DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

121 - 140 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'll be happy to donate, and I'd be happy to also donate Noico 80mil. I did the front door on my truck, and I *feel* like it made a difference, but I'd love to see it on paper.

I searched your original thread for Noico, and although I saw it referenced, I never saw it actually tested.

Would it be possible to post the results in an easier to search format? I'd be willing to help out maintaining a website if that would be easier.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'll be happy to donate, and I'd be happy to also donate Noico 80mil. I did the front door on my truck, and I *feel* like it made a difference, but I'd love to see it on paper.

I searched your original thread for Noico, and although I saw it referenced, I never saw it actually tested.

Would it be possible to post the results in an easier to search format? I'd be willing to help out maintaining a website if that would be easier.
I would love to see Noico tested as well since we've heard reports of it doing well, but there's never actually been testing.

Can you test Soundbarrier MX-4 or would it not work since it's CLD + CCF? I'd be happy to send in a sample since I think I will have leftovers. Just let me know how much you need so I don't use it all up!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a request for one to be tested if possible. DD Audio EA-3.0. the butyl is 3mm thick, or 118 mils.

I would love to see how this stacks up.

If you need a piece sent in, just let me know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
I would love to see Noico tested as well since we've heard reports of it doing well, but there's never actually been testing.

Can you test Soundbarrier MX-4 or would it not work since it's CLD + CCF? I'd be happy to send in a sample since I think I will have leftovers. Just let me know how much you need so I don't use it all up!
noico is rebranded from SPT silver. that was tested.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nick / Chris, I know the results of the last test were that 25% coverage did the bulk of the deadening, at least CLD wise. I also feel like I read a post somewhere by one of you that said that either full sheets or separate/unconnected/(overlapping or not?) pieces were more effective? Ringing any bells?

I'm new to this and wondering how much to use / whether to combine with other products (like CCF, MLV, melanine foam - the SDS site approach).

I'm also wondering if those "full car" kits of dynamat xtreme are bogus advertising? They're like $150 and I'm guessing we wouldn't be talking prices much if that were the total cost of dampening a car.

Btw, super pumped for the new tests. Any idea when those might be underway? Are you just waiting on that last $50?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
1 - Returns do diminish after 25%, how much you should use depends on how severe the resonance issues are in your car. Full sheets are definitely better than the same coverage with smaller pieces.

SDS approach is definitely the best bet for overall noise control.

You can probably do a majority of the vibration damping for $150 or so on some of the smallest cars. Entirely dependent on the number and size of the resonant panels in each car.

I'm definitely not waiting for the last $50. I have been delayed a little though.

Essentially I lost my job last year in July. It was a big ordeal, lawyers were involved, the union was involved, eventually I got the termination off my record and got my retirement and unemployment back. In the meantime, I started working as a notary, got a part time job at USPS, and was delivering for postmates to try to pay the bills. But, things didn't pick up as quickly as I needed, and no one was replying to my applications for full time work. Got to the point we had to borrow from family to keep our house. USPS finally opened a full time job, and I jumped on it, but I've been in training the last few weeks out of town, so I haven't had time to work on anything for those weeks. I'm actually leaving now for my last day of training.

So, I want to apologize. The testing is coming, it just got delayed a couple of weeks. I have 95% of what I need to get it going, and the funds to get what I don't have. Most of the money that is left was to be used to purchase products to test.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Thanks guys. Ill find out when my OJI starts today, today is the last day of academy. Literally just pulled in to the facility. If OJI doesnt start this weekend, I'll get a lot done on the rig. If not, I'll get it done as I can. As a CCA, I'm on call 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, but, they arent supposed to work me more than 7 days straight (or they have to pay me double time).

·
Registered
77 Posts
1 - Returns do diminish after 25%, how much you should use depends on how severe the resonance issues are in your car. Full sheets are definitely better than the same coverage with smaller pieces.

You can probably do a majority of the vibration damping for $150 or so on some of the smallest cars. Entirely dependent on the number and size of the resonant panels in each car.

I'm definitely not waiting for the last $50. I have been delayed a little though.

Essentially I lost my job last year in July. It was a big ordeal, lawyers were involved, the union was involved, eventually I got the termination off my record and got my retirement and unemployment back. In the meantime, I started working as a notary, got a part time job at USPS, and was delivering for postmates to try to pay the bills. But, things didn't pick up as quickly as I needed, and no one was replying to my applications for full time work. Got to the point we had to borrow from family to keep our house. USPS finally opened a full time job, and I jumped on it, but I've been in training the last few weeks out of town, so I haven't had time to work on anything for those weeks. I'm actually leaving now for my last day of training.

So, I want to apologize. The testing is coming, it just got delayed a couple of weeks. I have 95% of what I need to get it going, and the funds to get what I don't have. Most of the money that is left was to be used to purchase products to test.
No need to apologize. You’re above and beyond what most of the rest of us are doing for this forum/community.

SDS is best but no longer available, correct? So for now it’s dynamat extreme (or maybe kolossus? Have to check availability) until the new testing is out? ... I have a 2010 Accord V6. Not the smallest car, also not the most cheaply assembled per say. Wouldn’t say it’s on the extremely noisy end (but I’m also newb to car audio).

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
No need to apologize. You’re above and beyond what most of the rest of us are doing for this forum/community.

SDS is best but no longer available, correct? So for now it’s dynamat extreme (or maybe kolossus? Have to check availability) until the new testing is out? ... I have a 2010 Accord V6. Not the smallest car, also not the most cheaply assembled per say. Wouldn’t say it’s on the extremely noisy end (but I’m also newb to car audio).
From the old testing, yes. I would probably go with either of those two. Though, Kolossus is more likely to fail (not that it will) in areas with high temperatures.

You might also consider Resonix. It hasn't been tested yet, but I've been talking with Nick throughout his process of developing the brand/selecting products and rolling the dice on his new CLD is likely a risk I would be willing to take.

·
Registered
77 Posts

The combination of 25% with full sheets better than smaller pieces does pose a quandary, ha. Seems if we start w/ 25% and then decide to go further, the result would be broken up sheets. #life

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
From the old testing, yes. I would probably go with either of those two. Though, Kolossus is more likely to fail (not that it will) in areas with high temperatures.

You might also consider Resonix. It hasn't been tested yet, but I've been talking with Nick throughout his process of developing the brand/selecting products and rolling the dice on his new CLD is likely a risk I would be willing to take.

I will vouch for Kolossus and say that temps are NOT going to be a concern with that product. I'm in Vegas, it gets hot as balls here, and I've put Knu in most of my builds for years now. I've even installed the stuff on the underside of a panel (so, exposed to the elements and exhaust heat) in the case of a trunk floor on a Durango, and 3 years later it looks exactly like it did prior.

That said:

I like Nick, I like what he does for us, and my next CLD purchase will probably be his product just because he's a cool dude and he gets my support. And he has nice foams coming so that's something Knu never focused on.

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
I will vouch for Kolossus and say that temps are NOT going to be a concern with that product. I'm in Vegas, it gets hot as balls here, and I've put Knu in most of my builds for years now. I've even installed the stuff on the underside of a panel (so, exposed to the elements and exhaust heat) in the case of a trunk floor on a Durango, and 3 years later it looks exactly like it did prior.

That said:

I like Nick, I like what he does for us, and my next CLD purchase will probably be his product just because he's a cool dude and he gets my support. And he has nice foams coming so that's something Knu never focused on.
I'm pretty sure we've discussed the Kolossus issue before. I know you've had great results with it, and I have it in my own car. Beyond Chris' own heat testing, when you see him refer to knowing of a failure, he is referring to me. I had one piece fall off in one of my doors. It was a fairly narrow strip applied to the plastic door card, if I recall correctly. (It has been a while.)

Everything else seem solid 4+ years later. I guess I'll find out if I have any other issued next time I need to get into my doors or behind some panels.

For what it is worth, I still have a stack of Kolossus in my garage. I'll likely finish it off before I order anything new.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Vibraflex? Thoughts? Will it be in the new tests?
A customer of mine previously used it in his doors before taking his car to me. I found it cracked into a bunch of pieces at the bottom of his door when the car got to me. He used a heat gun and cleaned the surface before installing it. That's my only experience with it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 194 Posts