DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I want to start a SQ minimalist project, I will use a miniDsp HD, using 2 ch for mids/hi, and the other 2 ch for Midbass (Sub signal will be processed by HU).

So I need to choose an amp to run actively a pair of 4" point source drivers.

It should have:

* Small footprint size.
* Built in X-over up to 5 khz.

After a hard research about candidates, I found these ones:

* DD Audio D4.60 (Class D) D4.60

* CT Sounds AT-60.4 (Class AB) https://www.ctsounds.com/collections/at-series-amplifiers/products/at60-4

Both are tiny enough, can do 5 khx XO and handle same power, even price point is similar too.

Only major diference is that one use Class D technology, and the other is a AB Class.

Which one should I get? (wich one delivers the best overall SQ?)

·
Banned
271 Posts
Which is better can not be answered. The absolute only way to decide is using both in the exact same install. And since that can’t be done.. go with the one you like best.

To add, damn that thing is tiny.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Here's a very long thread on the topic: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...177-modern-full-range-class-d-amplifiers.html

...but to cut to the chase:

If a speaker's colorations coincide with an acoustic issue in the vehicle, and reinforce one another, that is much more likely audible than what amp you are using.

Things that contribute to the sound you hear in a vehicle...

1) the vehicle's acoustics
2) the speakers
3) the installation of the speakers
4) the tuning of the system

78) The amplifier's sonic qualities

80) Interconnect cables (assuming there is no noise)

89) Speaker cables

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would take the DD over the CT just on reputation for quality alone.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ive been debating the same thing. It seems just about every high end amp maker is making class d full range amps for mids/highs. I have to figure that the tech really is good enough that you cant really tell the difference.

I'm most likely going class d. One of the newer higher end ones though. I'm not sure if the budget amps are as good or what.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I switched out a class A/B amp with a D... the A/B was in for 2 years. Same install, same speakers. The class D was in for 3 years, with a speaker upgrade mid-way. Switched back to an A/B, Same install, same speakers. I'll be damned if I could tell the difference.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
It helps to understand, at a basic level, what makes class D different. It's a switching amp, and years ago they could not switch fast enough to be used for anything more than sub frequencies. Now, they switch much, much faster and can easily handle up to 20khz.

I can't imagine a situation where I would ever use AB in a car again. When class D can sound just as good, take up less space, and draw a lot less current, buying AB doesn't make sense to me.

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
It helps to understand, at a basic level, what makes class D different. It's a switching amp, and years ago they could not switch fast enough to be used for anything more than sub frequencies. Now, they switch much, much faster and can easily handle up to 20khz.

I can't imagine a situation where I would ever use AB in a car again. When class D can sound just as good, take up less space, and draw a lot less current, buying AB doesn't make sense to me.
Well, but then again, if you only need 10 Watts to make your ears bleed, what's the difference? :)

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Did you come to troll, or help?

The topic is class D vs AB. The topic of power wasn't in the thread until you brought it up with your passive aggressive way of calling me out. If you want to talk about AB vs D, this is the place. Following me around this site to make irrelevant comments isn't making you look good.

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
Did you come to troll, or help?

The topic is class D vs AB. The topic of power wasn't in the thread until you brought it up with your passive aggressive way of calling me out. If you want to talk about AB vs D, this is the place. Following me around this site to make irrelevant comments isn't making you look good.
Oh settle down.

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
Says the instigator :rolleyes:
I'm going back to blocking you joe. Reading your repetitive posts about amps and amp power are not worth the occasional substance you impart. You seem almost offended by people that use whatever amp they like, at whatever power level they want, etc. It is a hobby to many out there, and just because you are some pro who knows so-and-so doesn't mean you know everything anyhow.

And your two big positions "No need to use anything but Class D because of efficiency etc" and "No need to want big power amps" are both oversimplifications, and are somewhat inconsistent. If one only really needs a few Watts, size/efficiency/heat really isn't a concern in the first place.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
I'm going back to blocking you joe. Reading your repetitive posts about amps and amp power are not worth the occasional substance you impart. You seem almost offended by people that use whatever amp they like, at whatever power level they want, etc. It is a hobby to many out there, and just because you are some pro who knows so-and-so doesn't mean you know everything anyhow.

And your two big positions "No need to use anything but Class D because of efficiency etc" and "No need to want big power amps" are both oversimplifications, and are somewhat inconsistent. If one only really needs a few Watts, size/efficiency/heat really isn't a concern in the first place.

Remind me again why you joined this thread... Nothing you've contributed so far has helped, or even been on topic. I don't give a damn if you ignore me, haha. But at least do your part and contribute something of value to a thread for once.

When you learn the proper use of quotation marks and put my actual words into them, we can talk. Generically summarizing what you believe to be my stance and putting that into quotes is pretty amateur. Your value to this forum is clear.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, after some research on this forums, I can see the general consensus is, from some years to now, that modern class D amps are at least as good as AB counterparts, but with some obvious advantages (in size and efficiency).

The only big disvantage I can see, is in nostalgia and beauty (every time I go to the shop, I look this tiny and convenient Audison 8.9 Bit, but it just can't make me feel what old Alpine or Audiocontrol gear used to... At the end, joy is everything in this game...

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts

I have no great understanding of what the levels are for the Class-D amps performance, but there are some nice class-A and class-AB amps.

I generally agree with Joe's "no need to want big power amps"
And I generally disagree with his "No need to use anything but Class D because of efficiency etc"... one does not need to be concerned with efficiency if one is at a low power.

If one does not require super high output wattages, then A and AB can make sense. This is particularly true at the mid-range and tweeter side of the spectrum where there is not a great deal of power required.

I am not using class-D for subs or mid-bass, however I can appreciate that is where I would be drawn to the logic of use them there.

In the end it probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

Reactions: GEM592

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
Well, after some research on this forums, I can see the general consensus is, from some years to now, that modern class D amps are at least as good as AB counterparts, but with some obvious advantages (in size and efficiency).

The only big disvantage I can see, is in nostalgia and beauty (every time I go to the shop, I look this tiny and convenient Audison 8.9 Bit, but it just can't make me feel what old Alpine or Audiocontrol gear used to... At the end, joy is everything in this game...
Well I appreciate that sentiment. But, the thing is, high-end and mid-end class AB amps are still being produced, and successfully marketed, and justifiably so. The thing some people forget is that class AB designs have progressed and matured in their own right, even as class D has developed. You don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There have been big improvements in efficiency, size, etc that often go ignored for no good reason.

I don't understand the mentality that it must be one or the other. They are both good. I think class D, with some improvements, may eventually cement its place as the go-to design for all applications - but they are not there yet.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I appreciate that sentiment. But, the thing is, high-end and mid-end class AB amps are still being produced, and successfully marketed, and justifiably so. The thing some people forget is that class AB designs have progressed and matured in their own right, even as class D has developed. You don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There have been big improvements in efficiency, size, etc that often go ignored for no good reason.

I don't understand the mentality that it must be one or the other. They are both good. I think class D, with some improvements, may eventually cement its place as the go-to design for all applications - but they are not there yet.
I like class A, AB amps. I love old japanise amps like Denon, Fujitsu, Eclipse, Alpine, Sony and many others like RF, Linear Power, etc...

It is just there are too much evidence here that states a modern class D can perform as good as any of them...in a small package and more efficiently, and It is hard to debate that.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I got timed out writing a response but JL XD400/4, tweeters powered from deck. There was something that caused slight harshness on some music. Swapped to AB amp and it was gone. Couldn't really tell what it was and I tried various things before swapping it out, amps didn't sound that different. It's probably the switching used in class d amps. I'd really like a compact D class multichannel dsp all in one box but can't be taking part in the lottery even if it works for most. There is Mosconi/gladen multichannel dsp/amp with class ab, you'd think they would not if class d is superior in every way.. I might try it if I can't fit my current gear anywhere reasonably.

GLADEN ONE 60.8 DSP

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.