DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Looks like that is a dual 4 ohm sub with dual voicecoil. You have two options for wiring it if that is indeed the correct configuration; 2 ohms or 8 ohms. If those are the choices, definitely wire it to 2 ohms. Look at Crutchfield subwoofer wiring diagrams to get the proper way to wire your sub to the amp.
I am not sure it double coil or single, can u take a look to my photo

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
bass beat could be more deep, because I notice that when put a single sub in trunk at a sedan car, normally will listen bass is slow from rear
I don't think 1-ohm is slower or faster than 8-ohm, and 2 and 4 are somewhere in between.
I don't think impedance affects the speed of sound.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't think 1-ohm is slower or faster than 8-ohm, and 2 and 4 are somewhere in between.
I don't think impedance affects the speed of sound.
I thinks my word make u miss understanding. I mean that I would prefer the bass enough stronger when going to driver side

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
It could also be that the bass is late...
Which needs TA on the other channels to even out the race.

Too quiet, could mean it needs more power or a different box.

Putting a 4-ohm sub on a brand new 1-ohm amp rated at 10000w will yield 250w. You can do as good, or better, with an old class-AB rated at 250W or more into 4-ohms..

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I am not sure it double coil or single, can u take a look to my photo
Is that the only pair of speaker connections? If so, then it is a single voicecoil. You’d have to test with a multimeter to determine the impedance (2, 4?). Use method 1 with a multimeter to determine the rough impedance.

2 or 4 ohm doesn’t matter so much. You need to match the sub to the amp and make sure the amp puts out the power you want at whatever impedance the subwoofer is.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
2 or 4 ohm doesn’t matter so much. You need to match the sub to the amp and make sure the amp puts out the power you want at whatever impedance the subwoofer is.
Yeah but...
For instance my 300w class-AB is rated 500W into 2 ohms.

That 1kW amp mentiomed way earlier should have the rating go down to 500w at 2-ohm and at 4-ohm it should be down to 250W.

I think that the specific amp he needs is dependent on what the impeedence of his sub is?
(Which you question also drives at)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Is that the only pair of speaker connections? If so, then it is a single voicecoil. You’d have to test with a multimeter to determine the impedance (2, 4?). Use method 1 with a multimeter to determine the rough impedance.

Take a look here, have 2 pair connection.

Mohawk "Classic" (MC-124)
Woofer size: 30cm (12")
Impendance: Dual 4 Ohm
Power handling capacity: 360watts rms
Frequency Response: 30 Hz - 3 kHz
Sensitivity: 86 /- 2dB

This is actual specs from internet. That way I want to ask for suitable amp to match this subwoofer. I have two subwoofer but I plan to use one only for saving place in trunk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah but...
For instance my 300w class-AB is rated 500W into 2 ohms.

That 1kW amp mentiomed way earlier should have the rating go down to 500w at 2-ohm and at 4-ohm it should be down to 250W.

I think that the specific amp he needs is dependent on what the impeedence of his sub is?
(Which you question also drives at)
How was you justify the amp watt, looking at RMS watt or Peak watt. I am finding a suitable amp to match this sub

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
How was you justify the amp watt, looking at RMS watt or Peak watt. I am finding a suitable amp to match this sub
That is a good question...
People run 100-200w up to thousands.
It totally depends on the volume you and SPL you want. Too little power and it is easy to clip and send a lot of DC to the sub, so more power is considered safer.

Personally I would be looking at 500w or more at 2-ohm (if it is a dual 4-ohm and running in parallel). Or a 250w+ 2 or 4 ohm used amp, if you are not playing it too loud.

But I am really not the right one to ask, so it is more of an opinion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That is a good question...
People run 100-200w up to thousands.
It totally depends on the volume you and SPL you want. Too little power and it is easy to clip and send a lot of DC to the sub, so more power is considered safer.

Personally I would be looking at 500w or more at 2-ohm (if it is a dual 4-ohm and running in parallel). Or a 250w+ 2 or 4 ohm used amp, if you are not playing it too loud.

But I am really not the right one to ask, so it is more of an opinion.
That mean I run dual coil 4ohm subwoofer in parrallel series can get 2ohm output. So that, with the specs of my sub is 360w RMS then when I run 2ohm should get a amp that can provide more than 360w rms in 2ohm is more safer right.

Anyhow, thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get a mono class D amp that does 400-500 watts at 2 ohm and call it good. Set your gains correctly and you won't have any issues. If you want louder than go with a ported enclosure or hook up the other one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Get a mono class D amp that does 400-500 watts at 2 ohm and call it good. Set your gains correctly and you won't have any issues. If you want louder than go with a ported enclosure or hook up the other one.
Great idea. I will try to get a 500w at 2ohm mono amp

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
If he did want to hook up the second sub, does he then need an amp with 800-1000w at 2-ohms?

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I agree I would always buy a class D for subs but under around 300rms it doesn't really matter. 300rms does not take enough power to affect a typical car much, but larger amps will. A sub is going to notice the least what type of amp is on it, and so are you. While high side amps can sound different and run what you like. I run a class D on everything right now but have some class AB I would use no problem on highs and mids.

Your sub determines what ohms it has, what power it can handle, and you can series or parallel dual voice coils to half or double the ohms. Your amp can make its rated power into the ohms its rated for.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts