DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

CLD Testing

94K views 287 replies 66 participants last post by  SkizeR 
#1 ·
With the closure of SDS, along with some other companies on top of the creation of new companies like Resonix, its time to put these products through the gauntlet again.

I have plenty of time, but no funds to do this on my own, so I am fundraising to get this going. This test rig will be more accurate, have better resolution, lower noise floor, audio recordings, and testing at multiple temps. It is also unfortunately more expensive. This will be a permanent addition to my garage, enabling testing for the foreseeable future.

There will be a dedicated youtube channel where all tests will be posted for transparency. There will also be a dedicated webpage with a running database.

All purchases made with these funds will be documented, and reciepts will be posted for all to see that the funds are being spent appropriately.

As of this point, I'm a little over 32% funded. I will begin gathering materials at the end of this week to start building the test rig, and post updates here as I go.

https://www.gofundme.com/raising-funds-for-new-and-improved-cld-test-rig&rcid=r01-155173830995-7be88c932b4c42da&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_w

See less See more
#2 ·
Lets GOOOOOOOOO!!

As you saw, i donated what i can already. i would put up more but running 1 new business and starting another arent exactly good in the personal wallet department lol

#4 ·
Let's do this people! Donate if you can. Chris' contributions have already proven invaluable to our community. Especially for DIYers.

Thanks to all of you that have and will donate. This is going to be awesome.

Reactions: TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
#19 ·
I prefer not to involve any companies. I will definitely not be reaching out to any. If any reach out to me, I will move forward on a case by case basis, and only with written terms that allow all products tested that are currently for sale, to be fully published, no matter how well or poorly they perform.

The last round of testing, I had several issues due to taking donations from companies. An employee from GTMat was fired after she convinced their owner to send me some products and it tested poorly. The owner of Raamat ranted against me several times on the forum. The new owner of Second Skin, the guy Ant sold the company to, was fully on board with my testing and testing method and sent me a large box of their products. Then, later on, when I called out the false advertising and impossible physics of Second Skin Speaker Tweakers, he went on a large, personal attack on me, my family, and my testing on this very forum. Moderators did nothing about it. Which is why I haven't been on this forum since 2016.

On top of that, there might always be the accusation of bias, no matter how unwarranted. That's a huge part of the reason I've turned down the two jobs I was offered in that industry (jobs that could really help me right now as I'm currently only partially employed and trying to get my own non-audio related business going).

Part of the testing procedure this time will include full video of all testing, from start to finish, to show that all products are given an equal chance. Thanks to the youtube channel my wife and I run, we have the equipment to do this properly now.

#18 ·
I'm with TheLasking that I won't put my name on a list to be contacted for other things. I made the mistake of giving directly to our local fire department once and that was a disaster as thereafter I'd get calls every couple months wanting donations for this or that. Finally got them to stop calling and now all of my donations are anonymous.

TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL - please PM me with your Paypal and I'll give directly if that is an option.

Thanks for offering to do more testing and share the results.

#22 ·
On top of the reasons TS2F gave for not wanting to accept things from companies, if they know they're sending a product for testing, they're going to make damn sure that it gets an extra helping of QC if nothing else. And who knows - they might even have some superior product lying around that was used in early prototypes or sommat that could be sent as a misrepresentation of the actual product being sold. I wouldn't even take anything from forum members or anyone else trying to help out. IMHO, to help eliminate variables, nefarious or not, all product to be tested should be purchased from authorized retailers by the party performing the test.

Chris, I sure do hate to hear that you were treated like that. I wish I could say it's a surprise. Even more reason to applaud you for doing this.

#23 ·
This is exactly where I'm headed, as far as purchasing products for the testing. Its not meant as an offense to any potential product donors, or donors from my last round of testing, but, last time some products were donated that were damaged upon arrival and therefore didn't get tested. I don't think it was intentional, just one of those things that can happen, especially when being sent leftovers from a project.

Again, that's not to call out anyone who helped with the last run of testing, I truly appreciated everyone who helped. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys.

As for my treatment, I can say the worst that ever happened was with Second Skin's owner here, (although at a much later time I had a very pleasant conversation with another of their employees), and an email telling me I should kill myself.

At least I didn't get death threats like Don from SDS did when he had his old testing page up.

#31 ·
It is cute to see new guys jump in the market and fizzle out within a year or so. Almost as funny as watching the people jump on their bandwagon to get free stuff. Stick with the brands that have stood the test of time and you won't be disappointed. Have fun with your testing, look forward to seeing the results.

#34 ·
I would have to disagree with you on this. I ordered my tiles and they showed about 5 days later and when installed, they easily put Dynamat to shame. How do I know? I've used Dynamat for YEARS in several of my vehicles and was a brand loyalist...but ONE use of CLD tiles applied correctly was absolutely noticeable and clearly better than Dynamat. Just my opinion as an enthusiast though.

#38 ·
For those that don't follow on facebook, this project is about 50% funded. I have brought home the wood and casters, and ordered the audio recording mic last night using Parts-Expresses $15 off coupon. I will shortly be ordering the measurement mic, speakers, green glue, and a few other assorted items needed.

#41 ·
^^^THIS^^^

To be quite frank, between DIYMA and all of the FB groups (I understand the overlap), it is kind of embarrassing that we didn't hit the goal in a matter of days. :(

Reactions: SkizeR
#42 ·
Over half way there, I threw in as an Anon

#44 ·
I didn’t do Facebook log in, it allows you to donate directly from the site without Facebook or Google accounts being linked.

Reactions: rton20s and SkizeR
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.