMA. :D

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Typically a class-A amp will be easy to spot because it will look like a tank. The heatsink will have to be large to dissapate the heat.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts