DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question about second skin over kill close cell foam. is the ss over kill the same stuff as the ensolite?
anyone use the over kill and any comments. how effective is the extra layer of close cell foam?

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I truly believe that adding ensolit to the raam mat (as the last layer) improved the sound proofing of my truck. Its awesome stuff (the ensolite). I have no idea about second skin...but the ensolite you can get from Rick McCallum...who is awesome to deal with.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i noticed more of a difference from one layer of 3/4" closed cell in my doors than i did with 4 layers of deadening....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Derek said:
i noticed more of a difference from one layer of 3/4" closed cell in my doors than i did with 4 layers of deadening....
You are running your mids IB? The foam would be useless if there were an enclosure correct?

·
Registered
531 Posts
yeah....i think this summer i'm going to snag some ensolite and do the rest of the car....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You can get some closed cell egg crate foam from walmart for $12.xx. Its used to cover the ground under your sleeping bag (in the camping section). I used 1 layer to cover the entire inside outer door and 3 layers behind my midbass. Best $12.xx I ever spent on my system. The 40 sq. ft of dynamat Extreme & Damplifier Pro for my front doors helped greatly too.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I think people have a huge mis-conception concerning sound deadening and vibration control.

Products like Raam mat, Dynamat, and spray on eDead are for VIBRATIONAL control

Products like Ensolite and egg crate foam are for SOUND ABSORPTION/CONTROL

They serve different purposes, but when used combined, their affects are great enhanced when compared to the product by itself.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yeah, guess I should have clarified that. I just wanted to let people know about the great deal on the egg crate that you don't have to water proof.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If cars were designed right instead of for a price point we wouldn't need either, instead you need both.

·
Registered
677 Posts
AzGrower said:
I think people have a huge mis-conception concerning sound deadening and vibration control.

Products like Raam mat, Dynamat, and spray on eDead are for VIBRATIONAL control

Products like Ensolite and egg crate foam are for SOUND ABSORPTION/CONTROL

They serve different purposes, but when used combined, their affects are great enhanced when compared to the product by itself.

It's called mass loading and barrier loading.

Liquids are actually a decent combination of both, but not necessary the best at either. Liquid deadeners do have better barrier loading properties than mat type deadener...but they aren't nearly as effective on their own as foams are. Likewise, liquids do a good job of mass loading, but again aren't as effective on their own as mat deadeners.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Another cheap recommendation is using the rubber spray that people use to line the bed of their trucks or the underbody. I sprayed a couple coats on the outer inside door panel before laying down the dynamat extreme. It helped to reduce the rattles of small objects that I couldn't get to with the dynamat.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
There is only one real spray on coating that I know of that works both on mass loading and sound blocking. It is used in industrial situations and laboratory setting, its called Noise Killer and can be found here. Its not cheap though by any means:
http://www.memtechacoustical.com/noisekiller/noisekiller.htm

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Hobbes26 said:
Where can I get some of this Ensolite?
you came to the right spot...RaamAudio offers it along with his excellent product Raammat bxt. Hit him up, he can help you out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hobbes26 said:
... in Canada tho? hmm
I live in Burnaby, BC. I ordered mine last Thursday, got it yesterday. Inexpensive S&H to Canada. Great guy also, I would highly recommend him. I've ordered Brown Bread and B-Quiet in the past minly because they're in Canada but RaaMaa audio does a lot better.

·
Registered
677 Posts
AzGrower said:
There is only one real spray on coating that I know of that works both on mass loading and sound blocking.

SecondSkin Spectrum and Cascade (V-block ?) does aswell. eDead is supposed to aswell....but I'm not a big fan of their products.

Over on SIN they had an article showing the reduction in interior noise using the Cascade product.

·
Registered
62 Posts
MrLister said:
I live in Burnaby, BC. I ordered mine last Thursday, got it yesterday. Inexpensive S&H to Canada. Great guy also, I would highly recommend him. I've ordered Brown Bread and B-Quiet in the past minly because they're in Canada but RaaMaa audio does a lot better.
Thanks. Emailed him, now waiting for reply.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts