DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
A customer of mine previously used it in his doors before taking his car to me. I found it cracked into a bunch of pieces at the bottom of his door when the car got to me. He used a heat gun and cleaned the surface before installing it. That's my only experience with it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I was wondering about that. Couldn't imagine how a brittle substance (at many temperatures) is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Subscribed - to the forum! - and donated to meet the goal. Awesome work!
Thanks! I got your message over at GoFundMe, I'll get in touch sometime this coming week.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
As stated above, we've reached the goal. I'm going to get some updates posted this sunday, unless I get called in to work again. Right now, I'm on call 7 days a week, and have been working that, out in 90-100+ degree temps, in a non air conditioned oven of a vehicle. I'm not going to sugar coat it, I'm not used to that. But the last week and a half I've acclimated a bit, and should be able to do more when I get home other than shower and pass out pretty quickly. I've dropped almost 10lbs in 2 weeks and its getting a little easier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone used or heard of Silencer Inc. 3-in-1 deadener? Saw some guys talking about it on bookface and figured I'd ask about it here.
I'm using kolossus on my truck as well as some vibrosolutions products and TMS mlv. I'll look when I'm home tomorrow at the Velcro I got, Don recommended it to me and I purchased it off amazon if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Anyone used or heard of Silencer Inc. 3-in-1 deadener? Saw some guys talking about it on bookface and figured I'd ask about it here.
I'm using kolossus on my truck as well as some vibrosolutions products and TMS mlv. I'll look when I'm home tomorrow at the Velcro I got, Don recommended it to me and I purchased it off amazon if I remember correctly.
Literally, the same exact stuff as Soundskins and Sonic Barrier.

also, shameless plug: here is the exact same velcro Don was selling.. https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/product/resonix-vinyl-compatible-velcro/

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Any updates? :)

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Any updates? :)
I talked to Chris last night. We will be meeting up this weekend to work on the test rig. Mostly because he needs some extra bodies to help move some heavy and unwieldy parts into position.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Nice, I'm excited to see the wheels turning.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
I talked with Chris again last night and he is having issues with his DIYMA account. He asked me to post a quick update.

"Except for the little finishing bits and pieces, ie latch system, the whole rig will be physically finished by next Friday."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad to see Chris is close to starting the new round of testing.
I assume Chris will be posting on here soon.
Will it be possible to send a sample or two to Chris for inclusion in the testing?

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Chris hasn’t been able to log in, but here is a quick status update on the test rig build as of Wednesday night.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
can i make a request. maybe go for a piece of metal that has a similar resonant frequency of your typical car door?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chris hasn’t been able to log in, but here is a quick status update on the test rig build as of Wednesday night.
Is that opening in front of the two speakers where the sheet metal will go?
If so, what is the size of that opening?
Does Chris have plenty of pieces of metal that size to use for testing different dampening materials?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Is that opening in front of the two speakers where the sheet metal will go?
If so, what is the size of that opening?
Does Chris have plenty of pieces of metal that size to use for testing different dampening materials?
That opening is where the mounting plates for the metal sheets will go. There will be a MDF base plate, with a 1/4" thick steel back plate bonded and bolted to the wood piece, and a 1/4" thick steel front clamping plate. I will use a couple of different thickness sheets, as well as possibly an aluminum sheet. I may also test a wood panel (since people like to use CLD on wood thinking it works the same). I will only have one of each thickness panel, to reduce variables. It will have a steel mounting baffle, alignment pins, and will be torqued to the same level for every test.

I will also later on be able to test barriers (MLV/Lead).

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Forget all of this really useful testing. Is that a full suit of plate mail armor in the background?
Haha. I wish it was legit. Its just a prop my sister n law bought for a birthday party they threw for my mother in law.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That opening is where the mounting plates for the metal sheets will go. There will be a MDF base plate, with a 1/4" thick steel back plate bonded and bolted to the wood piece, and a 1/4" thick steel front clamping plate. I will use a couple of different thickness sheets, as well as possibly an aluminum sheet. I may also test a wood panel (since people like to use CLD on wood thinking it works the same). I will only have one of each thickness panel, to reduce variables. It will have a steel mounting baffle, alignment pins, and will be torqued to the same level for every test.

I will also later on be able to test barriers (MLV/Lead).
So if "one of each thickness panel" refers to the steel (or aluminum) sheet to which the acoustic material will be affixed, that means you will have to apply (i.e.: glue) each sample material being tested to that metal sheet, then remove it after the test is complete... correct?

If so, what type of adhesive would you be able/willing to use (for anything that isn't peel & stick)? e.g.: 3M 90?

What is the approx. size (width x length) of that sheet?
Based on the size of looks like roughly 14" x 18"?

I have a couple materials (which you probably have not seen before) that I would like you to test, when you have time.

Thanks again for being so determined (aka: 'stubborn') on this project!

141 - 160 of 194 Posts