DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 194 Posts

·
Slowpoke
1,350 Posts
On top of the reasons TS2F gave for not wanting to accept things from companies, if they know they're sending a product for testing, they're going to make damn sure that it gets an extra helping of QC if nothing else. And who knows - they might even have some superior product lying around that was used in early prototypes or sommat that could be sent as a misrepresentation of the actual product being sold. I wouldn't even take anything from forum members or anyone else trying to help out. IMHO, to help eliminate variables, nefarious or not, all product to be tested should be purchased from authorized retailers by the party performing the test.

Chris, I sure do hate to hear that you were treated like that. I wish I could say it's a surprise. Even more reason to applaud you for doing this.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
On top of the reasons TS2F gave for not wanting to accept things from companies, if they know they're sending a product for testing, they're going to make damn sure that it gets an extra helping of QC if nothing else. And who knows - they might even have some superior product lying around that was used in early prototypes or sommat that could be sent as a misrepresentation of the actual product being sold. I wouldn't even take anything from forum members or anyone else trying to help out. IMHO, to help eliminate variables, nefarious or not, all product to be tested should be purchased from authorized retailers by the party performing the test.

Chris, I sure do hate to hear that you were treated like that. I wish I could say it's a surprise. Even more reason to applaud you for doing this.
This is exactly where I'm headed, as far as purchasing products for the testing. Its not meant as an offense to any potential product donors, or donors from my last round of testing, but, last time some products were donated that were damaged upon arrival and therefore didn't get tested. I don't think it was intentional, just one of those things that can happen, especially when being sent leftovers from a project.

Again, that's not to call out anyone who helped with the last run of testing, I truly appreciated everyone who helped. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys.

As for my treatment, I can say the worst that ever happened was with Second Skin's owner here, (although at a much later time I had a very pleasant conversation with another of their employees), and an email telling me I should kill myself.

At least I didn't get death threats like Don from SDS did when he had his old testing page up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
This is exactly where I'm headed, as far as purchasing products for the testing. Its not meant as an offense to any potential product donors, or donors from my last round of testing, but, last time some products were donated that were damaged upon arrival and therefore didn't get tested. I don't think it was intentional, just one of those things that can happen, especially when being sent leftovers from a project.

Again, that's not to call out anyone who helped with the last run of testing, I truly appreciated everyone who helped. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys.

As for my treatment, I can say the worst that ever happened was with Second Skin's owner here, (although at a much later time I had a very pleasant conversation with another of their employees), and an email telling me I should kill myself.

At least I didn't get death threats like Don from SDS did when he had his old testing page up.
Holy crap dude. BTW, you know you can file charges against people for things like that right?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Holy crap dude. BTW, you know you can file charges against people for things like that right?
Yeah, I know. If I thought for a second any of them posed any danger, I definitely would have. But yeah, I knew it would happen before I even started. I was warned by multiple people that I was opening a hornets nest.

I seem to do that a lot lol. rton20s knows what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yeah, but chris isnt a total pussy so..

Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Nothing to do with anyone being accused of being a "pussy"...

I worked in Law Enforcement for over 15 years...and I can safely say that if someone or some business threatened me or my family just for doing the right thing (or in his case, a HUGE community service), you best believe I'd have authority figures (in various capacities) showing them the error of their ways. And if they didn't stand down...well let's just say, tradecraft is a misunderstood artform.

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
Yeah, I know. If I thought for a second any of them posed any danger, I definitely would have. But yeah, I knew it would happen before I even started. I was warned by multiple people that I was opening a hornets nest.

I seem to do that a lot lol. rton20s knows what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is cute to see new guys jump in the market and fizzle out within a year or so. Almost as funny as watching the people jump on their bandwagon to get free stuff. Stick with the brands that have stood the test of time and you won't be disappointed. Have fun with your testing, look forward to seeing the results.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Unfortunately, the best performing brand just shut its doors. That leaves Dynamat Xtreme as the current leader, but it doesn't come close to the performance that SDS CLD Tile had.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would disagree, the customer service from SDS was horrible when I tried multiple times. No one wants to wait 2 weeks for an email reply and even longer for the product to show up. But I am sure he is a good guy.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would disagree, the customer service from SDS was horrible when I tried multiple times. No one wants to wait 2 weeks for an email reply and even longer for the product to show up. But I am sure he is a good guy.
I would have to disagree with you on this. I ordered my tiles and they showed about 5 days later and when installed, they easily put Dynamat to shame. How do I know? I've used Dynamat for YEARS in several of my vehicles and was a brand loyalist...but ONE use of CLD tiles applied correctly was absolutely noticeable and clearly better than Dynamat. Just my opinion as an enthusiast though.

·
Listener of Music
2,755 Posts
Can we not turn this in to a how awesome Don was/wasn't conversation. 95% of us have the same opinion. There's a recent SDS thread that stuff can go in.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It should be noted that I am talking about product performance, not customer service. There are big names I won't buy from because of the way the owners behave, but that doesn't affect the actual product performance.

Check the old testing thread, and you'll see that SDS outperformed Dynamat by a good amount.

But, as Theslaking said, this is about testing current products. All current products will be tested, and a batch of SDS will be tested as it was the last testing cycles undisputed winner.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
For those that don't follow on facebook, this project is about 50% funded. I have brought home the wood and casters, and ordered the audio recording mic last night using Parts-Expresses $15 off coupon. I will shortly be ordering the measurement mic, speakers, green glue, and a few other assorted items needed.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Bump. come on guys. 50, 20, hell, even 10 bucks will go a long way in helping get a really helpful test done and making this place worth a damn again.

21 - 40 of 194 Posts