DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone :) I made an account to ask what has literally been an issue for almost a year. I’m not too knowledgeable so bear with me and thank you in advance to anyone who can give advice. Now for the long explanation

I have a Honda Accord 2018 sport. I’ve been told the head unit cannot be replaced as it’s so Inter grated to the car itself. I first went to an installer who did a poor job and didn’t even give me a audio control adapter audio sounded horrible. Went elsewhere to have it installed and now the ongoing issue is this:

i have sound clipping from all speakers that only comes in with really high frequency notes. Best example is the intro part to “high for this” by the Weekend. I’ve tried CarPlay, Bluetooth and radio all with same issues. I’ve tried lowering the gains on both the audio control and the amps with no avail. Basically I get the same clipping even when all the gains are low/ volume is low.Regardless of how much gains I have I always have clipping at half of the HU volume. It Maxes at 40 but around 15-20 depending on how high the note is, clipping will occur. I’ve tried swapping different tweeters, mid bass speakers, have gone through 3 amps, switched ground wires and speaker wire to thicker options with no different outcome. What’s odd is if I crank the amp so high to the point where it’s really loud around volume 15 (and a lot of floor noise) I can control the clipping. As again, the clipping isn’t due to volume or gains just past volume 20. Something I’ve noticed also is I need to crank the lc7i outputs to basically max to get near a 4v reading on the multimeter.
SETUP:
4 gauge ground wire ( have already tried moving ground point
14 gauge speaker wire
Lc7i Audio control, Alpine R-A60f 4 channel amp, alpine RS65 c.2 component speakers in front and some cheap 100 watt max Earthquake full range speakers in back, jbl 500 watt mono amp for a 12 inch alpine sub ( sub has zero issues. Nice and punchy)
Any suggestions guys 😔

·
Registered
931 Posts
There is a switch on the 4 channel amp for HI level or Low level input. If you're using the LOC than it should be Low level (RCA). If that switch is in the correct position than you you need to go through a gain setting procedure on the LOC and amp.

If that doesn't work than we can bypass the LOC and use another device to check the amps and speakers. Get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and try using your phone or laptop to send the signal to the amp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a switch on the 4 channel amp for HI level or Low level input. If you're using the LOC than it should be Low level (RCA). If that switch is in the correct position than you you need to go through a gain setting procedure on the LOC and amp.

If that doesn't work than we can bypass the LOC and use another device to check the amps and speakers. Get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and try using your phone or laptop to send the signal to the amp.
Thank you for the advice. I’m going to order a rca to aux and test that out. Just noticed the audio cables going into the LOC are 18 gauge, could that be an issue? How can I use the multi meter to test if the issue revolves the audio control input and outputs

·
Registered
931 Posts
How is the LOC wired up? 18 gauge is fine. You're settings are probably ****ed. Get some photos off all the amp and LOC settings, wiring, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is the LOC wired up? 18 gauge is fine. You're settings are probably ****ed. Get some photos off all the amp and LOC settings, wiring, etc.
This is the loc and 4 amp. For some context I know the gains are the 4 amp are high but it’s the only way I can get loud volume without clipping since I can get “max” volume at 15 volume. Lots of floor noise. Also for the LOC I have it have it maxed out otherwise my speakers are super low volume even with gains turned up :/

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
This is one of those issues where someone with experience needs to listen to it, one persons clipping is another persons saturated inputs or whatever

when you say clipping what do you mean exactly? Take a video so we can hear it… it’s incredibly hard to get high freqs to clip due to how energy is distributed in music… (pretty impossible if the bass isn’t clipping! So we need to understand what your noise is and levels when it’s occurring…

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I suppose the OP could use an RCA to female 3-mm jack and listen with some ear buds.
Probably before and after the audicontrol unit.

And also a male 3mm to RCAs and play a phone directly into the amps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is one of those issues where someone with experience needs to listen to it, one persons clipping is another persons saturated inputs or whatever

when you say clipping what do you mean exactly? Take a video so we can hear it… it’s incredibly hard to get high freqs to clip due to how energy is distributed in music… (pretty impossible if the bass isn’t clipping! So we need to understand what your noise is and levels when it’s occurring…
I will take some videos after work and upload them. Just ordered a female and male 3mm to rca on Amazon. And yea I’ve been told it’s usually bass that should clip. Which is why no one that’s been willing to look at my tampered car has been able to figure out the issue. But basically when these high notes play (and ONLY when it’s past that 15-20 volume) I hear what sounds like a cracking come from the tweeters/mid speakers. I figured somewhere in the setup there may be a voltage drop. And I’ve purchased a multimeter but I’m not sure where to stick them to test the amp and loc well. I tested the amp with the car off and was able to get the 12/14 voltage read

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
A surfer could think of high frequencies as choppy wave riding on top of big rolling ocean swells of bass.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The only time I’ve ever had crackling from tweeters and mids is when they were getting notes too low when someone goosed up a crossover! Or the crossovers were only 6db and shouldn’t have been used as they were too low

The front components… what crossover do they use? You could try putting a solid high pass at 4k on the front drivers and then see if the issue occurs (yes it won’t sound good/balanced), but it’s a test, it’s likely not clipping though which would be in the signal somewhere or your expecting way too much level from the drivers or both…

hence why a video would help… but it’s not clipping in the freqs your saying, bass would definitely clip first, speakers distort for lots of reasons, clipping is incredibly rare… being overdriven outside of a nice easy pass band is way more likely and if you knew no better you could call it clipping I guess

·
Registered
27 Posts
Please post the name of the shop that actually charged you for that install. Other members should know to stay away. Your car should have never left the install bay looking like that much less sounding the way you say it does. Is that loc just smashed under the seat when you put the bottom cushion back in.

I wouldn't trust those cut up rca's they're using for your input wiring. If they'll leave it looking like that where you'll see, what do the connections look like at the radio, where you can't? Do you know if they used any kind of load resistors?I've had some oem radios get very noisy with no load?

For a quick test set your lc7i and alpine gains to ~50%, turn both hp filters on in the amp set them to 400hz, if you still have your clipping It's an install/equipment issue. If it goes away you need to find a better shop to help you set your gains/crossovers correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Here’s a link of some quick sound checks. Hope it’s clear enough

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only time I’ve ever had crackling from tweeters and mids is when they were getting notes too low when someone goosed up a crossover! Or the crossovers were only 6db and shouldn’t have been used as they were too low

The front components… what crossover do they use? You could try putting a solid high pass at 4k on the front drivers and then see if the issue occurs (yes it won’t sound good/balanced), but it’s a test, it’s likely not clipping though which would be in the signal somewhere or your expecting way too much level from the drivers or both…

hence why a video would help… but it’s not clipping in the freqs your saying, bass would definitely clip first, speakers distort for lots of reasons, clipping is incredibly rare… being overdriven outside of a nice easy pass band is way more likely and if you knew no better you could call it clipping I guess

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I tried setting the filters on the amp to the highest possible and I still get the same clip/distortion at the same high frequency notes. The crossovers being used are the standard ones included with the alpine tweeters which then connect to the mid bass speakers which are wired to the amp. I’ve tried hertz tweeters paired with coaxial speakers and jl tweeters paired with mid bass speakers before with the same issue

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please post the name of the shop that actually charged you for that install. Other members should know to stay away. Your car should have never left the install bay looking like that much less sounding the way you say it does. Is that loc just smashed under the seat when you put the bottom cushion back in.

I wouldn't trust those cut up rca's they're using for your input wiring. If they'll leave it looking like that where you'll see, what do the connections look like at the radio, where you can't? Do you know if they used any kind of load resistors?I've had some oem radios get very noisy with no load?

For a quick test set your lc7i and alpine gains to ~50%, turn both hp filters on in the amp set them to 400hz, if you still have your clipping It's an install/equipment issue. If it goes away you need to find a better shop to help you set your gains/crossovers correctly.
The name of the shop is Monney car audio located in California, Menlo Park. The owner is Leo and he is a very shady dealer. Always made me feel pressured and didn’t explain anything to me. Begs me to wonder. When he first did his install he didn’t give me the LOC so I still have NO clue what he did behind the radio and what kind of splicing they did. The sound was disgustingly bad and poor when he first finished. It was me who had to do Research and speak with crutchfield. They recommended the LOC and when I told him about it he pretended to always know what they were and sold me one for 50 dollars less of retail, and they did a very quick install and changed nothing of what was behind the radio. Idk if that possibly raises flags and if I should go to a shop for them to check that. The sad thing is here in California, San Mateo where I live, literally no shops want to look at my car because it’s not their work. I wonder if Best Buy has actual experts who could find something like this...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I tried setting the filters on the amp to the highest possible and I still get the same clip/distortion at the same high frequency notes. The crossovers being used are the standard ones included with the alpine tweeters which then connect to the mid bass speakers which are wired to the amp. I’ve tried hertz tweeters paired with coaxial speakers and jl tweeters paired with mid bass speakers before with the same issue
They all sound like simple in line crossovers which are 6db normally…

the amps crossovers may or may not be high enough… what’s the highest frequency the crossover goes to? Ideally I’d try 3-4khz and see if it stops the crackling, it’s not clipping from what I could make out on your video, more the tweeters getting lower freqs than they should, this will damage/blow tweeters if it carry’s on 👍🏼

·
Registered
872 Posts
I would take it to a real shop. You may have to bite the bullet and pay to have the entire thing gone over.

The guys who did the original install are HACKS. It appears they scraped paint away for grounds with a flathead screwdriver?... That says it all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts