DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any? The larger the better, American made preferred.

A/B's on my substage is killing me. I allready run 130A alt and 2 spare batteries. I can't fit more batteries, and the alt replacement was unplanned so I didn't have money for 200A at the time, but it's almost new so I'd hate to take the hit and replace it and honestly IDK if it would even be enough.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Pretty sure like 90% of Class D amps use a regulated power supply.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amps that have different output at different input voltages are NOT regulated power supply... Near as I know that's most of the stuff out there, particularly the big ones.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
2 words for tight bass. dampening factor
Which is usually quite low in most Class D power amplifiers for the automotive environment :(

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Unless it's a well made design.
Made some research about class D with good DF numbers; here's what I found; if I was running 1 sub:
Alpine PDx 1.1000 @ 8ohm - DF 408 @ 100hz, 632 @ 50hz and 742 @ 30hz
JL Audio HD 750/1 @ 8ohm - DF 1317 @ 100hz, 1495 @ 30hz
Ground Zero Audio GZNA 1.2500D @ 4ohm - DF 2041 @ 100hz, 1548 @ 50hz, 1602 @ 30hz (really high DF for a class D, no problem running it @ 2ohm)
Zapco C2K 9.0XD @ 4ohm - DF 530 @ 100hz, 588 @ 50hz, 574 @ 30hz

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Amps that have different output at different input voltages are NOT regulated power supply... Near as I know that's most of the stuff out there, particularly the big ones.
I think you're confusing something like JL's RIPS or the ICE technology as being the only regulated designs. Those styles are TIGHTLY regulated, to make the same power across voltages and impedance. Generally, if you see a class D amp that doubles output power as impedance is halved you can take a pretty good guess that it uses a regulated power supply.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had until recently been using 4X Zed Minilith. Pushing it with stock alt and 1 additional battery, but could still do max output indefinitely with engine at idle.

Currently running 4X Lanzar Opti 500.2 Can do max output for about 30 seconds at 2.5K rpm.

Just considering options. Is 1000/1 class D? Might be an option if I could pick up 4 on the cheap, but for the price of them retail I could think of better options.

Really, am I just being too picky? I KNOW I could get plenty of class D amps for what I could sell my Lanzars for that would do roughly the same power, but I really believe dynamics is for **** with unregulated power supply amps when I push things and voltage drops. And really I'm at the point where voltage drop is going to happen when I want to let loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts