DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Good luck man. Sorry to hear about your medical issues.

Reactions: ANS

·
Registered
2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab sport
1,105 Posts
Great seller guys! Great gear! Positive vibes and prayers your way..

Reactions: ANS

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The 2.250 is 1kw @2ohm at 1% thd just incase anyone looks and wonders why the 2x500 at 1ohm doesn't correlate, gz also give a 10% thd figure which is 1200 wrms @2ohm bridged

They sure do cost a lot in the USA vs Europe 😮 see the Emma price list for details, it sucks that you guys get hammered for tax and duty on them

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost HPP
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 2.250 is 1kw @2ohm at 1% thd just incase anyone looks and wonders why the 2x500 at 1ohm doesn't correlate, gz also give a 10% thd figure which is 1200 wrms @2ohm bridged

They sure do cost a lot in the USA vs Europe 😮 see the Emma price list for details, it sucks that you guys get hammered for tax and duty on them
You are correct, same goes for importing and exporting to any country over ocean. I think they are $650 euro in Europe which is about $770 usd and then to ship them and pay customs would be $200-$300. It's stupid how expensive shipping is now.

·
Registered
783 Posts
These are wayyy lower distortion than 1% let alone 10%

Check out www.hifitest.de these have some of the LOWEST distortion of any production amplifier as low as many brax.

These measure around 0.02%thd and that’s the older non plus version. The plus have removeable opamps if I’m not mistaken right?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
These are wayyy lower distortion than 1% let alone 10%

Check out www.hifitest.de these have some of the LOWEST distortion of any production amplifier as low as many brax.

These measure around 0.02%thd and that’s the older non plus version. The plus have removeable opamps if I’m not mistaken right?

That’s not how power measurement with reference to distortion works! It is measured power at x amount of distortion, it is not the minimum amount of distortion or how much distortion it always has 🙈 you don’t get the same amount of distortion from an amp at all power levels...

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s not how power measurement with reference to distortion works! It is measured power at x amount of distortion, it is not the minimum amount of distortion or how much distortion it always has 🙈 you don’t get the same amount of distortion from an amp at all power levels...
Shhhh lol jk jk, but you are right, however, they still are impressive at the power levels obtained at 1% distortion for a class a biased class a/b amp.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Shhhh lol jk jk, but you are right, however, they still are impressive at the power levels obtained at 1% distortion for a class a biased class a/b amp.
Your preaching to the choir... I had two 4.150sq and a 2.250sq later versions in my Emma build a few years back, I upgraded to a zapco z150.6ap which was a good step up further

·
Registered
783 Posts
That’s why I said “as low as” - The highest that amp measures is still way lower than 1% except the 1 ohm measurement in full clip. If you’re running at 1 ohm then it’s a subwoofer and doesn’t matter as much anyways...

The 4 ohm measurement is what I was referring to.
Here’s 4, 2 and 1 ohm measurements

·
Registered
783 Posts
Your preaching to the choir... I had two 4.150sq and a 2.250sq later versions in my Emma build a few years back, I upgraded to a zapco z150.6ap which was a good step up further
the zapco measures higher distortion at 4 ohms, 0.02% instead of 0.004% - I still don’t doubt your experience. At that low of distortion levels many other factors are involved...I actually own a Zapco AP and I’m very happy to hear that because I’ve been considering buying some of these Ground Zero‘s. The ground zeros even have burr brown op amps... it makes you wonder how there are so many factors that play into sonic signatures... probably a lot subjective because I’ve heard stellar reviews of both. But technically on paper the ground zero has lower distortion and higher damping factor... jus sayin..

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the zapco measures higher distortion at 4 ohms, 0.02% instead of 0.004% - I still don’t doubt your experience. At that low of distortion levels many other factors are involved...I actually own a Zapco AP and I’m very happy to hear that because I’ve been considering buying some of these Ground Zero‘s. The ground zeros even have burr brown op amps... it makes you wonder how there are so many factors that play into sonic signatures... probably a lot subjective because I’ve heard stellar reviews of both. But technically on paper the ground zero has lower distortion and higher damping factor... jus sayin..
The values you are quoting are off the original design before the Plus model like the ones I am selling. The Plus verions should be slightly better performing. In my opinion, I like the higher-quality offerings from zapco but their lower lines are really a cash grab, nothing special but the marketing material tries to seduce you to think otherwise. When comparing the high-end zapco amplifier to these you are now in a realm of quality that the differences are minor. I still believe the ground zero is slightly better but that is just from my experience. You can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The values you are quoting are off the original design before the Plus model like the ones I am selling. The Plus verions should be slightly better performing. In my opinion, I like the higher-quality offerings from zapco but their lower lines are really a cash grab, nothing special but the marketing material tries to seduce you to think otherwise. When comparing the high-end zapco amplifier to these you are now in a realm of quality that the differences are minor. I still believe the ground zero is slightly better but that is just from my experience. You can't go wrong either way.
You're right, that's the old GZUA SQ and yours are the GZUA SQ Plus - I know they added the adjustible bias and the upgraded op amps... supposedly the zapco AP has adjustible bias... im not sure how to adjust it properly... there are tiny little pots on the board....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You're right, that's the old GZUA SQ and yours are the GZUA SQ Plus - I know they added the adjustible bias and the upgraded op amps... supposedly the zapco AP has adjustible bias... im not sure how to adjust it properly... there are tiny little pots on the board....
All amps have some form of adjustable bias, you should not adjust it, it is not the same as what the ground zero amps have!

The design on the gz isn’t the same pot... it’s a ‘from and to’ in a set range so you can’t screw anything up, it also has a set of master pots like a zapco has...

Think of it like a variable Rev limiter with a master control that allows your car to Rev from 0 to 20000revs, then a fine tuning pot that adjusts by 1000 revs

You’d set the master pot to 8000 revs to suit the engine, but then give the customer the fine tuning pot to adjust from 7000-8000

Zapcos only have the master pot... you could dial it to 20000 revs... but guess how that ends, gz and the zapco both have master pots to dial in the bias, but gz allow you to fine tune the bias a touch, however it’s not class a... don’t anyone think these amps will be class A if you dial them that way, from memory you get 0.8a to 1.4a on the positive input from full class ab to ‘towards class A’, to give you an idea if these were class a that figure would be more like 50+ amps

The adjustment when ab’d made very little difference from my listening perspective 🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
783 Posts
All amps have some form of adjustable bias, you should not adjust it, it is not the same as what the ground zero amps have!

The design on the gz isn’t the same pot... it’s a ‘from and to’ in a set range so you can’t screw anything up, it also has a set of master pots like a zapco has...

Think of it like a variable Rev limiter with a master control that allows your car to Rev from 0 to 20000revs, then a fine tuning pot that adjusts by 1000 revs

You’d set the master pot to 8000 revs to suit the engine, but then give the customer the fine tuning pot to adjust from 7000-8000

Zapcos only have the master pot... you could dial it to 20000 revs... but guess how that ends, gz and the zapco both have master pots to dial in the bias, but gz allow you to fine tune the bias a touch, however it’s not class a... don’t anyone think these amps will be class A if you dial them that way, from memory you get 0.8a to 1.4a on the positive input from full class ab to ‘towards class A’, to give you an idea if these were class a that figure would be more like 50+ amps

The adjustment when ab’d made very little difference from my listening perspective 🤷🏽‍♂️

I know, It's still nice to be able to adjust the tone slightly even if it is minute... I just wonder with the master control if you biased it more towards class A so the Transistors were on more often how hot it would get... It seems to generally lower the efficiency and power output as well... I have not touched the zapco's because I figured that it was not supposed to be user changeable without proper test equipment...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Mine lived on the biased all the way towards class a side, never overheated and I can be enthusiastic shall we say at times with some nice trance and dance music! 👍🏼

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm surprised no one is interested in them yet. I have been gone for several months. Maybe things have slowed down.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts