DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Paid lab testing of this scope would be impossible due to cost constraints. This set of tests is estimated to cost $2,000 with FREE LABOR and facilities. And it will be a lot of labor - as witnessed by the last batch of tests. As Chris does this there are no overhead costs, no dozens of man hours at triple digits, no lab setup fees - just a generous & talented guy with a curiosity about a pretty cool subject. This would easily run into 5 digits going through a lab.

Since you're being picky, what would satisfy your standard of funding? I kicked in and I personally profit from soundproofing. Am I a conflict of interest too? Would you only accept government funding?

You're lucky to be able to access a community with such a committed membership - just sayin'.
The proper testing that he wants (that may not even be the best for our use, since again, tested at 200hz) takes 3 days per sample, and requires multiple people, all with PHD's in their select field. Yeah, sorry. I cant even imagine how much that would cost and I'm not shelling out for that unless they offer it for free or highly discounted when using them for manufacturing.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
So....has this been used by anyone on this board? Is it worth buying some samples to test? TS2F?
I'm willing to test anything. Just need to make the list and put them in order. SDS will be first since its the baseline product.

I'm actually liking their Redwind product. Would probably help my current car. And might be easier to slip in the seals than surgical tubing ive seen used for the same purpose.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I'm actually liking their Redwind product. Would probably help my current car. And might be easier to slip in the seals than surgical tubing ive seen used for the same purpose.
Yeah that's the product that caught my eye too.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Donation made.

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
True. Curious to see if anyone will sit through a whole test session.
No one will, but you can always save them and leave the streams up for viewing later.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
^^^THIS^^^

If you stream it live, very few will watch and even less will watch it all the way through live. However, if the live streams are kept up on Youtube, you'll likely see more views there where people can increase the playback speed or just skip to the "good stuff." And I imagine that any manufacturer whose product performs well will quickly start spreading links to their test (and others) as a marketing tool. The ones that don't perform so well... you already know how they react. ;)

Also... Zero2CLDTesting?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
I can't wait for testing to begin. I need to deaden my truck but now that SDS is gone I want to know what to use for CLD.
I know dynamat extreme is the current recommended but it leaves something to be desired compared to SDS. Hopefully there will be a new champion that even outperforms SDS with cost/performance!

Side Note: Who cares who donates money to this as long as they don't interfere. TS2F clearly was not persuaded with the previous test by who donated stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I didn't see this in the other test (all 70 pages)...what were the results for the GP STFU deadner? There's reference to the product's adhesive performance but I never saw the graphs for it. Also, is STFU v2 going to be tested this time around?

Thank you TooStubborn for all your hard work!

·
New CAJ Member!
432 Posts
By heat testing I'm guessing you mean how hot before it fails?

I was just coming to ask if you're going to see what kind of insulation value they have. Last summer I was putting CLD on the outer skin of the doors of my Explorer at about 2pm on an 85 degree day in direct sunlight. At one point I put my hand on the bare metal of the outer skin and got exactly what my dumb ass deserved. After I got the CLD in I could easily keep my hand on the outer skin. Still mid afternoon in direct sunlight. I know it's not really a part of the performance of a CLD as a dampener but it seems (and I'm guessing again here) it would be easy enough to point a infrared temp gun at the other side from your heat source if you are doing heat testing to measure the drop.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Old test rig was un-usable by the time I got the STFU V2 in, which is what I heat tested. It will be tested again.
funny enough, i have a tesla in the shop right now. Another shop used another brands version (same stuff, different logo) of this stuff. our job today with it is to fix the rattles in the trunk that the previous shop couldnt handle. the stuff they used was all falling off when we took the panels of the hatch off. My feeling is the stfu also didnt hold up to heat very well..?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
... the previous shop couldnt handle. the stuff they used was all falling off when we took the panels of the hatch off. My feeling is the stfu also didnt hold up to heat very well..?
Certainly that is possible, but is also speculation at this point as it is also possible that "the previous shop" did not clean and prep the panels well enough and/or simply applied it without rolling. Or applied it on a cold surface on a cold day. Or failure was a combination of ALL of the above. Just saying'.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Certainly that is possible, but is also speculation at this point as it is also possible that "the previous shop" did not clean and prep the panels well enough and/or simply applied it without rolling. Or failure was a combination of ALL of the above.
you shouldnt really need to do any prep in the hatch of a car thats a year old.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
K...but proper application techniques are STILL important IMO.
Of course. But this product has a history of melting and falling off

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 194 Posts