DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Everyone has their own views in life, sir. I wouldn't buy a Chevy if they paid for all the testing done to win their silly awards...just like I would have to think twice about testing done with money from the product being tested. To each their own I guess. Seems like the tester is putting in a lot of work, no reason in my eyes to jeopardize the results over $200 from a friend and product owner. And Nick can still see his products results from the test without paying for them. But that is just my opinion. Good luck to all. :pleased:
Good thing the testing will all be filmed to prevent any claims of bias :)

If it really bothers you that much, dont buy my product. That doesn't bother me. Also, I had a good week last week so I think I'm gunna donate some more.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
There are multiple layers of transparency built into this testing.

Yes, Nick donated. As of right now, Nick doesnt have a CLD product. Nick also knows I'll be the first to drop the hammer if it doesnt perform to expectations. Nick asked me if id rather him donate annonymously. I told him not to, for full transparency. Realistically, he would have donated anyways.

Just to be clear, Nick has offered to help me get this project going for 3 years now. At some points, he even offered to pay in full for the set-up, but I wasnt in a position to have time to test.

Further, i have my house set up to film video. All tests will be fully recorded from start to finish. I may even stream the tests live. It will literally be hours of footage per test to show that everything is on the up and up. Given that my honestly got people fired last time, its unlikely the majority of people will see a conflict here.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
There are multiple layers of transparency built into this testing.

Yes, Nick donated. As of right now, Nick doesnt have a CLD product. Nick also knows I'll be the first to drop the hammer if it doesnt perform to expectations. Nick asked me if id rather him donate annonymously. I told him not to, for full transparency. Realistically, he would have donated anyways.

Just to be clear, Nick has offered to help me get this project going for 3 years now. At some points, he even offered to pay in full for the set-up, but I wasnt in a position to have time to test.

Further, i have my house set up to film video. All tests will be fully recorded from start to finish. I may even stream the tests live. It will literally be hours of footage per test to show that everything is on the up and up. Given that my honestly got people fired last time, its unlikely the majority of people will see a conflict here.

Jesus people will complain about anything!! Your doing this forum and community a great service and not being paid to do it which to anyone with half a brain would show your transparency. Keep on keeping on man good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your damn right it was. I want to know if my potential manufacturers are fudging my numbers. I already found out one was. Was better way to find out than independent testing.

"Independent" testing is usually conducted by a third party which you have zero affiliation with, sir. You and Chris have been friends for like a decade. If you are so worried about the real numbers, why not pay an actual lab to test your up and coming product line like most other brands do when they come to the market? Please do donate more money, so that he can reach his goal and get this started, maybe you can get a plaque on the testing data that says "Project funded by Nick"

PS Live streaming every step of the test would be much more transparent then recording and editing the videos, imo. Good luck and can't wait to see the findings this year.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
"Independent" testing is usually conducted by a third party which you have zero affiliation with, sir. You and Chris have been friends for like a decade. If you are so worried about the real numbers, why not pay an actual lab to test your up and coming product line like most other brands do when they come to the market? Please do donate more money, so that he can reach his goal and get this started, maybe you can get a plaque on the testing data that says "Project funded by Nick"

PS Live streaming every step of the test would be much more transparent then recording and editing the videos, imo. Good luck and can't wait to see the findings this year.
Because the companies that do this testing are the same ones that make the product. I already have their results, one of which was fudged. Also, the testing they do is not anything like the testing done here. I also am not 100% sure how they correlate since the testing done professionally is done at 200hz. That's not very informative for our use. And again, if you dont like the results, dont use the test as your reference.

Ps, I havent even been on here for a decade. I wasnt even driving a decade ago lol

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts

What about me and the other forum members who donated to the project? Or does the $200 that Nick put in overrule everyone else’s contributions? How much did you contribute to the project?

If you don’t like the results of the testing or if you don’t trust the person performing it then kindly get out. Otherwise all I see is some no-post loudmouth annoying me when I get email notifications of the latest rude thing you said.

The obvious reason independent laboratory testing hasn’t been done is because of:

1. Expense
2. Lab setups differ, meaning that all samples from all manufacturers would need to be sent and tested by the same lab to have accuracy. (Refer back to 1)

Even if Nick is doing this privately he will have legal challenges to posting his data because the companies whom he’s competing with will sue to try to suppress it. They’d probably go down the route of saying that it isn’t covered under fair use of the Trademark due to it being a competitor’s marketing material, and it’d probably be deemed valid. Aside from possible financial penalties, that’d leave him with some weak “compared to a popular competing CLD panel maker” type of comparison chart, which while accurate, would be completely flaccid.

So the solution is independent testing, from a source who can actually publish it. Now if you’re willing to arrange and pay for the top xx brands of CLD tiles to be tested by a lab then by all means go for it.

Otherwise it seems like you’re some paranoid nobody who’s suddenly prancing in here and demanding all kinds of special treatment that people who actually contributed aren’t even asking for.

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
Otherwise it seems like you’re some paranoid nobody who’s suddenly prancing in here and demanding all kinds of special treatment that people who actually contributed aren’t even asking for.
Truth.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Since there are many new posters in here, I'd like to point out 2 things.

1. TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL has done CLD testing for this community several years ago. With the turnover in products, now is a good time for another round of CLD testing. And I'm very appreciative of the time AND MONEY TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL has put into preparing for this testing. We also have the benefit of additional knowledge and equipment that will be put into this round of testing.

2. Thinking about the people that would have an issue with a very public and known distributor involvement in the testing, the main ones I come up with are those that don't know any better or people from competing companies that are worried about the test results. For those that don't know any better, read #1 and do some research. For #2, please stay off the board or focus on developing better products. While fads and forum darlings happen, DIYMA is usually focused on identifying quality products that provide good value. This is why brands like SB Acoustics and similar become popular.

Last thing I'll say is please stop suggesting TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL will skew results for money as that is incredibly offensive without proof of such improprieties.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just dropped some coin into the gofundme bucket.

I was the 39th donation but we have something like 5,000 "active" members so we just need people to get in here and give a little bit. This is the kind of DIY stuff that we as a group should get behind and support.

Thanks for taking on this task, TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hey guys, thanks for the support. I'm actually getting a lot less crap then the first time I did this years ago. No death threats or suggestions to kill myself. Yet. Lol.

I will have a video update next week that will be posted across all platforms.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
As for live streaming, I have no problem doing it, but, there would still have to be cuts. DSLR's have a 30min recording limit before shutting off recording to keep them from being taxed as a camcorder in Europe.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the support. I'm actually getting a lot less crap then the first time I did this years ago. No death threats or suggestions to kill myself. Yet. Lol.

I will have a video update next week that will be posted across all platforms.
kill yourself..

ok, now that thats over with, when can we start testing? :)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
As for live streaming, I have no problem doing it, but, there would still have to be cuts. DSLR's have a 30min recording limit before shutting off recording to keep them from being taxed as a camcorder in Europe.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
web cam

·
Registered
494 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of https://drartex.com/ ? It's a sound deadening company based out of Singapore. They make some claims about their stuff being great. Maybe worth wile to test.
So....has this been used by anyone on this board? Is it worth buying some samples to test? TS2F?

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
So....has this been used by anyone on this board? Is it worth buying some samples to test? TS2F?
from what i can tell, its the same as noico, just with different thicknesses. seems to use the same foil, butyl, and packaging.

·
Slowpoke
1,350 Posts

Paid lab testing of this scope would be impossible due to cost constraints. This set of tests is estimated to cost $2,000 with FREE LABOR and facilities. And it will be a lot of labor - as witnessed by the last batch of tests. As Chris does this there are no overhead costs, no dozens of man hours at triple digits, no lab setup fees - just a generous & talented guy with a curiosity about a pretty cool subject. This would easily run into 5 digits going through a lab.

Since you're being picky, what would satisfy your standard of funding? I kicked in and I personally profit from soundproofing. Am I a conflict of interest too? Would you only accept government funding?

You're lucky to be able to access a community with such a committed membership - just sayin'.

61 - 80 of 194 Posts