DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 194 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
Bump. come on guys. 50, 20, hell, even 10 bucks will go a long way in helping get a really helpful test done and making this place worth a damn again.
^^^THIS^^^

To be quite frank, between DIYMA and all of the FB groups (I understand the overlap), it is kind of embarrassing that we didn't hit the goal in a matter of days. :(

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Over half way there, I threw in as an Anon

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I would be happy to donate, but I don't do facebook. Any chance someone could post a link to where/how we can donate? Or is that against forum rules?
I didn’t do Facebook log in, it allows you to donate directly from the site without Facebook or Google accounts being linked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
any chance you'll be testing MESAMat this time around? or did i miss the results of it on the last CLD shootout?

the shop i go to in my area is a distributor for Mesa. bummer about SDS. i was looking forward to using their stuff on my upcoming build

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I will be testing everything I possibly can. The only catch is, it will take much longer to test products this time around. Possibly a week per product. Reasons being....

1 - Testing at seven different temps. It will take time to bring products to each temp.

2 - Testing at different levels. This doesn't add much time, but will give a clearer picture of performance.

3 - Multiple tests for each product to check for consistency. Etc.

That said, last time I tested 28 products over about a years time before the rig failed. This time, the rig will have to funds to build it so it doesn't fail, so in a years time I could test 52 products.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
As an update. I have the wood, casters, recording mic (bought with a $15 discount code) measurement mic, speakers (bought with another $15 discount code), and a friend sent me a pc so all I need for that is a screen. I'll be getting the sand tomorrow, and ordering green glue this week. I'm hoping to cut this weekend, but rain is forecast, so we'll see.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Roadkill Ultimate didnt exist last time I tested. However, roadkill ultimate is just roadkill expert with foam attached.

Roadkill expert was tested. I frequently use it as an example to show why the butyl formula is the most important spec, and the one spec no one reveals.

Roadkill is thicker, heavier, and has a thicker aluminun layer than dynamat xtreme. Most people would guess that because of those things, stinger would perform better. But it doesnt, it performs noticeably worse. Dynamat reduced the resonance in my testing by 3db more, and reduced the q of the resonance much more (flattened the peak).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just donated and am looking forward to the testing and results. Come on everyone... toss in a 10 spot. It all adds up. Thanks for doing what you do, TSTF!

In my case, I'm just a guy with a car and a desire to have better sound and quieter environment. I had started the doors with SDS's product after a lot of time researching for the best quality product/results without breaking my wallet. Unfortunately, Don's timing (great experience BTW) meant that when I went to continue with other areas of my car, he had shut SDS down. I've switched to Kno Knoise Kolossus for the CLD and am interested to see how it fares. I've seen reviews indicating that they exaggerate their specs but the product still compares very well for the $. Picked up some Vibro 228 CCF for roof and select areas but have yet to source MLV for floor/firewall and rear seat back. I still am wondering/thinking of something for directly behind speakers in the doors but have yet to make a decision... I'll keep researching on that one, maybe just try some of the Vibro. Anyway, I'll have completed my car, most assuredly, before TSTF has completed his work so I'm only hoping that this grasshopper chooses wisely.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Donate donate support support. I agree. Exclusive distributors of one product or manufacturers, should stay out of donating materials unless willing to accept the results.

You can buy a postal money order and donate with your avatar user name and send it if that makes some feel better.

I hope nobody else gets fired over these new tests, shame on the company that did that, since that would spread faster than the test failure itself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I prefer not to involve any companies.
Isn't your largest donation from a company that is going to sell sound deadener and you have talked about them multiple times on this forum on different threads already? To be fully transparent, unbiased, and taken seriously by everyone shouldn't you return all donations from companies that sell sound deadeners?

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Isn't your largest donation from a company that is going to sell sound deadener and you have talked about them multiple times on this forum on different threads already? To be fully transparent, unbiased, and taken seriously by everyone shouldn't you return all donations from companies that sell sound deadeners?
Your damn right it was. I want to know if my potential manufacturers are fudging my numbers. I already found out one was. Was better way to find out than independent testing.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Listener of Music
2,775 Posts
He's not suggesting he's influenced by their donations. He is suggesting that they are influenced by his testing.

His ability to stave off bias is not in question. That's the main point of this type of test. To avoid company bias.

We should not have the need to get rid of industry money. They should fund it completely and welcome the results. Unfortunately that seemingly has not been the case.

I think your response is the only thing not in line with the thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
He's not suggesting he's influenced by their donations. He is suggesting that they are influenced by his testing.

His ability to stave off bias is not in question. That's the main point of this type of test. To avoid company bias.

We should not have the need to get rid of industry money. They should fund it completely and welcome the results. Unfortunately that seemingly has not been the case.

I think your response is the only thing not in line with the thread.
Everyone has their own views in life, sir. I wouldn't buy a Chevy if they paid for all the testing done to win their silly awards...just like I would have to think twice about testing done with money from the product being tested. To each their own I guess. Seems like the tester is putting in a lot of work, no reason in my eyes to jeopardize the results over $200 from a friend and product owner. And Nick can still see his products results from the test without paying for them. But that is just my opinion. Good luck to all. :pleased:

41 - 60 of 194 Posts