DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a suggestion in the $200 range? To be clear I am looking for components that can be converted to a coaxial setup. 6.5" and must be around 2.5" mounting depth also. I am most interested in SQ rather than SPL. So far I have found the Kicker RS65.2 and Alpine SPX-17REF. Not sure if either are very good. I heard some Focal 165VB speakers and they were ok but a little bright. Also heard Hertz HSK 165's and they sounded really good. I know both of these are higher end, but thought they might give an idea. Open to offers to if you have something to sell send me a PM.

·
Registered
123 Posts
HAT imagine I6 for $250 would be perfect, as it is a true convertible set. Otherwise something like the Massive CK6 with the braxial mount would probably work. For ease of intallation and SQ, I would personally choose the imagines.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I actually love the kicker RS set! VERY detailed! The QS set is also convertable, as is the JBL 608GTI, Boston PRO60SE, Boston SPZ60s,(realize they may be outside the budget but you never know what you may run into) and the ones listed above as well as a few others that escape me at this moment....(oh yeah, the morel ovation point source are AMAZING but $$$$)

If you can find the prose to fit the budget or if you have enough power...the 608 gti is also REALLY tough to beat. I am in the EXACT same market ;) Kinda leaning to the the RS set myself.... I was SHOCKED when I heard them (a few times now)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard great things about the HAT's but I am not sure I like the integrated tweeter crossover. I really like to mount the crossover outside the door. Too much corrosion in MN with all the salt.

I did find a set of Kicker SS components NIB on local craigslist. The guy will go $200 on them, maybe less. Also could get the RS set on Sonic for around the same. Are the Kicker SS any good?

·
Registered
448 Posts
those new kicker components do sound good. i was shocked! got to listen to a set a couple days ago in a guys car that was at my buddys shop. they were the top QS series though.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I heard great things about the HAT's but I am not sure I like the integrated tweeter crossover. I really like to mount the crossover outside the door. Too much corrosion in MN with all the salt.

I did find a set of Kicker SS components NIB on local craigslist. The guy will go $200 on them, maybe less. Also could get the RS set on Sonic for around the same. Are the Kicker SS any good?
it's only a simple cap for the tweeter....nice :cool:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

I wouldn't over pay for less quality

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

I was also a huge fan of the SS set. (very similar to the qs set, of which I had for a little while..) I dont see you doing better for $200 then that set IMO of course :) You will likely find that many would never give the kicker sets a shot simply because they have preconceived notions about what they produce. Proof is certainly in the pudding for those that have given them a shot. Honestly there are a decent amount of good choices out there....Get out there and try and see if you can demo them? Maybe there are some people on here around you that can demo for you?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Working with a Massive NX4, 4x100. Planning to drive comps with two and an old ID12 with the others bridged.
Cool! Ok, then disregard the JBL 608gti...You would have to bridge that amp on those :)
If I remember correct the SS set is a 3ohm load? (could be wrong...been a while?) so that may help provide a tad more power? The bostons are a 3ohm load as well. 100 watts will be fine for the other mentions. (100 would be fine for all of them I'm sure, but I am a power freak.....:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Alright met the guy on craigslist and picked up the Kicker SS for $180. Brand new in the plastic still. Now I just need to run wire, deaden and install.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was really tempted by the HAT Imagine speakers. I may regret this, but it seemed like a great deal. Hopefully I will get them in this weekend and report back. They sounded really good in the guys truck that I listened to before buying (he had the same set installed).

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I was really tempted by the HAT Imagine speakers. I may regret this, but it seemed like a great deal. Hopefully I will get them in this weekend and report back. They sounded really good in the guys truck that I listened to before buying (he had the same set installed).
Seriously...If you dont like them or they are not going to work out for you hit me up. I will gladly take them. I know what they are fully capable of and they will also fit my situation to a T!

·
Registered
123 Posts
They look really nice. I have no opinion on the kicker gear, because there aren't any good shops around here that carry the higher end kicker products, mainly just the ks lines. Want to hear your impressions after the install.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright I finally have everything wired up. I spent the whole weekend deadening the doors and getting enough clearance from my window for these monsters to fit. Here is a comparison.

and here in the door:

I am working on tuning now. I am developing a dislike for the CDA-117, why doesn't it have a LPF? I hooked up my sub and found out it plays full range. I set my LPF on my amp, but the range is 50-750 HZ so being exact is difficult. Anyone have an idea how to set this? I do have the focal test disk in lossless on my IPOD and an O-Scope.

Trying to set my time alignment and PEQ. It is sounding better. I set the driver tweeter to +3db and passenger to 0db to try and account for the more off axis response of the drivers door sense they are co-axially mounted.

I may pick up the Imprint box to get some more tuning options.

I am having some trouble getting the levels right between the components and the sub. I set the components gain easily with the o-scope. When setting the sub gain, which is bridged on the rear channels of the Massive NX4 I didn't see clipping, but rather some leading edge distortion in the signal when the gain was too high. I turned it back until the waveform was clean. The components are way to loud compared to the sub set like this. The sub is an old ID 12" 4ohm (before IDQ).

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
if you want to set it with the test disc, this will get you close. set your test disc to 70hz tone and set the crossover above 70 hz (anything higher. just set it half way.) take your oscope and mark the voltage level. then start turning the crossover dial. when you see it start going down, you have it close. then just tune by ear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts