DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have more channels than I need right now, what amp would you guys recommend for my front stage? I have a Class D Wolfram C90.4 (What I'm using right now) or a Class A/B Skar LP-80.4ABV2, the Skar is hooked up in my truck, just have to put a fuse and speaker wire in. Wolfram is more powerful, but Skar is A/B and I've always been told a/b are better for your mids/highs... The front stage is 2 way active using my Dayton DSP-408, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35 6.5s in doors and Tang Band 25-2176s tweeters. The Wolfram is powering them right now, sound good but thinking the Skar might be better (Even tho I'm embarassed to say I own anything Skar, amps arent bad)

Whatever amp I dont use will probably end up running my rear coaxials and if I go to 3 way active front stage power my mids.

·
Premium Member
4,127 Posts
Religion arguements are slightly easier.
(S)he who has ears let them hear.
But a specific amp versus specific is easier.

I would run front speakers (facing you) on the scar, and the rear on the tungsten jobs.
But I cannot explain why .

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I say stick with what you have. Even if there is a difference in sound (touchy subject that can go back and forth for days) the difference will be tiny, and comparing 2 well made amps it should be inaudible.

I'm sticking with class D exclusively now that they've gotten as good as they are.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
doubt you would hear much difference. I personally and not concerned about class d vs class a/b. Unless we are dealing with very expensive amps, the average joe isnt going to hear it

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I have more channels than I need right now, what amp would you guys recommend for my front stage? I have a Class D Wolfram C90.4 (What I'm using right now) or a Class A/B Skar LP-80.4ABV2, the Skar is hooked up in my truck, just have to put a fuse and speaker wire in. Wolfram is more powerful, but Skar is A/B and I've always been told a/b are better for your mids/highs... The front stage is 2 way active using my Dayton DSP-408, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35 6.5s in doors and Tang Band 25-2176s tweeters. The Wolfram is powering them right now, sound good but thinking the Skar might be better (Even tho I'm embarassed to say I own anything Skar, amps arent bad)

Whatever amp I dont use will probably end up running my rear coaxials and if I go to 3 way active front stage power my mids.
I got a bangin deal on two skar amps and they sound great... Even though everybody trashes them they are solidly built and out of the manufacturers that use the korean amplifiers they seem to make the most upgrades to the base design.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the same SKAR amp that the OP is takling about. I really love the compact size and the wiring terminal layout, plus they are supposed to be legit on power output. Right now it sits in a box because neither of my cars are worthy enough to carry this kit inside. :(. I can't wait to power it up when I upgrade my ride.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is one of those can of worms topics that tends to get a lot of feathers ruffled. I have my preferences but that is hardly important. You have both amps already so the answer seems rather straightforward. Try one vs. the other back to back and use the one that sounds best to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts